Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

New Clutch not under warrenty!!! $1,600 out of pocket

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think it's clear that one of the two issues here is whether or not the clutch wore prematurely due to abuse or a defect.

Warranties cover defects, not abuse. Under normal (and even spirited) driving, a clutch in a BMW shouldn't slip at 13,000 miles like it is on wingfan919's car. If the car was abused by previous drivers, then sure, the clutch could begin to slip this early. No matter how you slice it, one of these two scenarios (defective clutch or abused clutch) took place.

The second issue here deals with the fact that BMW NA was the previous "owner." If this was a standard used car (previously owned by a private individual), then "buyer beware." Since this car was sold as a "promotional car" owned by BMW, then even if it was abused, I think BMW should step up and take care of things.

The service advisor is correct in his logic that BMW warranty won't cover an abused clutch (and rightly so) but hopefully you'll be able to get special treatment from BMW NA in this case and they'll take care of you.

Regardless of the final outcome, you might want to have them start taking the car apart now because I don't think you have any choice at this point. If they determine that there was a defective clutch, you're done. If they determine that there was abuse, you've already started the process of escalating this issue with BMW NA...
Old 07-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='316268' date='Jul 28 2006, 10:30 AM
I think it's clear that one of the two issues here is whether or not the clutch wore prematurely due to abuse or a defect.

Warranties cover defects, not abuse. Under normal (and even spirited) driving, a clutch in a BMW shouldn't slip at 13,000 miles like it is on wingfan919's car. If the car was abused by previous drivers, then sure, the clutch could begin to slip this early. No matter how you slice it, one of these two scenarios (defective clutch or abused clutch) took place.

The second issue here deals with the fact that BMW NA was the previous "owner." If this was a standard used car (previously owned by a private individual), then "buyer beware." Since this car was sold as a "promotional car" owned by BMW, then even if it was abused, I think BMW should step up and take care of things.

The service advisor is correct in his logic that BMW warranty won't cover an abused clutch (and rightly so) but hopefully you'll be able to get special treatment from BMW NA in this case and they'll take care of you.

Regardless of the final outcome, you might want to have them start taking the car apart because I don't think you have any choice at this point. If they determine that there was a defective clutch, you're done. If they determine that there was abuse, you've already started the process of escalating this issue with BMW NA...

Good point Rudy. Another point to add. When I drove at the Skip Barber school years ago they used 3 Series. They also stated that all the cars after x number of miles were sent back to Germany rebuilt from the ground up and then sold. Although these were not BMW owned cars they still were made almost new.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='316269' date='Jul 28 2006, 10:33 AM
Good point Rudy. Another point to add. When I drove at the Skip Barber school years ago they used 3 Series. They also stated that all the cars after x number of miles were sent back to Germany rebuilt from the ground up and then sold. Although these were not BMW owned cars they still were made almost new.
Exactly. I've driven many new cars at BMW and M-B sposored events and in each case, they either rebuild things before reselling them or they add an extended warrranty to cover exactly these issues.

If the car purchased was simply a dealer demo, then I wouldn't expect the same treatment but if the car was owned (or abused) by NA, then they need to take care of this...
Old 07-28-2006, 07:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

Clutches are covered under the Full Maintenace program unless BMW can show abuse. If you read the program in your service booklet, you'll see that all wear and tear items are covered.

Originally Posted by wingfan919' post='316039' date='Jul 27 2006, 06:19 PM
Background:

Car - 2004 545i Manual 6 Speed

Purcahsed - USED Jan. 29th 2006 with 8k Miles

I purchased this car from BMW Bel-Air in Maryland. This car had never been titled and was sold as a promotional car that was used by BMW NA. I've put 5,500 miles on this car since with 2,000 being all highway miles. Leaving 3,500 miles of light driving over the past 7 months.

BMW Erhard in Bloomfiled Hills, MI is where I took my car to get serviced after I noticed my clutch was slipping. I dropped the car off and, Bob Ufolla, my service advisor said that this might not be under warrenty. I was confused. He said that excessive or abusive wear is not under warrenty. I mentioned that I purchased this car used as a BMW North America car and that didn't do anything.

