Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Long Term Maintenance / Repair Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i Premium Space Grey

I know I have plenty of time to worry about this...My lease (2008 528i, AT, ) comes up in 12 months, and I'm pondering whether or not to buy the car off lease (and off warranty). I love every second being behind the wheel, and sooner or later I wouldn't mind owning a car outright, after years of leasing various makes and models. This is seriously a car I would be happy driving for 10 years.

I'm looking for some idea of what to expect long term for maintenance and repair issues. What has your experience been after your 5er is off warranty? What are some of the major issues I might encounter, and what is the $$ cost to repair it? I'm not talking about normal maintenance, brakes, scheduled items etc. Like what if the iDrive goes haywire? What if the AC compressor blows up? What if a window regulator craps out?
What if the cruise control malfunctions?

Any feedback appreciated!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Originally Posted by goodchip' post='966975' date='Aug 5 2009, 10:27 PM
I know I have plenty of time to worry about this...My lease (2008 528i, AT, ) comes up in 12 months, and I'm pondering whether or not to buy the car off lease (and off warranty). I love every second being behind the wheel, and sooner or later I wouldn't mind owning a car outright, after years of leasing various makes and models. This is seriously a car I would be happy driving for 10 years.

I'm looking for some idea of what to expect long term for maintenance and repair issues. What has your experience been after your 5er is off warranty? What are some of the major issues I might encounter, and what is the $$ cost to repair it? I'm not talking about normal maintenance, brakes, scheduled items etc. Like what if the iDrive goes haywire? What if the AC compressor blows up? What if a window regulator craps out?
What if the cruise control malfunctions?

Any feedback appreciated!

Well if you're thinking about purchasing your vehicle, realize that a 100k warranty and 100k maint. package is highly recommended. To me, it was worth the cost. Its a Bimmer, and things will come up sooner or later. I'm well over the 100k marker now, and around 90k'ish i had a battery issue - no biggie 300 bucks. alternator issue was about 1200 bc a bad battery somehow fried my alternator, and then the second alternator roasted again because the new battery went bad from the first bad alternator, so I needed both new again. Dealer handled it cuz it was their mistake, but other than that, I've been out an Emission sensor once for about 500 bucks at about 80k, and a control arm which was due to a bad pothole. I got a few more squeaks and sounds its gettin looked at for tomorrow due to an accident. I'll keep ya posted LOL.

overall though, i dont face any crazy issues. warranty and maint package a must. Understand that these cars are like dating a supermodel. Its a love / hate relationship (for me at least). when all is good, its amazing. When things go wrong, its brutal but in the end you love that fine ass piece of machinery.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Contributors

LOL Amen brother. I love getting looks, too. People make love to my car with their eyes.