Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

First 48 hrs. and pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine neither, and I find it very ugly looking when the armrest is down...
Old 05-19-2004, 02:37 AM
stu
Members

Hi - your car looks great. I especially like the colour of the seat belts - matching the leather. The cover over the rear cup holders (as someone pointed out) is a nice touch.
I must say that the silver trim on the wheel looks very incongruous with the wood trim elsewhere though!
Old 05-19-2004, 05:21 AM
sj3
Senior Members

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the nice things said about my pics. I've probably used up my photo upload allowance here for the next ten years! I've got 3 more I think of the engine bay. If anyone wants a photo of anything in particular, let me know and I'd be happy to oblige. It's at about 105 miles now and just below 1/2-tank. The thing still looks amazingly shiny except for the front wheels. I'm fretting over where to get my first wash done since I don't really know the area that well around here and want someone that will take care in their work. Even the recommended place close to me uses recycled water. Before long, it will also need its first waxing! I really miss the detailer I used to live next door to in northern VA. Thanks again.

Sam
Old 05-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

sj3 (sam),
i thank you for posting those detailed shots of the centre rear compartment of your ultimate machine. i like to know if the owners leather folder can be fitted in there?
can you also post the mirror/window controls on the driver's side, cause i understand certain e60s have the automated motorized folding exterior rear view mirrors (not anti-dazzle). do you have those?
does your right mirror go down to view the curb while on reverse?
do you have those courtesy lights (orangy/reddish) in the front door compartment, if yes i like to see them too.
any update on the triangle situation? i am thinking to put a BMW unbrella there next to the first aid kit, will it fit?
do you have the cargo net, cause i think it is a very handy piece of accssory.
are those 2 rear cigarette lighters on the console? or 12V DC outlets?
i use an ipod with itrip fm transmitter (best music box), do you know if it will fit in one of the front cup holders?
i apologise for all these questions, please understand i am also a very excited owner to be and use many accessories/gadgets in my daily routine. while passing time, question after question keeps popping into my head. like where to place my bluetooth heaset for my 2 cell phones etc.
a thing of automatic car washes from experience, avoid them. this is usually easier said than done, if you must go through a car wash, find one that is touchless and no 'guide rails', the cleaning mechanism moves while your car is stationary. i got my one and only 'rash' on my rims of my 3 year old e46 that way.

also prepare a bucket of soft cloth/shammy/ interior brush/california wing/wheel brush (from costco) handy to dry your car manually after the machine. this usually take me 5 minutes extra but worth the go. rollee

Old 05-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Members

Great pics.
I also have the 116 alloys and find that out of all the 17" wheels the 116 appear to visually fill the wheel arch better - other 17's look smaller.
Mark-Yorkshire
Old 05-19-2004, 01:38 PM
sj3
Senior Members

rollee: I'm honored to try and help with some of your questions. I didn't get the cargo net, but am considering it. We'll see after my first couple of grocery trips (haven't yet). Re: the toolkit...I doubt it will hold anything other than what comes inside; it's not meant as additional storage. You'll see when you get yours; maybe a re-org of some kind may allow one or two small items, but a rattle could result. Certainly not an umbrella. However, there are two netted spaces; one is in the trunk (I forgot to take the pic), and the other in the passenger footwell, which probably would hold an umbrella, probably without interfering at all w/passenger comfort. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere and I think it's really cool. I'll get a pic. Also, I'll let you know if the manual fits in the rear seat armrest and take a pic. I'm pretty sure just the user's manual will fit in there, but we'll see about the leather'ish binder with everything else (service/warranty info, US dealer atlas, 'caring for', etc.) in it. Those are 12v outlets on the rearseat console, not lighters; I'll verify tonight. I'll also try to get a detailed pic/measurement of the driver's cupholder tonight. It should work unless your device is really big. The passenger cup holder is pretty small. Pretty sure no triangle unless it's really hiding. Is your headset flat (ear/boom mic) or around the head? If it's flat, it will fit fine in where the phone eject box is, without a phone in it. I'm not sure if you'll need the eject box or not. Otherwise, I'm not sure where you'd put it; I posted a pic here if the door pockets. It might fit in the rear one on the front door. Yes, my passenger mirror folds down when in reverse, if the switch is set properly (to the left). No, I don't have auto-folding mirrors; pretty sure they're not available in the US.

I'll try and take some pics of interior lighting and the mirror control for you and post them shortly/soon.

Sam
Old 05-19-2004, 08:02 PM
sj3
Senior Members

Re: rear seat lighter sockets...they are 12v power plugs only; not lighters. Also, the bound manual and other items won't fit in the rear armrest. HOWEVER, take the stuff out of the binder and everything does fit, sort of. The operators manual is slight wide for the opening, but just press it in and close the cover; all is fine. The book may get very slightly bent but it's not much stress being put on it. No problem closing and latching the cover with the entire binder's contents. The binder itself won't fit though. The driver's cupholder is 3 inches wide. Amazingly, so is the passenger cupholder. It sure looks smaller but I guess it's the housing of it that is smaller.

I've got some pics to update tomorrow. The netted compartment in the trunk, the netted comparment in the passenger footwell, the front cupholders, and the mirror/window controls on the driver's door. One is here to wet anyone's whistle.

Sam
Attached Thumbnails First 48 hrs. and pics-passnet.jpg  
Old 05-19-2004, 08:04 PM
sj3
Senior Members

Ok, what the heck...
Attached Thumbnails First 48 hrs. and pics-trunknet.jpg  
Old 05-19-2004, 08:06 PM
sj3
Senior Members

No. 3. I'm sorry about the non-perfect focus on this one. Let me know if I need to get more of a closeup.
Attached Thumbnails First 48 hrs. and pics-mirrorcontrols0001.jpg  
Old 05-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

sam you are fab! i am aware of the netted compartments but unsure how they look, gets me thinking which accessories to fit with, or perhaps not?
i'll probably keep the binder in the glove box, i originally thought it will fit nicely in the centre console compartment and i prefer not to keep them in the boot.
i have this thing about the long BMW umbrella (one with a metal handle). its my tradition to have a new BMW umbrella to go with the car.
as for the armrest mirror/windows control, you've solved my question. i saw an alternate button next to the left/right in europe, for controlling the folding action of the exterior rear view mirrors.
when i got my first BMW 3 years ago, the lowering of the right mirror while in reverse blew me away, the vivid image is still lingering on my mind. really cool!
thanks for the posts again.
BTW do you have the run flats? is there a spare tire in the trunk anyways? i dont mind seeing a pic of the spare compartment to see what took up its place.
i also always have a surefire flashlight in my car, very handy. www.surefire.com

Quick Reply: First 48 hrs. and pics