Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Performance Center Delivery questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few questions about the Performance Center Delivery; I've read all the posts here, and read the FAQ on BMW's site, and they didn't answer them so here they are:

1) Is there any way to know how much additional time a PCD will add to the delivery time? Some posts say one week, and others say a month. I'm assuming that it is an impossible question to answer, since it would depend on the center's workload, but thought I'd ask anyway. Normally I'd just wait it out, but I could end up driving a rear wheel drive car back to NH in December - something I'd like to avoid with the stock tires.

2) Will they guarantee that your track car will at least be the same series as your purchased car? I've done the 2 day driving school there in a 330i, and I'll be buying a 535i. If they are going to put me in a 335, then the value of the PDC for me goes down a lot. The almost 1,000 mile drive home is worth it if I get a 5er to play with, but not if it is a 3 series. I'm guessing their position is "We do our best to put you in a car as close as possible to your car, but can't say for sure". Has anyone picked up a 5er and been put in a 3er for the track time?

3) Regarding the drive home and the break-in period: the break in specs say to vary your speed for the first 1,200 miles - if I'm on the highway for 1,000 miles, that really isn't all that feasible. Could a trip of 1K miles right off the bat violate/harm the break in?

4) Does BMW give you temp plates, or do you have to go to your local DMV and pick those up yourself?

Any feedback/answers greatly appreciated - thanks!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Members

Here is the body of an email they sent me for my PCD. It will answer most of your questions. I am also curious about the break in period though, but I only have a 250 mile drive. My dealer wants payment 10 days prior to delivery and I expect to leave there with a temp tag for the drive home. I was told that they build in about a 10 day buffer for delivery snafu's when they make an initial offer for a delivery date. If you can't make it on that day, you have to give them three days that your are available within 10 business days after the one they gave you.

"Due to production schedules, weather, and other unforeseeable circumstances, your delivery date cannot be guaranteed until three weeks prior to your delivery. For this reason, please do not make travel arrangements until three weeks prior to your delivery date. In the unlikely event we are notified of a delay for your vehicle, we will contact you immediately to arrange a new date.

BMW Manufacturing has temporarily cancelled public tours of their factory while new models are under development. We are very excited about the new developments and we hope you understand the need for us to protect company secrets. Information about the new models will be announced at the appropriate time.

Please note the following information:
? You and one guest are entitled to participate in the delivery program.
? Participants must be 15 years of age and present a valid driver?s license (participants under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a legal guardian).
? We provide hotel accommodations for the night prior to your delivery date at the Greenville Marriott (including meals for dinner and breakfast).
? Childcare services are not available through us or the hotel.
? If you do not plan to arrive the night prior to your delivery, please refer to the Helpful Reminders sheet for directions to our facility. We start promptly at 8am, so be sure to arrive before then.
? Your day will conclude around 3 p.m.
? Although laws vary from state-to-state, South Carolina requires all vehicles driven in-state to be registered and insured. Therefore we highly recommend that you bring the bill-of-sale as well as proof of insurance for your new vehicle.
? A helpful reminders sheet is attached which gives you instructions on how to contact the Marriott for transportation to the hotel once you arrive at the GSP airport. It also provides you with the most common driving directions that may be needed.
? Please submit the attached Travel form three weeks prior to your delivery date. We will make all necessary hotel arrangements for you.

We hope your trip here will be a highlight in your automotive experiences and we look forward to meeting you soon. If you have any questions regarding your delivery, please contact us at (864) 968-3000. For more information, visit:
www.bmwusa.com/PerformanceCenter/Delivery.htm

Please view the attached documents:
- Helpful Reminders Sheet
- Travel Form (to be completed three weeks prior to your delivery date)
- South Carolina Use Tax Information
Helpful_Reminders__no_factory_tour_.pdf
Customer_Tax_Letter__email_attachment_.pdf

Cancellations
If you need to cancel your Performance Center Delivery, notify the BMW Center from whom you ordered the vehicle immediately. They will have to submit a cancellation form for your vehicle. Please note the following two situations:
- If the vehicle has already been shipped to the BMW Performance Center, you are responsible for any shipping charges that apply to transport the vehicle back to your selling BMW Center. Vehicles are normally delivered to our facility approximately 2 weeks prior to your delivery date.
- If the vehicle has not been shipped to the BMW Performance Center, the vehicle will simply be re-routed to be transported to your selling BMW Center at no additional cost."

