Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

HELP ME DECIDE: 545 OR 530??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 12:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Nov 12 2004, 11:18 PM
[quote name='alohalc' date='Nov 13 2004, 09:16 AM'][quote name='gmartin' date='Nov 12 2004, 05:35 PM']Go with the 545, I did the math for the MY 545 vs. 530 with the options I wanted and the difference was $5k. With MY 05 the PDC is now standard with the 545 as was the premium package last year.
[snapback]55580[/snapback]
i did the same calculation, too . and i'm so pissed . i wish i order the car few months later :bashwall:.
[snapback]55628[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey alohalc, don't sweat it! There's always something better/cheaper/faster around the corner. That's life.
[snapback]55629[/snapback]
[/quote]
sad but true :'(.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i - Premium Pkg, Logic 7 Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Xenon, NAV, HUD.

Yeah, I'm right in the middle of this decision as well. Test drove the 530i and the 545i today. I definitely like the 545i better, but it adds $136 to my lease price, bringing the 0 down 3 year / 15k miles lease to $966 for a $64k car. I can get the 530i loaded for $830 / month. The 545i has a residual of only 58% and the 530i is 60%. Both leases have 4.5% money factor and 15k miles.

On the one hand, I like the extra power, on the other, I'm not sure the $136 a month extra is worth it. Hell, that would cover my insurance.

From a 0-60 standpoint, everyone will say it's worth it. But, how many times do you just race 0-60 in your car? Maybe if you're 18. Anyways, just count 1 more second and the 530i is right behind you. If you're really worried about speed, both will do 150mph and after 120mph it's all about balls anyway. Also, if you really want 0-60 speed just get a Mitsubish Evo for 25k less - 0-60 4.5 sec. handles better too.

Then again I haven't totally convinced myself because there's always that little part of you that says, "why am I paying 57k for a car w/ less HP than a Nissan Altima?"

Instead of us deciding this crap, BMW should up the HP across the board. If you ask me, for the money, the HP is a rip-off across the whole 5-series line up. The 545i I want is $64k and only 325 hp? For that price you should get 400hp minimum imho.

-Nazz
Old 11-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Members

I was having the same thoughts, but I went with the 530i. I just ordered one last week. I'm not leasing mine, buying it, and 5-6K does make a difference. At least to me. I drove both, and while the 545i obviously has more power, that's about it. To me a BMW is not only about power, but about handling, etc. The 530i is more than adequate for me. I loved it and can't wait to get mine.

When I was younger I had a 5 speed Mustang Cobra. That's when all I cared about was power. It was great for street racing and "passing on the highway", but those days are gone. Nobody "needs" the power the 545 has in my opinion. Or rather that amount of power is not necessary in ANY road/luxury car really if you think about it. How practical is it? How many times can you afford to get ticketed? How many times do you really NEED the power? Do you have places where you can actually USE that power? Ask yourself. Is the fun factor worth it for you? If so then get the 545. To me HP is not so important anymore, like I said. I like the quieter 530's engine in fact.

I also prefer the manual or automatic/steptronic transmissions on the BMWs. I test drove the 545i with the SMG and found it silly to be quite honest. Pointless, I don't care what people say. If you want a manual feel, GET a manual and learn how to drive it. This is not F1, where one needs to change gears in fractions of a second. I simply don't see the need for SMG. I understand why BMW sells it though. It's aimed at people who want to street race and has that coolness/F1 factor. More money for BMW. Good business. But practically, I can't find any use for it. It's less enjoyable to me that a regular manual tranny. It may be fun for 5 minutes, but then what? The coolness factor wears off. Maybe it's just me thought.

Just my 2 cents
Old 11-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Senior Members

I just bought an '04 Corvette Z06 CE so you know I like power. However, my wife loves to drive and loves the 530i with steptronic.

It's more economical gas wise, handles great with the sport package and gets up and goes fast enough when you want it to w/o over doing it, especially in the Sport Mode. You get all the same luxory at the 545. As far as the zero to 60, I haven't heard of many 545's drag racing. In the 60 to 100mph range, the 530 is really good. It keeps pulling and pulling, never letting down.

If you're leaning towards the 530 but want a bit more pickup and torque, I would wait for the new motor.

