Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Plastic pieces in my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 02:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Yesterday I put on my summer wheels. As I was working with changing the front wheels I noticed a plastic thingy in my suspension protection tube, see picture. The piece was loose and was clearly not supposed to be there?

As expected the same plastic pieces were found both left and right front suspension. As I have a touring the suspension set up is different in the rear, so I guess that explains why I did not find the same plastic pieces in the rear suspension.

However, what the h... is this?

I assume these plastic pieces are used for transportation purposes, does anybody know?

I must say it is a little bit embarrassing to not have noticed this, but on the other hand, the pieces where crushed into the top part pf the suspension. I therefore don't think that the plastic pieces have obstructed the suspension in any way, at least not at normal driving. I bought the car at 6000km and had it delivered, maybe the BMW dealer put these pieces in prior to delivery, or do you think these pieces have been in there since day one?

Who can I blame (besides my self for not noticing earlier)?

A visual inspection shows some damage to the protection tube, and some other wear on the sporty suspension absorber (yellow plastic guide).

Is there anything that needs to be replaced?

any thoughts?

To me it seems like there has been made a mistake at first delivery, and hence this should be a warranty issue?

Plastic pieces in my suspension-dscn3636x.jpg
Plastic pieces in my suspension-dsc00185.jpg
Plastic pieces in my suspension-dsc00186.jpg
Plastic pieces in my suspension-dsc00187.jpg
Plastic pieces in my suspension-dsc00189.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Plastic pieces in my suspension-dsc00184.jpg  
Old 04-15-2006, 02:58 AM
Senior Members

Isn't that a part of the transport protection?!! The dealer forgot to uninstall it, before you got the car! Just bring it in to your dealer again, and show them your suspension..
Old 04-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Those parts seem not the be where they should be.

But why would they be there, to support the suspension?
What would the idea be with that?
Old 04-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

When I want to see my car pre-delivery, there were still some parts installed in the suspension which made it sit much higher than normal. I actualy got a fright initially, and asked the dealer what was up.

They did not go into detail about the parts, except that they were there for and during transportation.

Did your car look a bit high?
Old 04-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I think those are shipping blocks... the dealer was suppose to remove that after delivery!
Old 04-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Yup those are the shipping suspension blocks.. just bring it back to the dealer they should replace everything that was damaged from it.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

i don't like the crack boot.
i'll be mad if this happens to me.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rollee' post='270052' date='Apr 16 2006, 09:49 PM
i don't like the crack boot.
i'll be mad if this happens to me.
I agree, poor dealer prep, the car should never be driven with those parts installed still. If so only rolled around the parking lot. I agree with the previous posters, make sure to bring it into the dealer and make them replace the boots, as well as any damaged struts.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by Bobkare' post='269399' date='Apr 15 2006, 11:26 AM
Hi

Yesterday I put on my summer wheels. As I was working with changing the front wheels I noticed a plastic thingy in my suspension protection tube, see picture. The piece was loose and was clearly not supposed to be there?

As expected the same plastic pieces were found both left and right front suspension. As I have a touring the suspension set up is different in the rear, so I guess that explains why I did not find the same plastic pieces in the rear suspension.

However, what the h... is this?

I assume these plastic pieces are used for transportation purposes, does anybody know?

I must say it is a little bit embarrassing to not have noticed this, but on the other hand, the pieces where crushed into the top part pf the suspension. I therefore don't think that the plastic pieces have obstructed the suspension in any way, at least not at normal driving. I bought the car at 6000km and had it delivered, maybe the BMW dealer put these pieces in prior to delivery, or do you think these pieces have been in there since day one?

Who can I blame (besides my self for not noticing earlier)?

A visual inspection shows some damage to the protection tube, and some other wear on the sporty suspension absorber (yellow plastic guide).

Is there anything that needs to be replaced?

any thoughts?

To me it seems like there has been made a mistake at first delivery, and hence this should be a warranty issue?

Attachment 17843
Attachment 17839
Attachment 17840
Attachment 17841
Attachment 17842
What a lousy dealer and dangerous too I'd clean him
Old 04-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW#5' post='269522' date='Apr 15 2006, 07:58 PM
When I want to see my car pre-delivery, there were still some parts installed in the suspension which made it sit much higher than normal. I actualy got a fright initially, and asked the dealer what was up.

They did not go into detail about the parts, except that they were there for and during transportation.

Did your car look a bit high?
No, it did not look a bit high. As you can see of the picture the pieces are out of position, not sentered so to speak. It seems like it is only the protection tube that have kept the pieces in place. I cannot say I notice any difference after removing them either, so I'm pretty sure they have not obstructed the movement of the suspension. I will try to figure out where they come from in the first place, and how long they have been there.

Can anybody confirm that these plastic pieces / Shipping blocks are original BMW items?

Quick Reply: Plastic pieces in my suspension