Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Info on bmw buyback policy

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

Hey Onefat99,

Which dealership have you been dealing with?
Old 02-01-2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Agent24' date='Feb 1 2005, 10:18 AM
BMW actually replaced my '04 545 last month with a '05 545 without having to use the Lemon Law. My March built '04 was having major stalling issues, to the point where I wouldn't let my wife drive it or my kids ride in it. After three attempts by the dealership to fix it, I contacted BMWNA, who had the regional service rep meet me at the dealership. Finally, after many failed attempts by the service rep to replicate the stalling, the car stalled twice within five miles once the regional rep drove the car. About a week later, I got a call from the service manager at my dealership, telling me to contact my salesman and order a new 545 with the exact options. About three weeks later (and six weeks into driving a 325), I picked up my '05 545 after just resigning my lease documents. No money out of pocket and the terms of my original lease remain the same.

I hope this of some help.
[snapback]85542[/snapback]
BMWNA saved Agent24 the trouble of brining a Lemon Law case because the regional rep experienced the intermittent, but unreproducible (by BMW service), stalling problem. This stalling problem is the kind that could cause death or serious injury if one happened to stall out in high speed traffic and caused a serious accident in which you or any of your passengers suffered death or serious injury due to speed differential (i.e., you would have won your lemon law case anyway).

Onefat99 should discuss his/her problems directly with the BMWNA reps (instead of the dealership) to see what they are willing to do to maintain customer satisfaction and goodwill, realizing that if s/he pushes too hard, BMWNA may do nothing.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Also, if they couldn't reproduce the problem, maybe they wanted that vehicle to try and root cause the problem and make continuous improvements to this vehicle. In this case it may have been a benefit to BMW to buy this car back and truly investigate the failure. Agent24's problem is one that they wouldn't want to be out in mass production.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Members

I sucessfully lemon lawed my Infiniti QX56 due to the passenger airbag problem, see post

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/sh...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

The factory usually will string you along until you give up. I contacted a lemon law attorney in san diego, william McGhee. Over the phone we did everything and I received all my money back and the manufactorer had to pay the attorney's fees.

best of luck

yamamoto
Old 02-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 03 Honda RC51 03 Toyota Tacoma

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 1 2005, 03:01 AM
To my knowledge, no automobile manufacturer (MB, BMW, Ford, etc.) has a "buyback policy" -- indeed, most product manufacturers do not have any kind of buyback policy, although some may offer money back guarantees (usually, for products that cost less than US$100).? Unless the sales contract for your car includes a provision that entitles you to demand that the BMW dealer "buy back" your car under certain conditions, you are SOL (I have never seen this kind of provision in the sales contract for an automobile, nor do I expect any auto dealer, whether MB, BMW, Ford, Chrysler or others, to agree to such a provision).

While the "lemon law" approach has been suggested, the "defects" you list above are not of the kind that might cause death or serious injury, so you may have difficulty proving your lemon law case in many states (depending on where you purchased the car).? You may have better luck persuading the BMWNA reps to help you out with some kind of exchange/trade in package so that you do not have to suffer a great depreciation loss on your existing car.
[snapback]85462[/snapback]
Not true. I've seen NUMEROUS buybacks around here. Mainly 7's
Old 02-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 03 Honda RC51 03 Toyota Tacoma

And if you want to know when the reps will be at your dealer, my advice would be to call a DIFFERENT dealer close by to yours. Give or take a day and thats when the reps will be at your dealer.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Members

you have to deal with bmwna directly! i have been complaining about 4th gear making a humming noise and vibration since march 04. got the car in feb 04. they tell me i am crazy thar all 545's do this. so i kept insisting on a rep finally on oct 04 a rep see's it and says that bmw is going to replace my transmission. i said no way i want a replacement 545i. I called my lemon law attorney and i am in a case with bmw right now. the problem should have been corrected march 04 so i have been paying for a car for one year that needed a new tranmission all along!!! it is all bull****!!!!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW quality sucks
Old 02-03-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by bmwpartsguy' date='Feb 1 2005, 02:42 PM
[quote name='Guest' date='Feb 1 2005, 03:01 AM']To my knowledge, no automobile manufacturer (MB, BMW, Ford, etc.) has a "buyback policy" -- indeed, most product manufacturers do not have any kind of buyback policy, although some may offer money back guarantees (usually, for products that cost less than US$100).? Unless the sales contract for your car includes a provision that entitles you to demand that the BMW dealer "buy back" your car under certain conditions, you are SOL (I have never seen this kind of provision in the sales contract for an automobile, nor do I expect any auto dealer, whether MB, BMW, Ford, Chrysler or others, to agree to such a provision).

While the "lemon law" approach has been suggested, the "defects" you list above are not of the kind that might cause death or serious injury, so you may have difficulty proving your lemon law case in many states (depending on where you purchased the car).? You may have better luck persuading the BMWNA reps to help you out with some kind of exchange/trade in package so that you do not have to suffer a great depreciation loss on your existing car.
[snapback]85462[/snapback]
Not true. I've seen NUMEROUS buybacks around here. Mainly 7's
[snapback]85673[/snapback]
[/quote]

Check your sales contract carefully -- any "buyback" obligation of the dealer or manufacturer would have to be stated in the sales contract. Otherwise, you are depending on the "goodwill" of the manufacturer to voluntarily offer to "buyback" your car to avoid litigation. As you know, a "buyback" under the Lemon Law is not voluntary and need not be stated on your sales contract since it is an additional remedy that consumers have in various states, regardless of what the sales contract states -- however, you have to prove your case in court to force the manufacturer to "buyback" the car under the Lemon Law.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

I am walking proof that BMW will buy back a defective or problematic vehicle. You need to be persistent and remain calm. Do not email. Get an appointment with the general manager of the dealership along with the service manager. If you don't get any satisfaction, ask them to set up an appointment with the aftersales marketing manager (AMM-the area rep). Additonally you should have the field service engineer (FSE) review your service history at his monthly visit and look at your car. Go with him for the test drive!

BMW gave me a very good trade price for my 04 530 with over 16,000 miles and sold me a new 05 545 at invoice. I felt it was a reasonable solution to the issue. You will probably not get BMW to make you whole and refund your money, lemon law or not.

As I said, be persistent, but be businesslike and let them know you mean business!
You can also get the names of the local area rep from BMWNA.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Info on bmw buyback policy