Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

longest servicing ever?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Similar thing happen to my friend's Toyota, the dealer took 2 weeks for simple service.
He later found out his dealer scratched his bumper, and try to get it repainted.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe they sent it germany express mail..just my guess

14 days? are you sure it is not 4/1 April fool?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Members

They better have a good reason. I should get my 545 back tomorrow after one week in the shop for engine replacement, they actually started the replacement this morning. So basicly 2 days if you dont count shipping of the engine and T. Giving holliday. I have always recieved great service from Passport. I'm driving an e90 330 for a loaner. Go to Passport and ask for Keith Renner, tell them that Erik Z. sent you. Good luck.

Erik
Old 11-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Titanium Silver Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, Poplar Grain Wood Trim, Steptronic, Active Steering, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, On-Board Navigation, Heated Front Seats, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Satellite Radio, Euro Rear Reflectors

Here is the letter I just drafted to BMWNW in regards to my servicing. It's kinda lengthy, but that's only because so much stuff went wrong. Just a heads up to anybody thinking of using BMW of Arlington at Pentagon City.

(I left out like the intro paragraphs because it's worthless babble about BMW and my dealer. I'm also sure this is riddled with grammatical mistakes, I haven't really checked it yet. I did the whole XXXX to protect the SA) In any event, read on if you dare. And yes, it's VERY nice to be back in my bimmer.

BMW of NA,

Recently I had to leave Washington, DC for a few days on business and decided that it would be best if I could get my car serviced while I was out of town because I would not need it while I was traveling. I dropped off my BMW at the BMW of Arlington?s new service center in Pentagon City on Tuesday, November 15th. I asked for the simple services of an oil change, additional windshield washer fluid, having my DRLs turned off, and a software update for my iDrive. I was told that I could have the car back when I returned from my trip on Monday, November 21st.

Normally I do not complain about anything because I do not like to start trouble or upset anyone. However, this time I feel that maybe I need to say something because this is a new center and perhaps they just need to know how things are going so they can change them and run more efficiently.

I received a call Thursday November, 17th from XXXX, the service advisor who was helping me through my process, saying that there were major updates that needed to be made to my car and that it would probably not be ready on the morning of the 21st. She told me that I can come into the service center early on the 21st and pick up a loaner car for the day because my car will not be ready until the afternoon. I arrived to the center early on Monday only to find out that they did not have any loaner cars available and that I would be getting a rental from Enterprise. Enterprise gave me a Chevrolet Cobalt for the day. Normally this would be fine for me except I felt that maybe a loaner car should have been reserved for me given my circumstances. I had dropped my car off 7 days prior to this date, and they had known for 5 days that my car would not be ready. I felt that a courtesy could have been extended to at least set aside a loaner for me because the center had known about my car for a full week and still I had to drive a Chevy Cobalt to work that day.

On my way to work the morning of the 21st, I received a call from XXXX saying that they had just taken off the protective cover from the underside of my car and they had found a broken bolt (or some other BMW specific part that they did not have on hand). She said that she had immediately called parts and had them overnight it to her. I was pleased with her reaction, but what bothered me was the timing. Did the service department really have my car for 7 days until they took off the protective cover? That means that my car sat at the dealership and was not even looked at thoroughly until I had already asked for my car back. I was rather upset that this problem was not discovered earlier, because it meant ANOTHER day of not having my car.

I returned to the dealership that night (Monday the 21st) at 6:30 p.m. to pick up a loaner car so I can get to work safely on Tuesday. Instead, I am told that there are no loaner cars available but that customers have until 7:30 p.m. to return loaner cars so there is a chance that I could get one. I told XXXX that I would wait around for an hour and see if anyone returned a loaner car. XXXX explained to me that she had to catch the shuttle home, but that she would give my cell phone number to the receptionist and that she would call me if a loaner car arrived. I stepped out of the dealership to go to the mall across the street to pass some time, and called the dealership at 7:25 p.m. to check in. The receptionist told me that someone had in fact returned a loaner X3. I asked her if I could come by and change my rental car to the X3 and she said no. She proceeded to tell me that the service technician had already left for the night and he would need to check out the car before I could take it, so there is no way that I could leave with the X3. If the service technician was not staying around, that means that there was no possible way to take home a loaner, which means that there was no reason for me to stay around the dealership for another hour, but yet I was asked to do so anyway.