He claims that if it was a defect it would be under warrenty. However, in order to determine if it is a defective clutch, he needs to take the trans. apart which takes 10 hours. In the event that excessive wear exists, I'm responsible for paying the entire labor charge, just to have the trans. taken apart, even if I decide not to change the clutch.

A few points, I think that BMW NA should replace the clutch as it was a demo car and only 5k miles after I purchased it, the clutch goes out. The service warrenty should cover this, right?

Advice please.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My Cars: 2004 545i Black with Balck | 6 Speed Manual | Sports Package | Moon Roof | Adaptive Steering | Smoking Package | Cold Weather Package | Adaptive Xenon | Premium Sound, LOGIC7 | Hard Wired V1 | AUX Input | Only 13K Miles! 2001 530i Green with Tan | Sport Package | Streptronic | Moon Roof | SOLD 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L (Beat my 530i off the line until about 40 MPH) | SOLD 1981 320i destroyed Other family members cars: 2008 Yukon Denali Black with Black 2007 Aston Martin DB9 Cabriolet Black with Black 2006 Mercedes G55 Black with Black | 2004 Yukon XL Denali Black with Tan | 2003 BMW X5 3.0 Silver with Black | Every option available | 2001 Porsche C4 Cabriolet Silver with Black | 6 Speed Manual | 1958 Austin Mini Green with Black Interior 67k Miles, Fully restored in 2003 | Beach Car

Thank you to all of you

I will keep you informed as to what happens.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Senior Members

I had a clutch replaced uder warranty. If you search some of my old posts I had problem with my clutch from just after I got my car. It always gave a little slip/judder after it was really warm and had been driven on for a while. When it was cold it wouldn't do it. Long story short after putting it on the repair order and having a service rep drive it 2 miles I filed lemon papers and the regonal rep came a drove it for a test. He drove about 100 miles before feeling the problem. They replaced the clutch but it took 2 weeks because it was on backorder from germany. There was not one clutch in a warehouse in North America. Well the final repair attempt took to long, and I don't ave the car anymore.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wingfan919' post='316039' date='Jul 28 2006, 02:19 AM
Background:

Car - 2004 545i Manual 6 Speed

Purcahsed - USED Jan. 29th 2006 with 8k Miles

I purchased this car from BMW Bel-Air in Maryland. This car had never been titled and was sold as a promotional car that was used by BMW NA. I've put 5,500 miles on this car since with 2,000 being all highway miles. Leaving 3,500 miles of light driving over the past 7 months.

BMW Erhard in Bloomfiled Hills, MI is where I took my car to get serviced after I noticed my clutch was slipping. I dropped the car off and, Bob Ufolla, my service advisor said that this might not be under warrenty. I was confused. He said that excessive or abusive wear is not under warrenty. I mentioned that I purchased this car used as a BMW North America car and that didn't do anything.

He claims that if it was a defect it would be under warrenty. However, in order to determine if it is a defective clutch, he needs to take the trans. apart which takes 10 hours. In the event that excessive wear exists, I'm responsible for paying the entire labor charge, just to have the trans. taken apart, even if I decide not to change the clutch.

A few points, I think that BMW NA should replace the clutch as it was a demo car and only 5k miles after I purchased it, the clutch goes out. The service warrenty should cover this, right?

Advice please.

In the UK a 'BMW approved used car' is supposed to be checked and any mechanical defects recified. I imagine this is similar in the USA so you should have been able to have confidence that the clutch was fine prior to purchase.

The clutch is a consumable and in normal use it will wear - but I have never had to change one in any of my BMW's.

If you've been driving around with your foot resting on the clutch pedal (or have been slipping it badly when changing gear) you could have burned it out in 5000 miles.

You'll know yourself if you have been doing this - if not you can be confident that this is a defect and should be fixed FOC under warranty.

I would take the approach that I am NOT paying for it - because I KNOW I didn't burn it out. If the dealer maintaining the car has a problem - refer him to the people you bought it from and tell him to 'sort it out with them'.