Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

My baby got damaged by dealer.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Few things:
1) Don't dare trust the opinion of your insurance company for the repair, especailly if it's the company paying the claim. They know nothing but cheap. Call your other car geek friends in your town and find out who they use. Good news is that the BMW store probably uses a quality body shop anyway.
2) Make sure you keep your pictures. This will be crucial when it comes time to sell. As an insurance claim probably won't be filed, there probably will be no history on Carfax or Autocheck, but you never know. This way you have proof that it wasn't hit by a bus.
3) Just because the repair is free doesn't make it OK. You took in an unpainted car, and are getting back a painted one. Not good, but these things happen. Explain to your dealership that they will need to notify their insurance carrier to forward you a check for diminshed value. They won't want to do this, and you may get nowhere with the claim. But you should try, and you should --courteously but firmly--explain that you should get you car back in AT LEAST as good a condition as it went in. Perhaps they might offer some assistance, good will, or a little credit in their store. This may be the best that you can do. Do you plan on going back there? Keep that in mind as you discuss.
Remember problems do happen. It's how they handle them that matters. Be courteous but firm and make sure you give the car a thorough once over when you get it back (checking for debris in the paint, sanding marks, body shop residue, etc.).
Hope this helps. Sometimes it's good to be a lawyer. Sometimes it ain't....
Old 06-02-2006, 04:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 1973 porsche 911, 32,000 miles,with all S options and leather sport seats. 2004 porsche GT3,white track car, 2003 porsche boxter "my wife's" 2004 3/4 ton suburban tow vehicle, 24' pace trailer, 2006 BMW530XI, black, auburn, also "my wife's" about to buy a BMW 550I,silver gray,

Nobody cares. My 550I had 100 miles on it when I had to take it in for an emission fault. They ran it through their car wash " it was clean the day befor when I took it in" and opps a big scratch on the door. I was lucky it was wet sanded and buffed and it is fine, but still upsetting! I usually have the race shop service my cars for simple things like tires, oil changes, those tittle things that dealers can ---- UP!
Old 06-02-2006, 05:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by allenman' post='291470' date='Jun 2 2006, 04:31 AM
Few things:
1) Don't dare trust the opinion of your insurance company for the repair, especailly if it's the company paying the claim. They know nothing but cheap. Call your other car geek friends in your town and find out who they use. Good news is that the BMW store probably uses a quality body shop anyway.
umm, when your insurance isn't paying for it they definitely know who does the best work. I just got clipped off the back corner of my car and I am brand new to town. I called my insurance company and asked who the best place in town was and they sent me to a shop that is literally unbelievable. I was pissed that my car had to go through this for no reason but after seeing this shops work first hand and requesting a tour of the facility...the insurance company pulled in clutch.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:09 AM
Members

My Ride: MY06 Silver-Grey 530i, Grey Leather, Sports Package, Steptronic, Premium Package, Satellite Radio, Bluetooth (Motorola V551), Llumar Platinum Tint.

I share other's opinions regarding repair and repaint. This isn't a problem as long as the body shop is a high quality shop and they use the exact same pain the BMW uses. Usually the dealer will either run his own body shop or they contract out to a "BMW Qualified" shop in the area. Think about it, the dealer has to routinely repair damage from shipping and other causes so it is in their best interest to send the work to a shop that will do a quality job. Otherwise this can have a serious negative impact on future sales if the body shop screws up.

Next week my car goes in for warranty paint repairs and I am confident that the shop will do a good job. I suggest you talk to the shop directly. Sometimes the dealer will want to take the least costly route and that could leave you with a insufficient repair. Ask the shop to give you the complete details on the process and be certain to discuss what your expectations are with the finished work. In other words establish a relationship with the shop so they don't just treat your baby like it's just another job.

I can not over emphasize the need to use the exact same paint as BMW factory uses. Anything else may result in a color mismatch.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kjc625' post='291330' date='Jun 2 2006, 05:01 AM
Just received a voice mail from body shop. The third dent guy said can't fix it, because it is near the crease of the door area. He recommanded body work. The body shop guy said he will reproduce the original textual and color, but it will take at least 3 days to do the job right.

My first dent and I didn't even cause it. This sucks.

:'(
Truly it sucketh

I trust that they are kissing you ass big time and making sure you have a fantastic loan car during this period PLUS some compensation for their cack-handedness in damaging your car ?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 BMW 530i (6/04 built), M-tech kit installed, Prem pkg, Sports pkg, Logic 7 system, Aux input, 10.2 inch DVD player, auto rear shade with manual side shades, 6 speed auto, Oriental blue with Gray interior, and 35% window tints all over the car. 06 Yamaha FJR1300A 86 Kawasaki KZ100p

What loaner car. ".Sorry sir we got no cars available right now. Would you like to bring your car later?" This sucks. :thumbsdown:
Old 06-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Members

My Ride: MY06 Silver-Grey 530i, Grey Leather, Sports Package, Steptronic, Premium Package, Satellite Radio, Bluetooth (Motorola V551), Llumar Platinum Tint.

At a minimum they should at least rent a car for you. I know it's not likely to be a BMW but that's the bare minimum should consider. One thing is for certain, the service departments hate to get a poor rating so you might try threatening them with a 1 on an eval if they don't step it up.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by kjc625' post='291272' date='Jun 1 2006, 08:37 PM
:'( I dropped off my E60 to my local dealer to perform scheduled maintainance. I got my car back and found a small dent on driver side door. They tried to fix it with dent doc, but the outcome was not good. They weren't able to get rid of the dent crease with dent doc. So they are sending my car to a local BMW specialized body and paint shop to fix the problem.... I don't know how to upload pictures, so no pictures for now. What would u guys do in this situation? Should I ask them to try another dent doc guys or bodyshop to fix the door (this means repaint the door and fender area to blend).

thx
Jim

I vote for a repaint. Any remaining little mark or tiny crease would drive me nuts. :'( There are good paint guys out there. My silver Audi has a repainted door and its hardly noticeable. Great job.

One more thing, your car is a darker metallic so the blending the color is a walk in the park, compared to a lighter metallic. IMHO, its a no-brainer.

CVT Benhogan
Old 06-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

I'm sure the outcome will be fine. They will likely not paint the entire door, but only the damaged area. They will then clear coat the entire door so there is no "flash" if you look at it on an angle. A trained eye is always able to tell if there has been paint work on a car, but your average or above average Joe is not. What's important is that you document that it was a minor cosmetic issue and not an accident. Take before & after pics. If it's any consolation, I bought my 550 "new" with 2 miles on it, but it had two slight 3/4" scratches in the paint (not through it) - one on the left passanger door and one on the left rear fender between the wheel and door. My car was on the floor at the Detroit Auto Show this year and apparently got the scratches there. The local dealer fixed the scratches and it looks great. I documented everything with pics and had them write it up extensively (as well as warranty the work). I was able to swing a better economic deal on the car becuase it was "damaged".