(FYI, this is where I intended on stopping this letter, but then?.)

I had started to write this letter the morning of the 22nd, with the idea that I would have my car back to me in the afternoon. However, I have just returned (7:30 p.m. on the night of the 22nd) from the dealership and I do not have my car. When I talked to XXXX she said that the part they ordered did not come in and that it will be until at least Friday the 25th until it arrives. I now wonder if XXXX blatantly lied to me yesterday when she said that she had the part sent overnight to the service center, or if something actually happened out of her control that caused the part not to be here today. In any event, I now have to drive approximately 500 miles this weekend in a 2006 X3. I am not upset that it is an X3, but rather I am upset that it is not my 525i, which was promised to me three times now. I sincerely hope that I will not have to add more to this letter, but we will see when I return from my drive home for Thanksgiving. Also, before I left I went to retrieve some more belongings from my car, only to find it sitting in the front lot of the service center, unlocked. That is just carelessness on the part of whoever moved my car from Monday the 21st because it was in a different spot then.

(This is now the second time that I planned on stopping this letter.)

I drove back to the dealership on Friday the 25th because I called earlier in the day and I was told my car would be ready. When I arrived at the dealership I was told that my car was not ready. This is now the fourth time that I was told that I could have my car and then found out later that I could not. When I got to the dealership at 6:30 p.m. XXXX told me that there was still about 150 minutes left of programming and that I would not be able to get the car because the shop will be closed by the time the programming is done. I am not sure how long this programming takes, but there is absolutely no reason that my car should not have been updated within the 11 days. XXXX asked that I leave my car there till Monday because she does not come in Saturday, and she wants to make sure that nothing else goes wrong with my car. This means that my car will be in the shop for 14 days. This is absolutely unacceptable.

I am really disappointed with the service that I have received from BMW of Arlington, and I can tell you that I will not be recommending this center to any other BMW owners. Thank you for your time and I would appreciate a response.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I'm sorry for all this. This is sooooo typical for many BMW centers these days. The cars are just too complex for them. At least it seems your SA calls you, I have to call mine every time....
Old 11-29-2005, 04:04 AM
SDS
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 xi, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Leather,poplar grain wood trimi, prem. pkg., prem. sound pkg., cold weather pkg., steptronic auto. trans., front comfort seats, split folding rear seats w/ski bag,rear heated seating, power rear sunshade and manual rear side window shades, park distance control, BMW on-board navigation system and satellite radio.

Originally Posted by cory.wingerter' post='204293' date='Nov 28 2005, 01:11 PM
I have just received a phone call from my dealer telling me that my bimmer is officially ready. I dropped my car off 14 days ago :thumbsdown: for a s/w update, oil change, oil filter change, and for some new windshield wiper fluid. I have been without my e60 for two weeks now, and i know that i'm gonna go for quite the drive when I get off of work.

Anyone else's serivicing ever take this long? Am i to expect this everytime or is this some nightmare story that never happens? After I told some others my story they have told me that they don't take their car to BMW of Arlington (Virginia, USA). I'm also in the middle of a letter to BMW of NA telling them the full story. It's bordering on 3 pages now because I have to keep going back an updating it when the dealer messes something else up.

counting down the minutes till i can go pick her up.

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE ! WOULD BE CURIOUS TO HEAR HOW BMW OF NA RESPONDS TO YOUR 3-PAGE LETTER.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Oh, an they claim on the web:

Our Service Team is fast, efficient, and friendly. They understand that you're in a hurry, and that auto maintenance only throws a wrench into your busy life. They work fast and hard to get the job done, and offer the care to ensure your car gets the best service possible.

Maybe you can use this as a quote in your letter........
Old 11-29-2005, 04:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

I feel for you as far as the long service time but as far as the loaner car IMO be happy you got one no matter what make it was its still a set of wheels to get around in.No where does it say that the BMW dealer has to give you a loaner, its a courtesy on there part. Put your dealer experiences good or bad on www.dealerrater.com so everyone can benefit from them. Good luck
cheers
vern