Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Lifetime or Not??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so i just hit the 100k miles mark on my 04 525i and I've been trying to find a 100k service list to complete(not at the dealership), but no luck.

The first thing that pops in my head when I hear 100k service is Fuel Filter, Transmission Service, differential oil... that kind of stuff, but the dealership says NO, don't need to change any of that stuff, they are all unservicable and will last for the lifetime of the car. That sounded good for a second but when I search online, people say things like this whole "Lifetime" thing is NOT true and many BMW dealerships still recommend those services to be done.

I don't know what to do now, but the only thing I know is that I don't need transmission problems.

What do you guys think?? Replace transmission & differential oil and fuel filter or stick with what the dealership is recommending???

THanks.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I think your panther has an eye problem!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Contributors

I would absolutely do the following:
Spark plugs
Fuel filter
Transmission filter and flush
Rear differential fluid flush
There is no such thing as lifetime. Even BMW has changed its stance on lifetime to 100k fluid after a bunch of failures.
This is a no brainer.
Regards.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Something to think about.

- BMW Ag makes money by selling new cars.

- Dealers make 30% of their profit selling cars and 60% serving and repairing the cars.
10% is accessory sales etc.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I dunno, I think you really need to do a lot of research on this. I have read that changing the fluid at 100K for the first time might actually open a can of worms. I advocate changing the fluids every 2 year/50K miles if done from the beginning, but this late in the cycle, I wouldn't do it unless the dealer can guarantee nothing will go wrong (on paper).
Old 01-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by ziad' post='769488' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:40 PM
OK, so i just hit the 100k miles mark on my 04 525i and I've been trying to find a 100k service list to complete(not at the dealership), but no luck.

The first thing that pops in my head when I hear 100k service is Fuel Filter, Transmission Service, differential oil... that kind of stuff, but the dealership says NO, don't need to change any of that stuff, they are all unservicable and will last for the lifetime of the car. That sounded good for a second but when I search online, people say things like this whole "Lifetime" thing is NOT true and many BMW dealerships still recommend those services to be done.

I don't know what to do now, but the only thing I know is that I don't need transmission problems.

What do you guys think?? Replace transmission & differential oil and fuel filter or stick with what the dealership is recommending???

THanks.
I don't know what the 2004 manuals say, but on page 7 of my 2007 "5 Series (Except M5)" Service and Warranty Information Manual under Automatic Transmission it says: "Replace ATF at intervals of 100,000 miles." It says the same thing for spark plugs, and is silent on differential(s), transfer cases, etc. Perhaps the transmissions were hardier in 2004?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I would change all of the fluids that you are questioning. Fuilds break down, their additives break down and it gets contaminated over time. Just do it.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by ziad' post='769488' date='Jan 17 2009, 01:40 AM

THanks.
wow you hit 100k miles and never change the Transmission oil.
I changed my at 45k km.
when I change my oil and the filter of the Transmission in was starting to become durty.

Change all the oil and filters in the car.
Nothing last a life time, I never trust them.
If you what to keep the car for a long time I would change them, these don't cost alot compare to the handware
Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Members

Thanks guys, good info, I gonna go for it but what do you guys recommend for ATF?? also, where do I get the transmission filter from if the dealership does not sell it??

Thanks again..
Old 01-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Contributors

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=24&fg=15

This is based on assumption. Change to your yr and model accordingly. As you can see, depending on the yr, they do sell the filter.

Another place that lists it:
http://www.germanautoparts.com/BMW/2006/E6.../T2/2043/764595

Regards.
Raj

Quick Reply: Lifetime or Not??