Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

ordered new car

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats and welcome aboard, gb525dtour !
Old 03-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D SE Touring, Titanium Grey, 122 Wheels, Pro Nav, Pro Phone, Pro Radio, Advanced Air, 6 Disc Autochanger, Dakota Black Leather, Auto, Panoramic Sunroof, De chrome, mats, Bi-xenons, PDC, Service inclusive and Tracker.

Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='Mar 2 2005, 10:45 PM
[quote name='cashvanveen' date='Mar 2 2005, 08:17 PM'][quote name='GB525dTour' date='Mar 2 2005, 02:02 PM']I recently placed an order for my new ride - e61 525dSE. Expanding family so need more space/versatility. ? ?

What an awesome forum!! I've been 'lurking' as a guest to get good user info on the car. I have to say that I got more information from this forum than from the dealership; in fact, I educated the salesperson on a few things.

Managed to negotiate a reasonable 6.25% discount with trade-in. I did look at brokers (offering 7-8%) but felt that I would probable lose on the trade-in as most are not geared up with this in mind. So I felt the cost to change would probably work out the same.

I have read a lot of posts on the runflats & IMO the 17" that have been on cars I test drove - Around town the ride is smooth & quiet, however on motorways (freeways to those in US) the road noise was significant, I also experienced some tramlining. Coupled with this - get a puncture --> replace the tyre! Runflats are not repairable & expensive.

Comfort seats: enough said!

Thanks to everyone for helping me decide on spec for my ride... soon to arrive.
I say again... Awesome forum!! Sure is addictive too!
[snapback]95990[/snapback]
Don't tell me you have 3 small children?
We do and can not get all three seats across the rear!
Bumma really.
Good choice, my wife likes her E61 except for the soon to be seat issue!

Cheers Paul
[snapback]96153[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks ... at present 2 children (10 yr old boy & 14 month girl) but also one in utero! We see the 10 year old in the middle, child seats at sides. We looked at many cars & already have an MPV (wife's car) so didn't see the point in us both having one. Will you be sticking with the e61.

Pete
[snapback]96247[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pete

The rate we are going I think the E61 will be going to a new home. We will soon have 3 under 3 years old so the seat issue is a real problem and it's ?450 to have the airbag switched off so who knows.

Goodluck Paul
Old 03-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Welcome! I'm jealous that you can get an E61. The US won't have them until maybe fall 2005. I think wife/I are about to add a 325ix (AWD touring body in the 3 series) to our garage, in addition to my E60.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

[/quote]

Pete

The rate we are going I think the E61 will be going to a new home. We will soon have 3 under 3 years old so the seat issue is a real problem and it's ?450 to have the airbag switched off so who knows.

Goodluck Paul
[snapback]98733[/snapback]
[/quote]

Paul

Doesn't the e60/e61 have "Automatic deactivation of the passenger airbags". The US manual I downloaded from this website states "Your BMW has a seat occupation detection system. By evaluating the weight on the front passeger seat, the system detects whether or not the seat is occupied by a child in the child restraint system or an adult".

If the above is correct then you should be OK to have a child (restrained appropriately) in the front seat - check the manual. Generally though we are advised to have children in the rear. The disadvantage of having passenger aibags turned off completely is that adults are not protected.

According to the manual there is a 'lamp above the rear view mirror' that indicates the system is activated or not. If it lights up continuously then passenger airbag is deactivated. Experiment in your driveway - see what happens.

I do not know the weight at which the airbags become active. Nor whether this is only for US cars or for Europe as well.

Can anyone confirm this?

Pete
Old 03-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='Mar 9 2005, 03:02 PM
I do not know the weight at which the airbags become active. Nor whether this is only for US cars or for Europe as well.
[snapback]99061[/snapback]
I don't know the weight either, but there is a sensor in the passenger seat and when it detects a passenger the airbag will deploy in case of an accident. Isn't it the same sensor for the seat belt chime? I think it is.
Anyways, it's not just US...
Old 03-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Members

The ride on my now departed 17" 116 alloys was excellent- no noise from Dunlop Run Flats at 7,500 miles.
My new Sport on 18" Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 Run Flats is slightly firmer but perfectly acceptable.
BTW I do not understand why everyone keeps saying run flats are not repairable - they are!!. A friend of mine is a manager with Dunlop UK and he assures me run flats are just as repairable as ordinary tyres. However the Tyre repairer needs to have the correct equipment to remove the run flats from the rim and needs to have been on the manufacturers training course. Apparently most reasonably sized towns in UK have at least one authorised repairer.
Mark-Yorkshire
Old 03-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Contributors

There aren't any local shgops around here that repair runflats. They have to be sent out. I live in NYC.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='Mar 9 2005, 06:02 AM

Pete

Goodluck Paul
[/quote]

Paul and Pete,

I have 3 kids. I put my 9 year old in the middle without a booster. He straps in last after his siblings on either side a 5 yr old and 7 year old in back less boosters strap themselves in. 3 in the back in relative comfort with no problem. On long drives they might get on each others nerves so we take the Odyssey.

Once in while the older two, if I am alone with them get to ride in the front as a treat. They are on the backless booster so that they have a good view of the road and so that the seat belt is correctly positioned. The seat is as far back as possible and the airbag is deactivated. I beleive you need over 100 lbs in the passenger seat to activate it.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

Originally Posted by Mark-Yorkshire' date='Mar 9 2005, 10:39 PM
The ride on my now departed 17" 116 alloys was excellent- no noise from Dunlop Run Flats at 7,500 miles.
My new Sport on 18" Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 Run Flats is slightly firmer but perfectly acceptable.
BTW I do not understand why everyone keeps saying run flats are not repairable - they are!!. A friend of mine is a manager with Dunlop UK and he assures me run flats are just as repairable as ordinary tyres. However the Tyre repairer needs to have the correct equipment to remove the run flats from the rim and needs to have been on the manufacturers training course. Apparently most reasonably sized towns in UK have at least one authorised repairer.
Mark-Yorkshire
[snapback]99265[/snapback]
Bridgestone don't appear to recommend it!

http://www.bridgestone-eu.com/upload/album/AP_911.pdf

--> See Page 11 (slide Number 23)
Old 03-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D SE Touring, Titanium Grey, 122 Wheels, Pro Nav, Pro Phone, Pro Radio, Advanced Air, 6 Disc Autochanger, Dakota Black Leather, Auto, Panoramic Sunroof, De chrome, mats, Bi-xenons, PDC, Service inclusive and Tracker.

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Mar 10 2005, 01:58 AM
[quote name='GB525dTour' date='Mar 9 2005, 06:02 AM']

Pete

Goodluck Paul
[/quote]

Paul and Pete,

I have 3 kids. I put my 9 year old in the middle without a booster. He straps in last after his siblings on either side a 5 yr old and 7 year old in back less boosters strap themselves in. 3 in the back in relative comfort with no problem. On long drives they might get on each others nerves so we take the Odyssey.

Once in while the older two, if I am alone with them get to ride in the front as a treat. They are on the backless booster so that they have a good view of the road and so that the seat belt is correctly positioned. The seat is as far back as possible and the airbag is deactivated. I beleive you need over 100 lbs in the passenger seat to activate it.
[snapback]99448[/snapback]
[/quote]

Guys

Nice idea but if my wife puts her rather full handbag on the front passenger seat the seat belt warning starts to chime. So I take it that the airbag would be activated if the seat belt is done up?
I don't think we get the same as the US, I have never read about in the manual or noticed a warning light to tell you the airbag is deactivated.

Paul

Quick Reply: ordered new car