Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

European Delivery..... for us in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

I'm just wondering having read Irv's thread on European Delivery.

Given the price difference between the cars here in Europe and the US could I fly to a dealer in the US, order my US M5 for the price of a 530i in Europe, specify European Delivery from Munich ... and then sort of like.... miss the boat

On delivery do I get enough paper work with the car to be able to register it in the EU? My understanding is that I would need to pay VAT on top of the US price but possibly that would still make it worthwhile.

--
Przemek (with his scheming hat on)
Old 07-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i, sport package & all the other goodies included

Sounds like a plan. Good luck with that.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Originally Posted by Hatchman50' post='315021' date='Jul 26 2006, 12:41 AM
Sounds like a plan. Good luck with that.
I'm not saying I'm running off to do it. I'm just curious whether it's possible.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

And, why doesn't BMer have a US delivery for those in Europe? We have some nice roads too.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Znod' post='315032' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:20 PM
And, why doesn't BMer have a US delivery for those in Europe? We have some nice roads too.

LOL
Old 07-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Contributors

I think you need a US issued passport, although I am not 100% sure. They did need my passport when I finalized the paperwork on all 3 of my Euro Deliveries, as well as when I picked the cars up in Munich.

Also, there are limitations on how long the car can be kept in Europe before shipping it back to the US (16% penalty charged if left in Europe more than 6 months), but then you don't care about that if they can't catch you.

Another issue with the M cars and the 6'er is that BMW NA does not offer them for Euro Delivery. Well, technically they offer the 6er at a ED price, but don't give the dealer an extra car (outside their normal allocation) for an ED 6er, which they do with other models. So most dealers don't like to do ED 6ers, but some do. On the M cars BMW NA does not offer ED, so if the dealer is willing to do it they can, but at the regular US price, not a discounted ED price.

One other thing is the regulations in your country......are they OK with a US spec car or will you need to modify anything.

My feeling is that you can't buy a US model ED car and just keep it in Europe long term. I think BMW would make you pay the difference and the penatlties (if they can catch you).

An alternate to ED for you to consider is having a member of the US Military or a US Diplomat living in Europe buy a US BMW through the Military or Diplomat sales programs. I don't know if they are allowed to sell the car in Europe after taking delivery, but if they can that would be a more realistic option than ED.

Here are some of the eligibility requirements:

Eligibility and restrictions

To qualify for the BMW European Delivery Program, you must meet the following requirements:

-Be at least 18 years of age with a valid driver's license.

-Place your order through an authorized BMW center. Note: Z4 and X5 models are not eligible for the
European Delivery Program because BMW builds these vehicles at its Spartanburg, SC, plant.

-You may keep your car in Europe up to 6 months after delivery (there is a 16% penalty tax if your car is not exported within the 6-month period). Cars financed or leased through BMW Financial Services must be exported within 90 days.

-Your new BMW is restricted to private use by tourists. Persons working in Europe on temporary or long-term assignments are not eligible for the special customs license plates issued under the European Delivery Program.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Members

FYI, M cars are available for ED, except that one will not get any discount and the price will be US MSRP or more. Any dealer with an available M car slot will be able to specify that the M car is to be delivered in Munich for an ED.

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='315060' date='Jul 25 2006, 07:51 PM
Another issue with the M cars and the 6'er is that BMW NA does not offer them for Euro Delivery. Well, technically they offer the 6er at a ED price, but don't give the dealer an extra car (outside their normal allocation) for an ED 6er, which they do with other models. So most dealers don't like to do ED 6ers, but some do. On the M cars BMW NA does not offer ED, so if the dealer is willing to do it they can, but at the regular US price, not a discounted ED price.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Members

The 6 months rule is for tax purposes only, as you can keep the car in EU for 6 mths tax free. Afterwards, either export the car or pay the tax.
The only hurdle, apart from whether the dealer in US is willing to accept ur order, is car conformity. Not sure if EU homologation rules apply to Poland, but if that's the case, the car needs to be put thru a Single Vehicle Approval test (in UK at least). This will determine which parts need to be changed (usually lights & some other small parts).
Old 07-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by joseyu' post='315065' date='Jul 25 2006, 06:08 PM
FYI, M cars are available for ED, except that one will not get any discount and the price will be US MSRP or more. Any dealer with an available M car slot will be able to specify that the M car is to be delivered in Munich for a ED.
That is more or less what I said.

Technically BMW's "Euro Delivery Program" is not just them letting you pick up the car in Europe, but also the cost savings that are associated with it. In that sense the M cars are not available as part of the Euro Delivery Program. If you go to the ED website all the European built BMW's are listed there, but there are no M cars listed at all. If you call ED on the phone they will also tell you that the M cars are not available for ED. HOWEVER, if someone is willing to pay what the dealer is asking for an M car then the dealer will place the order through ED, and ED will arrange for the car to be delivered in Europe. That way all the aspects of the Euro Delivery experience are still there other than the cost savings.

This is in contrast with the time I did my 1995 M3 ED. At that time the M3 was clearly part of the ED program INCLUDING the cost savings.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

besides what's been discussed already, you'll have a us spec car in eu.
that means no warranty.

Quick Reply: European Delivery..... for us in Europe