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545I SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic 7 Pkg, Sport Pkg, BMW Nav Pkg, HUD Pkg, Gargo Liner.

i do agree you lose some feel with smg but you get a different feel then standard manual
for some reason I'm not willing to pay 45k for 530i with that weak V6. current 530i should be around 39k the most but i would love to get a 535d here willing to pay 50k for it
Old 11-15-2004, 01:54 AM

The BMW engines might not have huge power output for what they are, same as mercedes, thats because the engines are built to last.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

So, what's your decision?
Old 12-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Nov 13 2004, 09:55 PM
I was having the same thoughts, but I went with the 530i. I just ordered one last week. I'm not leasing mine, buying it, and 5-6K does make a difference. At least to me. I drove both, and while the 545i obviously has more power, that's about it. To me a BMW is not only about power, but about handling, etc. The 530i is more than adequate for me. I loved it and can't wait to get mine.

When I was younger I had a 5 speed Mustang Cobra. That's when all I cared about was power. It was great for street racing and "passing on the highway", but those days are gone. Nobody "needs" the power the 545 has in my opinion. Or rather that amount of power is not necessary in ANY road/luxury car really if you think about it. How practical is it? How many times can you afford to get ticketed? How many times do you really NEED the power? Do you have places where you can actually USE that power? Ask yourself. Is the fun factor worth it for you? If so then get the 545. To me HP is not so important anymore, like I said. I like the quieter 530's engine in fact.

I also prefer the manual or automatic/steptronic transmissions on the BMWs. I test drove the 545i with the SMG and found it silly to be quite honest. Pointless, I don't care what people say. If you want a manual feel, GET a manual and learn how to drive it. This is not F1, where one needs to change gears in fractions of a second. I simply don't see the need for SMG. I understand why BMW sells it though. It's aimed at people who want to street race and has that coolness/F1 factor. More money for BMW. Good business. But practically, I can't find any use for it. It's less enjoyable to me that a regular manual tranny. It may be fun for 5 minutes, but then what? The coolness factor wears off. Maybe it's just me thought.

Just my 2 cents
[snapback]55874[/snapback]

Very Good Point !!

I agree on most of your post. Yeah, its really hard to use all that HP (545i). Especailly if you are living in California (Bay Area). There is always traffic and its useless with all that HP. I use to have a Nissan 350Z 6 Speed with 287 HP but guess what i hardly get to drive it fast. Unless i wake up really early in the mornings (5 AM ) on the weekends.
Anyway, i already sold that car and planning to get a E60 soon.

The only thing that bothers me is that the 530i has less power that a Altima V6 and its just not a great feeling knowing that. So, that is the only reason i might think of the 545i or just wait until the new engine (R6) comes.
Which is probaly the best bang for the bucks !!!

Anyway i am Still deciding ? and when is the R6 coming ?? March or Summer time ??

Just my 2 cent....................................
Old 12-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

The R6 will come at a premium...the HP in an Altima may be higher, but it's the BMW build, balance, and drive that makes it a BMW and not a Japanese car. For example The Acura TL pumps out 270 hp, but it can't handle it being a fwd. I opted for the 530 due to fianacial reason. Who in their right mind would not want a bigger engine if $$$ was not a factor. If you calculate your monthly payment, that's where your answer is. Heck, if it wasn't about the $$$, we might as well get the M5 right? I live in LA, traffic sucks here too. 530 is quick enough for a good lane change and cornering is awesome. That said, it's all about the $$$. You also have to consider comfort seats or sport seats. If you don't plan on changing the suspension, I would opt for the sports pkg, think body roll when you take that turn at 75mph. That's just me. But I'm sure most of us on this forum likes the stiffer set up, just not the RFT.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: At sea: 2005 545i sport, SMG, cold weather, Logic 7, nav, HUD, heated rear seats, sat prep - black sapphire

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Nov 13 2004, 10:55 PM

Just my 2 cents
[snapback]55874[/snapback]
Yes, very good points. However, if you're concerned with just handling and mileage over hp, then why not save a few more bucks and get a 525?

I know that you don't NEED all that hp, but it sure is more fun! To me, that's worth the extra $.

Quick Reply: HELP ME DECIDE: 545 OR 530??