Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Ordering 520SE this week - airbags and sunblinds?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520dSE black xenon adaptive headlights beige leather logic7 sunroof

Thanks Rudy - your research is quite reassuring.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by buddman' post='324423' date='Aug 19 2006, 05:57 PM
Regarding a childs ability to lean about in a booster seat, at least here in the UK, BMW packages the rear airbags with seatbelt pre-tensioners. I was hoping that the pre-tensioners would lock the kid into the booster seat a bit more to prevent this wandering about

Thoughts
Hi buddman, I think - but do not know for certain, that kids in the UK need to be in car seats until they are 11 or a certain height. That should ensure that they are kept away from the door a suitable distance. We use an isofix base and I cant see an airbag moving that when it's locked in place. As I say I am not sure on this and Im sure others will be along to comment.

On a totally seperate note (and going way off topic) I have an SE and not keen on the seats at all. I would suggest looking at the comfort seats if in budget. I am changing my 520d SE for a 520d M Sport with leather interior. The sport seats make life a little more comfortable but no where close to the comfort seats I suspect. The sport drive is great as well - SE is good but a little too relaxed for me.

probably a post of thoughts more than advice.

Cheers
Old 08-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by buddman' post='324402' date='Aug 19 2006, 04:40 PM
... I?ve opted for SE in black with beige cloth interior, HI-Fi....Thanks - Buddman

Hi,

The only issue I think I'd have with the beige cloth (or any light cloth material) is stains along the bolster and outside of the seat from water dripping down when opening the doors. After a rain shower that is. You'll probably find other reports where people complain about the roof design which allows standing water to dribble in on to the seats. It has certainly happened to me few times.

I previously had beige leather and didn't notice anything. A friend had a 520i with beige cloth and both front seats looked very dirty. He said to me it was water from the roof. He eventually had it valet'ed before changing to a 520d with grey cloth.

Just something to think about.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 520dSE black xenon adaptive headlights beige leather logic7 sunroof

Comfort seats - ?1395!

Regarding the beige sunblinds, can I ask the dealer to order them in black, or am I stuck with beige?
Old 08-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by buddman' post='324438' date='Aug 19 2006, 06:48 PM
Comfort seats - ?1395!

Regarding the beige sunblinds, can I ask the dealer to order them in black, or am I stuck with beige?
And you'll probably have to go leather as well if u go comfort seat

Re the seats, obviously different strokes for different folks. I don't find the sport seats particularly comfortable. They look better mind.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:04 AM
Members

Hello! My E60 has the optional airbags in the rear, and I have 3 year old and 10 week old daughters. We use the E60 for most of our long journeys. The 3 year old is now in a booster seat (although it still has sides of a kind) that allows her a little more freedom to move about.

I've not disabled the rear airbags and don't intend to - the three year old can't really get that close to the door when she's sitting properly. If she's not sitting properly then she gets a good talking to because that's not safe in any kind of impact, sidewards or no.

I'm also of the opinion that the "if your kid's head is resting on the door in a side impact, airbags are dangerous" argument is just a non-starter. If your kid's head is resting against the door when a truck decides to try and make an entrance, I don't think the word "safe" really comes into it. You don't want them resting against the door regardless of whether you have airbags.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by MrTrilby' post='324888' date='Aug 21 2006, 08:04 AM
Hello! My E60 has the optional airbags in the rear, and I have 3 year old and 10 week old daughters. We use the E60 for most of our long journeys. The 3 year old is now in a booster seat (although it still has sides of a kind) that allows her a little more freedom to move about.

I've not disabled the rear airbags and don't intend to - the three year old can't really get that close to the door when she's sitting properly. If she's not sitting properly then she gets a good talking to because that's not safe in any kind of impact, sidewards or no.

I'm also of the opinion that the "if your kid's head is resting on the door in a side impact, airbags are dangerous" argument is just a non-starter. If your kid's head is resting against the door when a truck decides to try and make an entrance, I don't think the word "safe" really comes into it. You don't want them resting against the door regardless of whether you have airbags.
MrTrilby gets it...