Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Got my car back today ... WOOWW!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='May 2 2005, 01:28 PM
Holy sh*t, it's like a brand new car!! Am I allowed to say that???

So where do I start.. I guess first with the tires. BMW replaced my old runflat tires due to the noise issue, especially when comming to a stop. BMW covered 100% via a PUMA case and they also covered the mounting and balancing. The dealer recommended an alignment since I got 4 new tires and they discounted it from $249.99 to $100 for me because BMW wouldn't cover it and they really recommended it so I went ahead and told them to just do it. The new tires are awesome, still a rough ride however not noisey!! Silence!! Sooo.. if you're driving on old noisey tires, complain, and complain before you reach 10,000 miles!! A deciding factor is the 10,000 mile mark and if your car has different speed rated tires. I believe before I had Y in the front and W in the rear or vise versa I don't remember.. but they were different. Now all 4 tires are speed rated W, all the same as they should have been to begin with. I think the tread design is very slightly different on the new tires and the dealer claims there's a new rubber compound Dunlop uses now and some other stuff so the tires shouldn't get noisey again. We'll see!!

A second note about the tires is in terms of proper air pressure. A few months ago we discussed this here on the forum but I don't know whatever happeend from it. There was a brand new, recent production, MY2005 545 in the dealers showroom and I took a look at the door jam. The recommended pressure sticker is different than our older cars and the recommended pressure is:
36 psi front, 44 psi rear

Now, the old recommendations were:
32 psi front, 35 psi rear (light load)
38 psi front, 42 psi rear (max load)

As you can see, the new recommendation is a bit different. BMW went through the trouble of replacing the door jam sticker on the newer model and there must have been a very good reason for it. Since we've had this noise problem, I'm following the new recommendation. I suggest you 545i sport owners do the same.

Next.. the CIP 16.2 software update. First of all I previously had 13.2 and now going to 16.2 cleared out all my settings. The A/C status in the bottom left is gone too. I assume that is to make more room for RDS output which I think still doesn't work for us with NAV? Ofcourse the perspective view is there which is highly useless IMO, but it's cool. I personally wish that new left menu bar was never added or would disappear after a while to free? up more map space. Another new NAV featue I didn't see mentioned here is that you can move the map around any which way you want which wasnt possible before. That's pretty good if you want to stay in a close up street view like 800ft and see what's up ahead without zooming out to a 1 mile view and shrinking everything.

Those are the basic things, now here is the real kicker I didn't see mentioned. The car accelerates SOO much better. From 0 to whatever is awesome but more importantly from say 50 to whatever is much better. The car seems to hold higher RPM's especially when on the highway in both normal drive mode and even higher in sport mode so when you hit the gas it's right near peak HP/Torque on the curve and it really takes off. Am I the only one who noticed this? The car does seem faster but that might be because I had a 325ci loaner for a week however the RPM thing I mentioned is a definite fact. I must recommend a software update to 16.2 to any 545 owners (although I assume this applies to the 525/530 aswell).

I couldn't believe it, it's like a brand new car. Going from the 325 also made me appreciate how fast the car really is. I had gotten used to the quick acceleration and thought it was slow but... heck no! LOL?

And finally.. the M-Aerodynamic kit.. WOOOOWWWWW incredible. I love it. I had never seen it in real life, only in pictures. It's awesome. I will post pictures as soon as I can clean the car up. The rims are very dirty from the mounting and they couldn't clean them properly. The car is also quite green now from pollen and other spring type tree garbage. I'm also waiting to get my new longer lug nuts back from the powder coating shop to install the new spacers I got.

Boy... I've never been so happy to get my car back from service before. This is incredible, you can't believe how happy I am. If you read this far and have had these upgrades done, you know the feeling. If you haven't gotten the new software or new tires go in and get them and you'll feel it too!

That's all for now, you may not see me online as often anymore....?

[snapback]122986[/snapback]
Lomag,
how did the thread on your tires look like? my dealer checked my tires and is saying the thread is good and therefore they can not replace the tires. however, my tires are loud, especially when coming to stop like you have said.
i even called the BMW hotline and they talked to my dealer and they say they can not do anything if the dealer says the tires are good. the dealer did not even test drive the car, they did not even drive it.
were your tires just loud, or were they loud and was the tire thread bad?

i am at 9400 miles now.

thanks

UPDATE: the delaer just called and said they notified the BMW about the tires and are waiting to hear from them to see if the BMW is willing to do something about the tires... well, at least now the dealer is actually doing something to help me out... that's how it looks like... i should hear something tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by jsal' date='May 2 2005, 03:53 PM
I thought BMW switched the new cars to Bridgestones.? Would this have any impact on the tire pressure?? Are the bridgestones run flats?

[snapback]123015[/snapback]

My 2006 530i Sport came with Dunlop RFs.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I felt the same way after getting the car back with new tires and CIP 16.1. The software upgrade is a must have.

I did not notice the move map feature. It was always there in input map. Can you move the other maps now?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Very cool!! Cant wait for 16.2. May 17th is my day... and I hope i dont have to deal with noisy tires...
Old 05-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Contributors

my brand new MY2005 545i has a different PSI sticker... 32 or 33fronts and 38 rear! one line, no matrix.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

According to my 2005 manual, 36/44 is only when carrying 4 people plus luggage at speeds over 100 mph with 19" tires mounted.

Normal pressure for up to 4 people at speeds below 100 mph for 18" wheels is 30/35.

The Dunlop issue is a result of manufactuing/design defects as admitted by Dunlop and not an issue with tire pressure.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='May 2 2005, 08:23 PM
According to my 2005 manual, 36/44 is only when carrying 4 people plus luggage at speeds over 100 mph with 19" tires mounted.

