Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Lease vs Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='521466' date='Jan 22 2008, 05:02 PM
I leased my car and I'm pissed off I did. In Illinois, we pay the entire sales tax during the lease term. Then, if you opt for the buyout, your paying taxes again. Never again.
So, it's only a really bad deal if you buy back the car, right? And given the high residuals, would you ever really do that?

I'm thinking about leasing my next car ... just to avoid the rapid depreciation that models such as the 550 and M5 experience. And because I'm thinking my next car will only tide me over until the F10 M5.

Regarding leasing versus buying, I figure that if you in fact have the cash on hand up-front, you would be better off investing it and paying a lease (well, most times anyway ... not so far in 2008 ).
Old 01-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='521535' date='Jan 22 2008, 08:09 PM
So, it's only a really bad deal if you buy back the car, right? And given the high residuals, would you ever really do that?

I'm thinking about leasing my next car ... just to avoid the rapid depreciation that models such as the 550 and M5 experience. And because I'm thinking my next car will only tide me over until the F10 M5.

Regarding leasing versus buying, I figure that if you in fact have the cash on hand up-front, you would be better off investing it and paying a lease (well, most times anyway ... not so far in 2008 ).
Certainly not the last few days............ but if you would like a nice safe real estate investment have I got something for you .......................
Old 01-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Members

To sum up what most people here are saying, if you plan to keep the car 2-3 years, then leasing is the only way to go. The residuals are heavily subsidized, and the lease money factors (=interest rate) are competitive at worst, and are often subsidized as well.

If you buy the car and then trade it during that time period, you'll get killed.

Nothing wrong with buying, but given the (at least currently) subsidized lease programs, you'll need to keep the car a while to get ahead.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TXPearl' post='521602' date='Jan 22 2008, 08:16 PM
To sum up what most people here are saying, if you plan to keep the car 2-3 years, then leasing is the only way to go. The residuals are heavily subsidized, and the lease money factors (=interest rate) are competitive at worst, and are often subsidized as well.

If you buy the car and then trade it during that time period, you'll get killed.

Nothing wrong with buying, but given the (at least currently) subsidized lease programs, you'll need to keep the car a while to get ahead.
+1 exactly. Plus if you know the full cost....you don't have to convince yourself that your car will be worth more than it is in 3 years.

It's also interesting to find out how much a prepaid lease costs versus the regular lease. If they aren't offering a great lease rate (as is often the case on M models) you can save quite a bit by doing a 36 month prepaid lease. A single lump sum payment and turn it back in after 36 months.