Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

original ordering to delivery time

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I have heard alot of people ordering cars and waiting months to get them or never having received a production or VIN numbers.

Also, I have found the BMW owners circle tracking to be only a few days behind the car. The cargo ship tracking info was spot on.

I ordered a 545i SMG car on February 26. I got a production or build number the next day. The VIN number was a few days later.
It started production on March 12 and finished on the 18th. It shipped on March 29th and landed in NJ on April 10. It arrived at my dealer today and I am picking up the car on Saturday. A total of seven weeks.

Keep in mind that someone who is frustrated with delays is going to be more vocal that satisfied people, thus all of the negative postings.

As I haven't driven a E60 SMG car, I hope you are all wrong about how bad that is too.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60

Order time has NOTHING to do with deliever time. You may order one day, but the build day may be months away. Build day has to do with dealer allocation or options available. For example, if you ordered Nav in November, it wasn't avalable until February builds. Also, you may have ordered in December, but your dealer didn't have allocation until February.

Here's the deal in a ROUGH nutshell...

Determine when your car should be built. Ask your dealer -- they should know.

But when it's built, count on a rough estimate of...

-East Coast USA: 3 weeks later until you get it
-West Coast USA: 7-8 weeks later until you get it

Just my observations about US cars.

Again, it has NOTHING to do with order day. It all has to do with BUILD day.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Members

My Ride: Pretty basic I guess. I have the sport, premium and cold weather pkgs. I took a risk on color selection by getting the monaco blue exterior with the auburn seats and door panels. I love both colors but have not seen the two together.

Actually the 'build day/date' has nothing to do with anything. Because, from that point it goes to the loading dock and waits and waits and waits. Mine has been sitting there for 2 weeks+ with no prediction of when it will get here. BMW has certainly messed up on this aspect. How can a quality car company like this be part of such inefficient transport management? I refuse to believe that every car built after mine is also still waiting there. I will never do this again.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by davemancini' post='244835' date='Feb 23 2006, 08:32 PM
Actually the 'build day/date' has nothing to do with anything. Because, from that point it goes to the loading dock and waits and waits and waits. Mine has been sitting there for 2 weeks+ with no prediction of when it will get here. BMW has certainly messed up on this aspect. How can a quality car company like this be part of such inefficient transport management? I refuse to believe that every car built after mine is also still waiting there. I will never do this again.
The logistics are not always as logic as one would like.

There has to be a full shipload of cars going overseas before
they send it.
Since BMW is a realtively small car producer it probaly has to
wait for some Audis and M-Bs as well to get the ship full.

It all has to do with efficency...

Just try to keep cool.

PS. There has been some threads about flys in the rearlamps.
That's because the cars wait for shipment in the port.
My '99 320Ci had a mouse nest built in the engine compartment
do to the wait
Old 02-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='244840' date='Feb 23 2006, 02:40 PM
The logistics are not always as logic as one would like.

There has to be a full shipload of cars going overseas before
they send it.
Since BMW is a realtively small car producer it probaly has to
wait for some Audis and M-Bs as well to get the ship full.

It all has to do with efficency...

Just try to keep cool.

PS. There has been some threads about flys in the rearlamps.
That's because the cars wait for shipment in the port.
My '99 320Ci had a mouse nest built in the engine compartment
do to the wait
Didn't the 99 320Ci have a mouse for an engine. Maybe it was just looking for company?