Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Extend my warranty or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Wassup everyone!

I just had my 545 serviced for brake fluid flush (from dealer) and the SA asked if i was keeping my car. "Hell ya!" I told 'em. He then told me for only $1995 I could extend my warranty for an additional 2 year/50k miles. I got roughly 900 more miles b4 i hit the big 5-0 (4 yrs this feb) and if I was to purchase after my warranty is over it would cost a lot more. Considering how costly it is to do maintenance on these vehicles (let alone frequency), would you extend the warranty? Why or why not?

thanx for the feedback
Old 01-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See sig :)

extend it, bmws unrealiable than any car.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by tbal' post='778236' date='Jan 27 2009, 12:47 AM
extend it, bmws unrealiable than any car.
I hear yo bro' loud and clear. thanx for the input. wanna hear what the rest have to say......
Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

For $1995 DO IT! I've had my car warrantied 4x's. It's worth it...trust me
Old 01-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat' post='778232' date='Jan 27 2009, 01:40 AM
Wassup everyone!

I just had my 545 serviced for brake fluid flush (from dealer) and the SA asked if i was keeping my car. "Hell ya!" I told 'em. He then told me for only $1995 I could extend my warranty for an additional 2 year/50k miles. I got roughly 900 more miles b4 i hit the big 5-0 (4 yrs this feb) and if I was to purchase after my warranty is over it would cost a lot more. Considering how costly it is to do maintenance on these vehicles (let alone frequency), would you extend the warranty? Why or why not?

thanx for the feedback
Did SA really said warranty and not the maintenance? If he did, then I would get it in a heart beat!!!!!
I'm not trying being an ass but it seems that from the conversation you had with your SA, I kinda have a feeling
that he's talking about the maintenance extension(you brought the car to dealer for brake flush which is maintenance and SA is aking you are keeping the car, that's where I get the feeling of maintenance not the warranty). Often people get confused with those two. Partially faults on BMW as invoice says "warranty" on maintenance work not maintenance plan, which give the influence to the owners that warranty covers maintenance.
Make sure it's the warranty as $1995 is what my dealer charges for the maintenance extension. $1995 is
the lowest factory warranty extension I ever seen from a dealer.

Good luck.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by uheenada' post='778256' date='Jan 27 2009, 01:30 AM
Did SA really said warranty and not the maintenance? If he did, then I would get it in a heart beat!!!!!
I'm not trying being an ass but it seems that from the conversation you had with your SA, I kinda have a feeling
that he's talking about the maintenance extension(you brought the car to dealer for brake flush which is maintenance and SA is aking you are keeping the car that's where I get the feeling of maintenance not the warranty).
Make sure it's the warranty as $1995 is what my dealer charges for the maintenance extension. $1995 is
the lowest factory warranty extension I ever seen from a dealer.

Good luck.
+1

The warranty extension is different from the factory warranty. The extension does cover a lot.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Trinity Autosport' post='778246' date='Jan 27 2009, 03:18 AM
For $1995 DO IT! I've had my car warrantied 4x's. It's worth it...trust me
How, or why would you warranty your car four times? How many miles do you have on it?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

And if it is actually for extending factory warranty and not maintenance, let me know the name of the dealer. I will call him right away to get my warranty extended.

BTW, anecdotal evidence from e60.net indicates that maintenance extension runs ~$1700.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked this same question in an e-mail in Roundel magazine. He (Mike Miller) put his answer in the magazine, so now I guess I should be famous - at least in my own mind.
He recommended the "old" BMW maint. guide rather than getting an extended warranty. Basically it calls for more frequent fluid changes - oil, differential, transmission...
I agree with the others that he is probably talking about the extended maint. agreement - it is usually $1695. If you are near time for rotors and pads and want OEM done by the dealer then it'll pay for itself with that service alone. Note that you can get it done quite a bit cheaper at an independent shop, though.
I worry about the i-drive failing personally, but it looks like the i-drive is not covered by the bmw ext warranty. I don't know enough about any of the other aftermarket companies to make any judgement, otherwise
Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1' post='778352' date='Jan 27 2009, 10:20 AM
I asked this same question in an e-mail in Roundel magazine. He (Mike Miller) put his answer in the magazine, so now I guess I should be famous - at least in my own mind.
He recommended the "old" BMW maint. guide rather than getting an extended warranty. Basically it calls for more frequent fluid changes - oil, differential, transmission...
I agree with the others that he is probably talking about the extended maint. agreement - it is usually $1695. If you are near time for rotors and pads and want OEM done by the dealer then it'll pay for itself with that service alone. Note that you can get it done quite a bit cheaper at an independent shop, though.
I worry about the i-drive failing personally, but it looks like the i-drive is not covered by the bmw ext warranty. I don't know enough about any of the other aftermarket companies to make any judgement, otherwise
Why wouldn't the Idrive be covered under the extended warranty? Doesn't the word "extended" imply they will simply extend or prolong the warranty you have now, which would cover the Idrive?

+1 on what the others are saying. Sounds to me that the SA was talking about maintenance warranty and not extended (repairs) warranty. If that's the case, they should be talked down to about $1500~1600.

Quick Reply: Extend my warranty or not?