Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

ordered new car

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 05:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

I recently placed an order for my new ride - e61 525dSE. Expanding family so need more space/versatility.

What an awesome forum!! I've been 'lurking' as a guest to get good user info on the car. I have to say that I got more information from this forum than from the dealership; in fact, I educated the salesperson on a few things.

Managed to negotiate a reasonable 6.25% discount with trade-in. I did look at brokers (offering 7-8%) but felt that I would probable lose on the trade-in as most are not geared up with this in mind. So I felt the cost to change would probably work out the same.

I have read a lot of posts on the runflats & IMO the 17" that have been on cars I test drove - Around town the ride is smooth & quiet, however on motorways (freeways to those in US) the road noise was significant, I also experienced some tramlining. Coupled with this - get a puncture --> replace the tyre! Runflats are not repairable & expensive.

Comfort seats: enough said!

Thanks to everyone for helping me decide on spec for my ride... soon to arrive.
I say again... Awesome forum!! Sure is addictive too!
Old 03-02-2005, 05:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Welcome to the boards GB525dTour. You have ordered a nice combination for your vehicle. Unfortunately, for us in NA, we can only order the E61 as a 530xiT. So much for choice.

For those of us on the other side of the pond, what do you mean by "tramlining"?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

Originally Posted by ademitt' date='Mar 2 2005, 02:17 PM
Welcome to the boards GB525dTour.? You have ordered a nice combination for your vehicle.? Unfortunately, for us in NA, we can only order the E61 as a 530xiT.? So much for choice.

For those of us on the other side of the pond, what do you mean by "tramlining"?
[snapback]95994[/snapback]

Tramlining is when directional control is disrupted by a vehicle's tendency to follow the longitudinal ruts and/or grooves in the road. It is more common in high profile (wider tyre & therefore more chance to come into contact with ruts/grooves) and runflat tyres (stiffer sidewalls).
Old 03-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='Mar 2 2005, 02:02 PM
I have read a lot of posts on the runflats & IMO the 17" that have been on cars I test drove - Around town the ride is smooth & quiet, however on motorways (freeways to those in US) the road noise was significant, I also experienced some tramlining. Coupled with this - get a puncture --> replace the tyre! Runflats are not repairable & expensive.
Congrats!

The 16" wheels look far too small - the best option is to buy some after market non-runflats... Don't go too wide to minimise tramlining...
Old 03-02-2005, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Mar 2 2005, 03:55 PM
[quote name='GB525dTour' date='Mar 2 2005, 02:02 PM']I have read a lot of posts on the runflats & IMO the 17" that have been on cars I test drove - Around town the ride is smooth & quiet, however on motorways (freeways to those in US) the road noise was significant, I also experienced some tramlining. Coupled with this - get a puncture --> replace the tyre! Runflats are not repairable & expensive.
Congrats!

The 16" wheels look far too small - the best option is to buy some after market non-runflats... Don't go too wide to minimise tramlining...
[snapback]96020[/snapback]
[/quote]

Agree.. sort of, but that's yet more ???! I've gone for comfort & don't think the 115 7J 16" look too bad. Standard 16" BMW UK supply look terrible!
Old 03-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='Mar 2 2005, 04:13 PM
[quote name='colejl' date='Mar 2 2005, 03:55 PM'][quote name='GB525dTour' date='Mar 2 2005, 02:02 PM']I have read a lot of posts on the runflats & IMO the 17" that have been on cars I test drove - Around town the ride is smooth & quiet, however on motorways (freeways to those in US) the road noise was significant, I also experienced some tramlining. Coupled with this - get a puncture --> replace the tyre! Runflats are not repairable & expensive.
Congrats!
[/quote]
Agree.. sort of, but that's yet more ???! I've gone for comfort & don't think the 115 7J 16" look too bad. Standard 16" BMW UK supply look terrible!
[/quote]
Indeed, don't get me wrong - it's horses for courses I like big alloys (Eyeing up the new 19" option!!!) but I think the 16" wheels are too small for the size of car. I thought the 'revised' range was dropping the 16's and starting at 17's? Most of the reviews I read preferred the ride and handling with 16's...
Old 03-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, GB525dTour !
Old 03-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D SE Touring, Titanium Grey, 122 Wheels, Pro Nav, Pro Phone, Pro Radio, Advanced Air, 6 Disc Autochanger, Dakota Black Leather, Auto, Panoramic Sunroof, De chrome, mats, Bi-xenons, PDC, Service inclusive and Tracker.
Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='Mar 2 2005, 02:02 PM
I recently placed an order for my new ride - e61 525dSE. Expanding family so need more space/versatility. ? ?

What an awesome forum!! I've been 'lurking' as a guest to get good user info on the car. I have to say that I got more information from this forum than from the dealership; in fact, I educated the salesperson on a few things.

Managed to negotiate a reasonable 6.25% discount with trade-in. I did look at brokers (offering 7-8%) but felt that I would probable lose on the trade-in as most are not geared up with this in mind. So I felt the cost to change would probably work out the same.

[snapback]95990[/snapback]
Don't tell me you have 3 small children?
We do and can not get all three seats across the rear!
Bumma really.
Good choice, my wife likes her E61 except for the soon to be seat issue!

Cheers Paul
Old 03-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='Mar 2 2005, 03:02 PM
I recently placed an order for my new ride - e61 525dSE. Expanding family so need more space/versatility. ? ?

Congrats! Welcome.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cashvanveen' date='Mar 2 2005, 08:17 PM
[quote name='GB525dTour' date='Mar 2 2005, 02:02 PM']I recently placed an order for my new ride - e61 525dSE. Expanding family so need more space/versatility. ? ?

Don't tell me you have 3 small children?
We do and can not get all three seats across the rear!
Bumma really.
Good choice, my wife likes her E61 except for the soon to be seat issue!

Cheers Paul
[snapback]96153[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks ... at present 2 children (10 yr old boy & 14 month girl) but also one in utero! We see the 10 year old in the middle, child seats at sides. We looked at many cars & already have an MPV (wife's car) so didn't see the point in us both having one. Will you be sticking with the e61.

Pete

Quick Reply: ordered new car