Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Independant Warranty in UK

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Last time I used this board, you guys were awesome, so let's hope you'll help me out again :-)

The Used-Approved warranty which came from the main dealer on my (totally standard) 2005 530d Sport is just about to expire, and BMW want well over ?1000 to renew. My car's done just over 71,000 and has been dealer serviced since new.

I definitely want to take out a warranty with someone, for peace of mind (I've had a steering rack replaced in the last 12 months, which would have run to ?000's if not under warranty!!!).

I've received a quote from Warranty Direct in the UK, which is half that of the BMW price with a lower excess and better cover, on paper at least.

Does anyone have any genuine experience, good or bad, of this company, or have any recommendations for others?

Thanks
Andrew
Old 08-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

On another forum I use alot of people are with warranty direct and have had claims delt with very efficiently by them. They are much better than the BMW aftermarket warranty apparently and cover all sorts the BMW one doesnt. Its who I will use when my factory one runs out.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 AM
MAK
Members

Would agree Warranty Direct is a good deal when compared to the cost of BMW extended warranty.

I was with them till end of last year and although I did not have to make a claim the cover provided was every bit as comprehensive as the BMW one and at half the price.
I did not renew the cover this year as I only do a very low annual mileage and was prepared to gamble on not having anything major go wrong.

Mak
Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Members

Just checked warranty direct's cover and they don't cover anything electronic, mostly just electric motors, so no idrive or cd changer or engine sensors etc...
Old 08-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by chris f' post='646721' date='Aug 14 2008, 07:53 PM
Just checked warranty direct's cover and they don't cover anything electronic, mostly just electric motors, so no idrive or cd changer or engine sensors etc...
Yeah but the BMW aftermarket warranty doesnt cover those items and more.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Members

Cheers guys, sound advice as ever
Old 08-15-2008, 05:43 AM
Members

Talking

Originally Posted by UK_e60_530d' post='646834' date='Aug 14 2008, 09:56 PM
Cheers guys, sound advice as ever
Hi All,

I have a Warranty Direct policy and can recommend it as I have made successful claims. However you have to be extremely careful on which poilcy you get. Here is some helpful advice:

1) Always ensure you go for the best policy they offer. I think this is known as 'Luxury care'. The reason for is that this policy is an EXCLUSION policy, which means that they will give you a list of items that are not covered. If the item is not on that list then your covered. All other policies are INCLUSION policies, which mean they will give a list of parts they cover. The problem is that the average person does not realize that this list only covers 40% of your car....and tends to cover the more reliable parts.

2) Always add the optional extra's on top of the policy as not all parts are covered. These include:
- Sat Nav/Entertainment cover - this will cover the idrive/electrical system
- Franchised garage option - this allows you use a BMW dealer and WD will pay the full labour costs.

3) There is a 90 day wear and tear exclusion period. This basically means if you try and make a claim in the 1st 90days, they will most likely refuse to pay blaming the fault on wear and tear. After 90 days, they will pay for all covered parts regardless if the cause was wear and tear (this is where WD are better then all the other cowboy outfits).

4) NOTE: that WD will not pay for Software updates. If the fault is fixed with a SW update then they wont pay. If a part fails and gets replaced and the car then requires a SW upgrade....they WILL pay. I got stung by this when my Idrive kept crashing. BMW fixed this by upgrading the SW but WD did not pay, as no part was replaced. I think the BMW warranty is the same.

I hope this helps you guys in deciding if its worth it or not. BTW I got the above policy for around ?450 with all option added. Much cheaper than the BMW one. Another top tip is to always phone and speak to the a sales rep....they always offer you a better deal than the website.

Good luck....
Old 08-19-2008, 06:11 AM
Members

Just round this thread off for anyone reading this in the future - Warranty Direct have been utterly efficient and professional, and the very best tip from MrBimmer was to phone them not do it online.

Because my car has done over 70k, the highest level of cover I could get a quote online for was their 'Securecare' option, at ?45/month with no W&T cover for the first 90 days.

Over the phone they have upped the level of cover to 'Extracare', waived the 90 day clause because I'm coming straight from a BMW policy and it's costing me ?37/month!!!!

Awesome - thanks again e60 boys