Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Lease Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious on mods for leased vehicles. Does the dealer tell you what you can or cannot do to a leased vehicle? If you put on certain mods are you required to take them off when you turn in the car, (exhaust, wheels, sound equipment, etc)? How about tinted windows, or lowering the car? If you put in NAV, Sat. radio, phone system is that taken into account when you turn in your vehicle or do you just absorb the cost? Just wondering what the dealer says if you turn in a different car than originally leased. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I know that window tint is not a problem.

But other modifications, I don't know. I have a feeling a dealer will give you grief for making mods to the car.... regardless of the legality.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

I don't think dealer even cares, your car belongs to your leasing company and after you return it to the dealer they get a chance to buy it from leasing company or take it to the auction on their behalf
Old 12-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I've never leased before but I would suspect that if you want turn the car back into the dealer/leasing company at the end of the lease, it had better be in substantially the same condition you got it in. That would mean original rims would likely be required rather than some 19" third party wheels that may have been added. If you add BMW rims of a different style, I suspect that would not be a problem. Modifications that "add value" likely won't be a problem. By "add value" I mean things that will not affect either BMW's ability to offer a warranty on the car under the CPO program or are easily sold to a new buyer such as tinting. At least reasonable tinting. The 20% tint that you may like might either be illegal or I would suspect lacks a mass market appeal that a dealer could easily sell again. If the dealer wants to be a stickler, they might nail you for that. Aftermarket stereo upgrades are another gray area. If you didn't get the Logic 7 system, but did add an amp for power and some nice speaker, this might be OK. The large bass speaker in the trunk will likely not be OK. Anything beyond the rather minor cosmetic things, I'm not sure why you would put that kind of money for lowering, new exhaust or chipping into a car that you will likely be getting rid of in 2-3 years.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

I would like to lower my car, add nav, and get rims but the car is going back. Lowering the car is cheap and not a big deal. The nav is though. If you lease a car with nav the dont divide the 1800 over all 3 years evenly. It holds some residual. Will they give me what the nav is worth? and rim, i can move them. I would also like to put the m-kit on but, its not woth it.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Dec 15 2004, 01:08 PM
I would like to lower my car, add nav, and get rims but the car is going back. Lowering the car is cheap and not a big deal. The nav is though. If you lease a car with nav the dont divide the 1800 over all 3 years evenly. It holds some residual. Will they give me what the nav is worth? and rim, i can move them. I would also like to put the m-kit on but, its not woth it.
[snapback]69375[/snapback]
Good question on the NAV, don't know. The m-kit, being an official BMW product would, I suspect, not be a problem. Expensive, but not a problem. And the same question would apply. Given the cost, what residual, if any would the dealer give you for the mod. Given my experience with my dealer, I would not expect any residual value. The lowering might be a problem. Depends on how much. Me personally, I don't care for lowering, that's just my opinion. If it is an agressive lowering job, the dealer might find that difficult to resell and therefore might ding you for it.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Dec 15 2004, 02:08 PM
[snapback]69375[/snapback]

why would you throw thousands away on a car you are giving back?? lowering the car? and adding new rims too? so you would have to leave the rims on or the car may not ride properly??? dont think they would like that and the nav will be a problem for sure...

why dont you just upgrade an buy a new one for keeps?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Contributors

I agree w/ m630, sounds like a lot of money on a car you're going to give back. On the NAV, I assumed you meant the BMW NAV system. If it is a third party system, m630 is right, that will be a problem.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

Yea, im not going to do it. I would like to tough. The only thing i would like is the NAv. Im just wondering if they give you any residual if not ill skip it.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

The inspection is done by a third party, generally not the dealer. BMW is very precise in what they will accept. BMW accessories can stay (you won't be charged anything to remove, albeit you get nothing for doing it). After market items are generally a "No" and it doesn't matter how well it looks or the quality of the install. I think the only possible exception is if your dealer wants your car & comes to some agreement with BMW Financial. Leasing companies in general want their cars back as close to original as possible. You can get a sample of the lease turn in sheet off their web page.

Quick Reply: Lease Vehicles