Normal pressure for up to 4 people at speeds below 100 mph for 18" wheels is 30/35.

The Dunlop issue is a result of manufactuing/design defects as admitted by Dunlop and not an issue with tire pressure.
[snapback]123195[/snapback]
Do you have any reference to Dunlop admitting defects? they've told me numerous times that there is no defect in the tire at all, but rather the lack of ability to rotate the tires amongst the axle with wheel force causes them to wear faster.

this is why they are STILL fighting with BMW. However, they added an extra tie bar in the soft area to try and help divert wear.

This is what i was told by Dunlop 4 different times, 3 different people!
Old 05-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray 545i auto, navigation, premium sound/Logic7, cold weather, adaptive Xenon, Lumbar support, split rear seat, PDC.

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='May 2 2005, 03:28 PM
Holy sh*t, it's like a brand new car!! Am I allowed to say that??

So where do I start.. I guess first with the tires. BMW replaced my old runflat tires due to the noise issue, especially when comming to a stop. BMW covered 100% via a PUMA case and they also covered the mounting and balancing. The dealer recommended an alignment since I got 4 new tires and they discounted it from $249.99 to $100 for me because BMW wouldn't cover it and they really recommended it so I went ahead and told them to just do it. The new tires are awesome, still a rough ride however not noisey!! Silence!! Sooo.. if you're driving on old noisey tires, complain, and complain before you reach 10,000 miles!! A deciding factor is the 10,000 mile mark and if your car has different speed rated tires. I believe before I had Y in the front and W in the rear or vise versa I don't remember.. but they were different. Now all 4 tires are speed rated W, all the same as they should have been to begin with. I think the tread design is very slightly different on the new tires and the dealer claims there's a new rubber compound Dunlop uses now and some other stuff so the tires shouldn't get noisey again. We'll see!!

A second note about the tires is in terms of proper air pressure. A few months ago we discussed this here on the forum but I don't know whatever happeend from it. There was a brand new, recent production, MY2005 545 in the dealers showroom and I took a look at the door jam. The recommended pressure sticker is different than our older cars and the recommended pressure is:
36 psi front, 44 psi rear

Now, the old recommendations were:
32 psi front, 35 psi rear (light load)
38 psi front, 42 psi rear (max load)

As you can see, the new recommendation is a bit different. BMW went through the trouble of replacing the door jam sticker on the newer model and there must have been a very good reason for it. Since we've had this noise problem, I'm following the new recommendation. I suggest you 545i sport owners do the same.

Next.. the CIP 16.2 software update. First of all I previously had 13.2 and now going to 16.2 cleared out all my settings. The A/C status in the bottom left is gone too. I assume that is to make more room for RDS output which I think still doesn't work for us with NAV? Ofcourse the perspective view is there which is highly useless IMO, but it's cool. I personally wish that new left menu bar was never added or would disappear after a while to free? up more map space. Another new NAV featue I didn't see mentioned here is that you can move the map around any which way you want which wasnt possible before. That's pretty good if you want to stay in a close up street view like 800ft and see what's up ahead without zooming out to a 1 mile view and shrinking everything.

Those are the basic things, now here is the real kicker I didn't see mentioned. The car accelerates SOO much better. From 0 to whatever is awesome but more importantly from say 50 to whatever is much better. The car seems to hold higher RPM's especially when on the highway in both normal drive mode and even higher in sport mode so when you hit the gas it's right near peak HP/Torque on the curve and it really takes off. Am I the only one who noticed this? The car does seem faster but that might be because I had a 325ci loaner for a week however the RPM thing I mentioned is a definite fact. I must recommend a software update to 16.2 to any 545 owners (although I assume this applies to the 525/530 aswell).

I couldn't believe it, it's like a brand new car. Going from the 325 also made me appreciate how fast the car really is. I had gotten used to the quick acceleration and thought it was slow but... heck no! LOL?

And finally.. the M-Aerodynamic kit.. WOOOOWWWWW incredible. I love it. I had never seen it in real life, only in pictures. It's awesome. I will post pictures as soon as I can clean the car up. The rims are very dirty from the mounting and they couldn't clean them properly. The car is also quite green now from pollen and other spring type tree garbage. I'm also waiting to get my new longer lug nuts back from the powder coating shop to install the new spacers I got.

Boy... I've never been so happy to get my car back from service before. This is incredible, you can't believe how happy I am. If you read this far and have had these upgrades done, you know the feeling. If you haven't gotten the new software or new tires go in and get them and you'll feel it too!

That's all for now, you may not see me online as often anymore....?

[snapback]122986[/snapback]
It sounds great but I'm confused. I thought all servce (which would include alignment) is included for 4/50,000. They keep saying eveything except tires not eveything except tires and alignment!?
Old 05-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by mflauer' date='May 2 2005, 06:40 PM
It sounds great but I'm confused. I thought all servce (which would include alignment) is included for 4/50,000. They keep saying eveything except tires not eveything except tires and alignment!?
[snapback]123203[/snapback]
Good point. Shouldn't alignment wheel balancing etc come with a new set of tires. I don't know if they aligned mine, but it drives straight and they obviously balanced each tire when installed new.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='May 2 2005, 06:23 PM

[snapback]123195[/snapback]
It seems like they have changed the recommended tire pressure a few times. In my '05 owners manual, for 19" wheels on a 545i with max load, it says 38F/42R!

For my '05 545i w/ 18" wheels (built 11/04), the sticker on the drivers side b pillar says 36F/44R. I just checked the owners manual and it says to see the sticker on the drivers door post, but then has a table for all the different tire sizes, and it's 32/35 for light load and 38/42 for max load. Since the manuals don't seem to get updated too often, I've always gone with the sticker on the car.

Quick Reply: Got my car back today ... WOOWW!!