Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Help what do you think???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

Hi I am a very new to this site and new to bmw, but looking at all the other sites yours seems to be the best and I hope I can get some responses to give me some help....

OK here it is.... I have been looking at a used 05 bmw 525i AMETHYST GRAY (which I think is very sharp), inside tan leather, w/ Cold Weather pkg, Prem. pkg, 17in rims, both reg. and BMW winter matts (just the front) and got them to add the factory cd-changer. Also even though it says it is only hooked up for sirus it was working on the car (do you get a free year or do you think the person got it and forgot to turn it off??) The car has 8,000 mil. but it isn't pre-certified. I am getting (I think) a great price of around $38,000. I haven't even seen a 04 under 41k (but must are pre-cert.) The car is at a MB dealership.

For a little more I can get a brand new 330I with the 255 hp, I love the drive of the car but it was still pretty small in side and does come w/the prem. stereo, xenon lights, 17inc rims and brand new..... but like I said it is kind of small.

My car now is a v8 Lincoln LS w/everything (285 hp), before that Lexus gs400 (300 hp), and I'm just worried about the power on the 525 and really wanted a 530 but don't think I can afford and I never see any 04-05 used, plus I wanted xenon lights and/or prem stereo (but that one wasn't a big deal)....

Do you think that this 05 525i is to good of an offer to refuse, or do you think I should wait? I'm in no hurry but I don't know if this is a great deal I shouldn't pass up.. PLEASE HELP..
Old 05-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

I would be suspicious buying such a new E60 used from a MB dealership. Seems like someone wasn't happy with it - so what's wrong with it? Is it a lemon, been in an accident???? You could save up and pay a few more extra dollars over the 330 to get an 06 530 and even less of a difference for an 06 525 - unless you know you will be happy with the smaller E90.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Get the 525. 525 stands out BIG TIME over a 3 series. The 5 at this dealership is probably just a trade in. MB dealerships dont usually deal with junk. Ask them for a CarFax or do one yourself. Anyway...

A 525 has surprising "get up and go". See a lot of other posts on this board about that. Sure the HP is listed low, but the car does "go" very well. A guy posted earlier today in fact. He has a 545 and he got a 525 as a service loaner and was very surprised. I test drove the 525 and ordered the same day.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525i, Premium Package, Cold package.

I agree with 555. When I took my 525 for service, I asked for a 530 as a loaner. I didn't see much difference between the two. 545 would be a different story. Good luck
Old 05-06-2005, 05:57 AM
Contributors

If you are concerned that the shiney new 330i is a tad small now, you'll be irritated at the size even more in 6 months.
I can't speak to the wisdom of buying a used '05 from a MB dealer.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

Originally Posted by DXXXi' date='May 5 2005, 11:43 PM
I would be suspicious buying such a new E60 used from a MB dealership.? Seems like someone wasn't happy with it - so what's wrong with it?? Is it a lemon, been in an accident????? You could save up and pay a few more extra dollars over the 330 to get an 06 530 and even less of a difference for an 06 525 - unless you know you will be happy with the smaller E90.
[snapback]124717[/snapback]
I did see the info on the car and it had 0 reports.... Also I asked the same thing "why trade in a 05'" and I was told that the person who had the car has always had a MB and he traded it in for a new MB"... but do u guys think that this is a good deal??? Or would I get a better deal if I wait a little? I wanted to buy not lease and they are matching my figure that I wanted to pay a month.

Also the Sirus was working on the car??? The MB dealer actualy had the info on the car faxed to him from BMW with the vin #, and it was wired for Sirus (thought it was like $50 or something like that) but didn't have it. Do you get like a free year or something or do you think the person paid a few months and just forgot???

Lastly it is 05 model (think the date of production was like 11/04) so the bluetooth should work right??? The Idrive screen did have the cellphone dower sign on the left (I think it was the left)..

One more thing Because this is a used car would I still get the full BMW treatment for service, everything is covered except tires right?????

PLEASE GUIDE ME GUY's I'm BMW PUDDY IN YOUR HANDS...
Old 05-06-2005, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DXXXi' date='May 5 2005, 11:43 PM
I would be suspicious buying such a new E60 used from a MB dealership.? Seems like someone wasn't happy with it - so what's wrong with it?? Is it a lemon, been in an accident????? You could save up and pay a few more extra dollars over the 330 to get an 06 530 and even less of a difference for an 06 525 - unless you know you will be happy with the smaller E90.
[snapback]124717[/snapback]
I did get a carfax (They just put the car on there web site and u can see the carfax on it now too) and there where no reports no accidents.... Love the color really wanted xenons (my last 2 cars has had them) but hey i can live w/out, they do look cool w/that lens!!!

How come that color isn't that popular? I have been to the dealership a BUNCH of times and I have never even seen that color on any of there BMW's?? Is that a 5 series only color? A E60 color?
Thanks again guys'
john
Old 05-06-2005, 06:47 AM
JDN
Contributors

One route you might try is to see what your BMW dealer would do for a new 525. He might surprise you considering the fact that a sale is much better than no sale. He could also answer the warranty and service issues. No doubt that service will be better from the selling dealer.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

I have had nothing but bad times @ BMW. Yesterday the dealer called me to test drive the 06 330i and asked me what I thought I told him I loved the drive but just don't like the size, my left leg kept hitting something in the side and it just felt very small to me, asked if I could see an other 5' and he got mad told me there was one in the showroom when I was sitting in it he came over and said "I don't want to get your hopes up with the 5 series, and you are NOT going to be able to get into one, I think the 3 series is the only way you will be getting in one" ... well that was the jest of what he said, so I got Pi$$ed off and said I was going to look at the 3 again and just left..... I don't understand if he could get me into a $41,600 (might have been more) he can't get me into a 04 or 05 5'series?? I live in the Boston area and that was the Peabody BMW, the only other one I know is a pain to go to and I was just thinking in regards to when I have to have it serviced I would have to bring it into town all the time when this is much easier for me...
Old 05-06-2005, 07:02 AM
Senior Members

Here is the CarFax.....

The story of this 2005 BMW 525I (***********) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
This sedan has had 1 owner in Massachusetts. It was originally registered as a lease vehicle. The leasing company actually owned this vehicle and collected payments from the individual leasing it until the vehicle was sold or the lease expired.
It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
It has not been reported by a DMV as having an Exceeds Mechanical Limits or Not Actual Mileage title.
It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. The last odometer reading, reported on 01/05/2005, was 50 miles.
It was not reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).