Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

NAV CCC Pre-Wiring What? 6UA even need it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Cd's that the Dealers use to look at pictures. I can't remember the name of them at the moment E**. Anyways. It appears from the pictures and what not the only thing we are missing is this wire that goes from the fin all the way to the CCC module. If we have that then I believe we can get Nav installed. Going to do more research though. I really want Nav.

just wondering if the dealer would actually do the install if I bring everything to him.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530I, Black Sapphire, Gray dakota leather, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Audio upgrade, Comfort seats, Rear heated seats

JJ32, I know where you are coming from. I have the same questions....I actually opened another post trying to get the same info you are here. I have a 2005 Mar build labeled as a 2006. I didnt get nav cause the dealer said I could have it retrofitted. Since then I asked two dealers and BMWNA and all said I was out of luck....but, and what frustrates me as it looks like it does you, no one can seem to say just what is missing or what is needed, even the dealers gave me different answers. The GPS wiring is the most logical explaination Ive heard...someones got to know....
Old 04-04-2006, 06:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530I, Black Sapphire, Gray dakota leather, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Audio upgrade, Comfort seats, Rear heated seats

Also, Ive read some interesting topics going around about BMW assist using the GPS antenna? I dont know if this is true, but that would mean that the GPS antenna is connected and wired, therefore there would be a wire to tap into....maybe?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:16 PM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Originally Posted by Nine' post='264451' date='Apr 4 2006, 07:30 AM
Also, Ive read some interesting topics going around about BMW assist using the GPS antenna? I dont know if this is true, but that would mean that the GPS antenna is connected and wired, therefore there would be a wire to tap into....maybe?
BMW assist must be using a GPS antenna in the shark fin to pinpoint your location. Also, in one of the menus on the I drive, I get a Longitude and Lattitue readout. It changes as the car moves. This is a simple form of GPS already built in. It seems that all they would need to do is take that input into the computer for the mapping unit on the dash.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:30 AM
Members

There is a service panel underneath the cyclops light in the headliner by the back window. I removed this panel (its just snapped on) and was able to see the wires connected to the shark-fin. There are three connections at the rear of the shark-fin. Each connection had a wire connected to it. The wire connectors are color coded...they where, from right to left white, grey, purple. According to the retrofit instalation guide for the NAV system the center connector is for the GPS aerial. This means, the grey connector/wire is connected to the GPS aerial, I wonder where the other end is connected???
Old 04-05-2006, 05:32 AM
Members

Is all this arguing a moot point?....I mean, if we cant get a dealer to support the change, then whether it can be done or not is moot. I would think if I did the install myself, it would not only void my waranty but I dont know that Id be able to initialize the system.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Members

let me know what you guys find... i want nav too but can't get it. i am willing to pay $$$ for a factory nav but mine is a 9/03 build e60. my lease was up on my lexus had to get a car so that's why i couldn't wait for a later build.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Members

The more I look at this and Im certainly no expert....it looks as thought there is a GPS aerial connection in the TCU (blue connector)...however, when I look at the shark-fin I dont see a corresponding blue connection on what I think is the GPS aerial connection, on it I see a purple connector. I think the GPS is connected to the TCU for BMW assist (emergency locator), but again Im not sure.....So I think, if you want navigation you need to get the GPS aerial wire to the front of the car so it can plug into the CCC/M-ASK....I believe that is the wire that causes the biggest headache. The 6UA option, seems to have an open wire running from the TCU (trunk) to the front of the car just for this purpose....the other connectors, for the fan etc...can be manufactured.
Now, if Im right, which is possible, you could create these connectors/wires and then tell the dealer you car is so equipped, then they would probably tackle the install.....so I would think, if you purchased the retrofit kit 65 90 0 397 300 or 65 90 0 390 844, took the wires out and prewired the voice control, CCC fan, and the nav system cable....then asked your dealer to install what you have, they would see the necessary connections and install it.....but, Im only guessing.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Members

Nine: wow great work... if that is true i wonder is someone will tackle it and try it. i am willing to pay more than the $1800 for factory nav... wish i could do it.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

I looked into this over a year ago and spent hours with TIS and ETK until my eyes were blurry. This is not a simple case of running a cable from the shark fin to the dash. As with most modern cars, and especially the E60, the electronics are integrated to a large degree. Few changes only effect one component.

In the US all E60s came equipped with prep for the CPT9000 mobile phone and with BMW Assist. Therefore the standard roof shark fin housing for the US market has two phone aerials and the GPS aerial. For cars with Satelite Radio or Sat Radio Prep, the fin also includes two Sat Radio aerials. The GPS aerial is connected to the TCU (Telecommunication Control Unit) located in the trunk. This provides vehicle position in the case of an emergency call. These are the GPS co-ordinates that can be seen on the central display.

In the US, cars without Nav are equipped with the M-ASK (Multi-Audio System Controller) and Nav cars have the CCC (Car Communication Computer). Without going into too much detail, there are significant differences between the M-ASK and CCC. For instance, the CD player in the M-ASK is a simple device while in the CCC it is a CD-ROM that can recognize and de-code computer files. This is why some older Nav cars can get MP3 with a software upgrade and non-Nav cars cannot. Its a hardware issue.

Anyway, the M-ASK and CCC connect to the car sysem with connectors, some of which are the same. However, the CCC uses two 12-pin connectors while the M-ASK uses one. They both have a 10-pin connector but they have different termination ID. What I was not been able to determine is if the M-ASK cars have the second 12-pin connector on the wiring harness and just not used or if its not there at all? Also, are the terminations for the connectors fixed or changeable with different components? The questions and possibilities are endless and require someone with more knowledge and aptitude than me to sort out.

I finally decided to order Nav with my next car and accept that I won't have it on this one. I use a Navman iCN 510 suction-cupped to the windshield. Not the most elegant solution but it works and I comfort myself with the belief that if BMW had a way to retro-fit Nav to my car, they would offer it. After all, there is no profit for them in punishing me for failing to order it when I purchased the car. And they have never been bashful about charging exorbitant fees for the most mundane service proceedures. Imagine what they could charge for this! If there was a way to make a buck they would jump at it. Since they haven't, I must assume that it really is too complicated or just plain impossible. I'll know better the next time.

Quick Reply: NAV CCC Pre-Wiring What? 6UA even need it?