Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Need some advice on the option

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I pulled the trigger on a 530xi with premium and nav packages available in Canada. The premium package include the following:
Exterior Auto Dimming Mirror, Interior Auto Dimming Mirror, Through Load with Ski Bag, Heated Seats Rear, Park Distance Control, (Includes visual display), Harman/Kardon Logic 7 Sound System

Now that I think about it, it costs 3500 for the above package, but what I really want are the PDC and Logic 7 options, which cost 1200 each respectively, amounting to 2400. Do you think it makes sense for me to use the 1100 savings and get the HUD option? Well, I don't think I need rear heated seats and I don't need the through load with ski bag options. The only option in question is the auto dimming mirror, which I don't think it's necessary.

Any advice?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Originally Posted by arthurk' post='229600' date='Jan 25 2006, 06:15 PM
A couple of weeks ago I pulled the trigger on a 530xi with premium and nav packages available in Canada. The premium package include the following:
Exterior Auto Dimming Mirror, Interior Auto Dimming Mirror, Through Load with Ski Bag, Heated Seats Rear, Park Distance Control, (Includes visual display), Harman/Kardon Logic 7 Sound System

Now that I think about it, it costs 3500 for the above package, but what I really want are the PDC and Logic 7 options, which cost 1200 each respectively, amounting to 2400. Do you think it makes sense for me to use the 1100 savings and get the HUD option? Well, I don't think I need rear heated seats and I don't need the through load with ski bag options. The only option in question is the auto dimming mirror, which I don't think it's necessary.

Any advice?

Thanks.
I don't pick my car up until Monday, so can't comment from experience plus the options scenario in the UK is different to Canada, but i was told that although Logic7 is very good, it's not good value compared to the Hi-Fi Loudspeaker option, unless you're a total audiophile. I checked the BMW UK approved used car list before ordering mine & not 1 of the used E60 5 Series had Logic7 as an option.

As for heated rear seats, i have them in my RS6 (which is being sold & being replaced by the 535D M-Sport) & they were not used once so not a very good option, although if you frequently have rear passangers & you live in a very cold part of Canada, then perhaps a good option for you. The through load & ski-bag was again fitted to my RS6, but as i don't ski, a useless option. My new car does have HUD & i personally think it's the coolest option available, but i'm fickle & i like coold toys.

Sorry i can't be more help, but until i collect my new car on Monday, i can only talk from experience & choice.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

I think the auto dimming rear view mirror is a must, if Canada is like I remember years ago most roads outside the cities are not lit at night and headlights in the mirror are especially annoying. Ive gone one further and got the auto dimming / folding wing mirrors for the same reeason. Ski bag is a waste of time, better to have folding rear seats or not at all. HUD is useful but hardly essential & go for the Hi-Fi speakers
Old 01-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

Have you thought about spending the savings on Comfort Access?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

Yeah!!! Comfort access is a must. Whatever you do, DO NOT delete Logic 7.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hud doesn't excite me. How about comfort seats or, as others have mentioned, comfort access? I'd go with comfort seats, and be a little annoyed with having to use the start/stop button without comfort access. And, why not get both?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

HUD is awesome

Mine was added by mistake and I am glad that I have it - it's awesome, especially when using the NAV!

JUST GET IT!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

I think you should get what you can afford and what you feel you want. Don't forget, different strokes for different folks. Best of luck in any event
Old 01-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

If I was in that situation I would get L7 and PDC separatly and add HUD. Auto dimming mirrors are nice but its not a must if you tint your windows.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by arthurk' post='229600' date='Jan 25 2006, 07:15 PM

Any advice?

Thanks.

I don't have my car yet, so I'm no expert. Luckily for me, this forum saved me from missing out on L7.

IMHO, I'd kill the heated rear seats and pass on the HUD. I almost got HUD but wasn't super impressed during the last test drive. That said, its probably a very nice option to have, particularly if your always using NAV and if you want to keep your eyes on the road. However, it might keep your eyes too focused, meaning you seldom enjoy your nice gauges, I-drive screen, and sights around the cabin.

I think that the auto dimming mirror is a must and a important safety feature. Really. There is no way a 5er or any car should not have this, and it really should be standard. Even found in Buicks.

Just my two cents,

CVT Benhogan

Quick Reply: Need some advice on the option