Best of luck with your decision.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

bdkinnh, I've attempted to answer what I can in red below:

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='468843' date='Sep 12 2007, 03:58 PM
I have a few questions about the Performance Center Delivery; I've read all the posts here, and read the FAQ on BMW's site, and they didn't answer them so here they are:

1) Is there any way to know how much additional time a PCD will add to the delivery time? Some posts say one week, and others say a month. I'm assuming that it is an impossible question to answer, since it would depend on the center's workload, but thought I'd ask anyway. Normally I'd just wait it out, but I could end up driving a rear wheel drive car back to NH in December - something I'd like to avoid with the stock tires.
You are correct -- it's tough to tell. I think they added two or three weeks to my date back in 2004. They just want to be sure that no unexpected delay at the ports or the VPC/VDC would cause you to show up and not have a car waiting for you.

2) Will they guarantee that your track car will at least be the same series as your purchased car? I've done the 2 day driving school there in a 330i, and I'll be buying a 535i. If they are going to put me in a 335, then the value of the PDC for me goes down a lot. The almost 1,000 mile drive home is worth it if I get a 5er to play with, but not if it is a 3 series. I'm guessing their position is "We do our best to put you in a car as close as possible to your car, but can't say for sure". Has anyone picked up a 5er and been put in a 3er for the track time?
I suppose they'll never guarantee anything but I will say they make every effort to have the same model car with at least the same motor and transmission combination waiting for you. Back in 2004, my 545i SMG was one of the first built (early March 2004 production -- the earliest they offered SMG) and I was worried that they'd never have an SMG at the Performance Center for me to take on the track. Like you, I felt that this would be a huge bummer since the main reason I chose PCD was to have an expert show me the SMG on a test track instead of a salesperson show it to me in a dealership parking lot. The day of my delivery, low and behold there was a 545i SMG sitting there (in addition to my car) with about 50 miles on it. They said my car was the first SMG E60 they'd seen so obviously they received the other one just in time for my delivery date.

3) Regarding the drive home and the break-in period: the break in specs say to vary your speed for the first 1,200 miles - if I'm on the highway for 1,000 miles, that really isn't all that feasible. Could a trip of 1K miles right off the bat violate/harm the break in?
Vary your speed doesn't mean a wide variance. Basically, on the way home, avoid using cruise control for long periods of time and have some fun with the gas pedal. They just don't want to see everything spinning the same speed for long periods of time. If you want, you can always drop down a gear to let the motor run a little higher, etc. while maintaining a set speed. One of the best things about PCD is that your break-in can be done in a few days, rather than a few weeks or a month!

4) Does BMW give you temp plates, or do you have to go to your local DMV and pick those up yourself?
Any feedback/answers greatly appreciated - thanks!They should have all the paperwork for your plates ready and on the car when you get there. Obviously you'll need to take care of the paperwork at the dealership first. In my state, Pennsylvania, they used a cardboard temporary plate and once I got the car home, I took it to the dealership for our state inspection stickers and a metal license plate. It was quite painless since everything is very well organized and managed down there.
Good luck! I expect a full report with pictures posted up in the Performance Center Delivery section of the Gallery!
Old 09-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Contributors

Very helpful - thanks!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Members

I can tell you that I own a 530xi and did a "mock" delivery (I already had my car) last December. They let me drive a 530i (not an xi) and an X5 4.8 because they didn't have an xi for me to drive. Everyone else got their same model (like a 550 for someone picking up a 550), maybe not the same options.

You will really enjoy it.

I'm sure all the instructors are great, but Donny Isley was a blast.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I found the following site and don't remember seeing it before:
http://www.performancecenterdelivery.com

Take a look at the FAQ for more information...

(One thing I didn't know about -- or forgot about, I can't remember -- is that you can do an ED and a PCD on the same car. How cool is that? )