Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

My new E60 is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, my car is finally here after almost seven weeks waiting. Will take some pics later this week. Well, probably nothing special for most of you but at least it's a new toy for me. I want to add a powered sub in the trunk. Is Infinity basslink a good choice? I've heard this model is easy to install, good bass, and good price. I don't want/need people on the street to "feel" my bass and I'm not going to spend a whole lot for this. What do you guys think? Any other options out there?

I also want to add a aftermarket cd changer. Any suggestions? I've heard that no matter a factory cd changer or aftermarket, I still need to take my car back to the dealer and have them activate it. Otherwise it won't work. True?

I'll change the grille to chrome, rear reflectors, possibly wood shift knob, wood rear panel (the one below the ac vents), and fog lights.

Thank you in advance for all the valuable ideas/suggestions.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:00 PM
sj3
Senior Members

aloha: Are you in HI? Must be nice! Anyway, a sub should work fine. A trunk mount is known to not work that well due to it being pretty well sealed off from the car. I've forgotten whether a trunk-mount sub works better if you have split-folding rear seats or if you don't, but whether you have that does make a difference. Good luck. I didn't see your option list. Most people post their options/colors in their sig.

Sam
Old 06-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Senior Members

congratulations lucas! cannot wait to see the pics and i am hearing your excitment. rollee
Old 06-10-2004, 02:00 AM
Senior Members

sj3, yes, i'm in hawaii. nice? well, depends. i'm getting bored whenever i have a long weekend. anyway, i just tried out the sound system a bit by listening to a cd. i turned both treble and bass to the highest and actually it sounded alright. i think it sounds better than the e39. well, maybe it's just me . so most likely i'll leave it for now. if i can't stand for it one day, then i'll add a powered sub. but thanks for your input anyway.

rollee, thanks! you know what, i only have 18 miles on and 1182 miles to go . i hope you've already done w/yours.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>2004 530 w/Premium Pkg, Xenon, Park Distance Control, Satellite Radio.</span>
Old 06-10-2004, 02:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Jun 10 2004, 04:00 AM
i just tried out the sound system a bit? by listening to a cd.? i turned both treble and bass to the highest and actually it sounded alright.?
yikes!
Old 06-10-2004, 02:45 AM
Senior Members

wslam, you don't think so? well, you have the logic 7 that's why. but i think it's already a lot better than many cars out there. of course we can make it better but i can live with it...at least for now.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:42 AM
sj3
Senior Members

aloha: Not sure what island you're on or if it's possible/easy to move your car and yourself between islands, but the Road to Hana (Maui) for all your break-in miles would be a real hoot. That's an amazing road. One of the world's ten best drives accoding to some magazine or the other.

I'm sure that you will be able to get some fantastic sound out of your new baby for much less that the $1800 or so that some of us paid for Logic-7. Eventually, I think, you will probably find that the stock system could use an upgrade. Good luck. It will be much fun picking out what you want, especially with an installer you trust.

Sam
Old 06-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Aloha,
Congrats and welcome to the E60 club. I passed by the BMW dealer near the mall in Honolulul last February. Enjoy your new car but ride safely.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Members

alohalc, to be honest, i wouldn't know as my E60 is not here yet.
but if the E39 stereo is anything to judge, no amount of treble/bass adjustment is gonna make the sound come alive.
i happen to be somewhat of an audiophile as well, and simply cannot stand the 'imbalance' spikes introduced by most equaliziers or tone controls.
anyone here also a hifi nut?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:01 PM
sj3
Senior Members

wslam: Yes, I think I qualify. I wanted concert listening levels in my home without distortion. $10k on speakers (B&W Nautilus 801's), $7k on main front amp (Mark Levinson), $4k on preamp/processor (Krell HTS), $3k on 2 8-foot speaker cables (forgot the name), $2k for an a/c line conditioner, and usually around $200 for most 1meter patch cables, both digital coax and analog, I don't let any signal cables touch any electrical cords. The thing is absolutely jaw-dropping but I didn't do much with acoustics other than making sure I had a nice thick carpet and a nice thick pad and heavy curtains. I think I might qualify! I love classical, swing jazz, and good rock (ELP, etc.). You can't quite recreate this in the E60, but I sure don't want a tinny, underpowered sound which is why I went with Premium Sound. I think our esteemed poster needs to sit in a regular sounded car followed by one with premium sound and I think he'll figure it out pretty quick!

Sam

Quick Reply: My new E60 is finally here!