Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Idrive software update? to update or not to update?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

i have recently bought a 2005 545i, i am presently not sure what current version of the Idrive software i have but i am pretty sure it is not the latest, regardless i would like to poll everyone to see if it is worth it to update?

is there more headaches that what it is worth? or should i just leave it,

the only issue that i seem to have other than it just being slow, is that it seems to reset my cd change cartridge every time i get in the car,

I had an issue with active steering! initializing which turned out to be a problem with my battery which i have replaced since and that error has gone away, but even before than and still presently it seems like my CD changer resets every time i get in the car, if I was on cd 4 song 3, i would come back in and it would be on radio, and my cd's in the shuttle would be shuffling,

so i presume it is either a problem with some electrical or the Idrive software,

nothing else seems to be wrong, and the battery has been replace yesterday.

any thoughts?

and my main question is what are the real benefits of upgrading to the latest idrive software, i ask because the dealer says it will take 1.5- 3 hours to perform, and since i am pretty sure it is nothing to manual i would like to make sure i am getting my money worth,

thanks in advance
Old 05-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i

Originally Posted by MTL545i' post='572535' date='May 1 2008, 02:27 PM
Hello,

i have recently bought a 2005 545i, i am presently not sure what current version of the Idrive software i have but i am pretty sure it is not the latest, regardless i would like to poll everyone to see if it is worth it to update?

is there more headaches that what it is worth? or should i just leave it,

the only issue that i seem to have other than it just being slow, is that it seems to reset my cd change cartridge every time i get in the car,

I had an issue with active steering! initializing which turned out to be a problem with my battery which i have replaced since and that error has gone away, but even before than and still presently it seems like my CD changer resets every time i get in the car, if I was on cd 4 song 3, i would come back in and it would be on radio, and my cd's in the shuttle would be shuffling,

so i presume it is either a problem with some electrical or the Idrive software,

nothing else seems to be wrong, and the battery has been replace yesterday.

any thoughts?

and my main question is what are the real benefits of upgrading to the latest idrive software, i ask because the dealer says it will take 1.5- 3 hours to perform, and since i am pretty sure it is nothing to manual i would like to make sure i am getting my money worth,

thanks in advance
Are you still under warranty because there is a recall for 545s to update the software here in the states. I dont have a cd changer so i dont know if it will get fixed but the latest version is 29.x, for me the shifting on the smg became much smoother after the upgrade. The only other visible change was to the idrive menu.