Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

European Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

European Delivery Questions

This forum is great and very informative. Many thanks to all.

My current situation is I?ve been comparing the new 2005 A6 to the E60. I?m now 93.27% sure the E60 is the best choice, as the A6 just doesn?t grab me style-wise (exterior and interior). The interior is better, but maybe it?s a bit too jazzy. It would be nice to have both for a year and then decide. As for the E60, it looks, handles, rides, and feels better. Seats are better as well. I haven?t driven the 545 yet, but will do this soon.

On this forum, the clear favorite is the 545 over the 530. $5K more is not a big deal, given I keep cars for over 5 years. The question is whether to wait for the R6 engine or not. If I wait, price will go up at least $1K and performance will be slightly less than the current 545. A longer wait gets an V8 upgrade and E60 will be a virtually rocket. Never a right answer, only choices.

Given the alternatives, an ED 545 next year seems to be the best choice for me. I have a number of questions on this. I?d appreciate any help.

1) What dealer should I contact? Someone in Germany or US. Names?
2) What dollar amount over invoice should I pay? 1K? Target ED invoice?
3) If I wait till January, will price change dramatically?
4) I guess they?ll drill holes in the front bumper. Can these be repaired without a huge bill? Anyone repainted? (I?m in IL and never put on the front plate)
5) How long to get the car back?
6) How does this look?
Silgry or White/Beige 545i
step, sport, prem, CW, Nav, Split Fold,

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS My 2003 A4 is going back to the dealer for yet another repair. Four somewhat major items thus far and a total of four weeks in a loaner car. I?m getting wary of Audis.

CVT Benhogan

Old 12-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' date='Dec 21 2004, 11:24 AM
4) I guess they?ll drill holes in the front bumper.? Can these be repaired without a huge bill?? Anyone repainted?? (I?m in IL and never put on the front plate)
[snapback]71134[/snapback]
Are you sure they'll have to drill holes in the front bumper? Do all ED get this done?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

You'll find all your questions answered hereBimmerfest ED Forum

Yes, I happened to be the Moderator

cheers,

beewang
Old 12-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi CVTBenhogan,
Please see my answers below:
1) What dealer should I contact? Someone in Germany or US. Names?
You can contact any dealer in your area. Shopping around for ED price

2) What dollar amount over invoice should I pay? 1K? Target ED invoice?
1.5K over ED INVOICE is a fair profit for dealer. For R6 engine, I guess might be 2K over ED INVOICE. Remember, ED Invoice price is lower than normal invoice price you see on KBB or Edmunds.com

3) If I wait till January, will price change dramatically?
It does not matter as long as you wait until the end of the month

4) I guess they?ll drill holes in the front bumper. Can these be repaired without a huge bill? Anyone repainted? (I?m in IL and never put on the front plate)
Don't worry much about this. It's doable, but you'd rather have your front license plate or you'll be pulled over (I'm not sure if that is the case in your state). It might cost a couple hundred dollars.

5) How long to get the car back?
The average from the day you order to the day you receive the car is 3+ months. It's a long wait.
6) How does this look?

Silgry or White/Beige 545i
step, sport, prem, CW, Nav, Split Fold,
Need to add:
- L7 (if you often listening to music, it a must)
- HUD is a very cool feature. It's a "must have"
- Rear sunscreen (if you have kid) and parking assistant?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Dec 21 2004, 11:58 AM
[quote name='CVTBenhogan' date='Dec 21 2004, 11:24 AM']
4) I guess they?ll drill holes in the front bumper.? Can these be repaired without a huge bill??? Anyone repainted?? (I?m in IL and never put on the front plate)
[snapback]71134[/snapback]
Are you sure they'll have to drill holes in the front bumper? Do all ED get this done?
[snapback]71149[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes!! They do!! <_< It is required by law.

However....

There is only one way I know of you might be able to get away from getting the holes drilled in front bumper.

1) Assuming your front plate wasn't/hasn't been installed systematiclly during the 30 days wait period (After the cars is assembled, but before you showed-up to pick up).

2) Upon arriving at the ED pick-up center and idetified yourself and your paperwork who you are and what car you are picking up.

3) Ask the people there nicely (but be presistent) that you would like NO HOLES drilled on your front bumper and ask them to just take use the black double sided tape and to tape the front plate into place.

4) Don't forget to thank them, as they are doing you a favor and operating out of procedure.

5) Send beewang a check for $10 as I just saved you the hassle of patching up the front bumper and paint, etc.

Good luck,

beewang

2)
Old 12-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Contributors

CVT Benhogan

On the point of the 530 vs 545, its a matter of need really, and i dont think there is a consesus here for the 545....

im waiting on the 530i R6 amongst other things, its available in march and it will have ~258bhp...as for the price increase, i would expect $500 to $1000 max for the new engines,

1- any BMW NA dealer should be able to do the ED for you, but you will have to shop around to get the best deal as with any purchase

2- the price is about 7% less, and some have been able to negotiate down further to about $2K above dealer ED invoice

3- there is a deal now for ED where BMW NA is giving 2 free airline tickets to Germany if you secure a deal by January for spring travel

4- i guess you are talking about a license plate holder, BMW takes care of this

5- this is the tough part, figure it will be at least a month to build, and then you take ED, and then its about 2 months after you drop the car off before delivery in the US...so this can be a 4 month wait easy, the only negative to the program

6- those color combos/ options sound nice, take a look in the member galleries and you will probably see the combs in living color....

good luck!!!
Old 12-21-2004, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

Thanks ... if it too late, does BMW have "plugs" that match your car colour?
Old 12-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Contributors

I did a euro delivery in May and it was fantastic.

1. I used a local North suburban dealer. My sales person was originally from munich and was extremely helpful. Any dealer can set up ED though.

2. Tougher to answer - this will vary by dealer but 2K over ED invoice is reasonable.

3. Unknown but there is a good deal on free airline tickets so the value of these should be figured in to the cost of the deal. I'm not sure what the ciurrent deadline is but it's on the BMW website.

4. I have a BMW logo plate on the front so it was not an issue for me.

5. I ordered the car in March, picked it up in Munich in mid-May took redelivery in IL on 7/5.

6. Sounds good but I'm partial to Titanium Grey.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Contributors

CVT Benhogan

I was in the same situation that you are in. I have an Audi A4 - love it. I was going to buy another Audi - the new A6 4.2. But as much as I loved the interior I hate what Audi did with the new nose design. In comparing the A6 with the 545i, I decided on BMW. They are just a little bit sportier in their handling, especially with the must have sports package.

I am also doing European Delivery. I am picking up my car next month. And it will probably be March by the time I get it back here.

I went to 3 different BMW dealers in my area and bought the car from the dealer that gave me the best price on ED.

I decided on Silver/Gray with a Beige interior.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s
Exclamation

Originally Posted by uwsc11' date='Dec 21 2004, 03:17 PM
CVT Benhogan

I was in the same situation that you are in. I have an Audi A4 - love it. I was going to buy another Audi - the new A6 4.2. But as much as I loved the interior I hate what Audi did with the new nose design. In comparing the A6 with the 545i, I decided on BMW. They are just a little bit sportier in their handling, especially with the must have sports package.

I am also doing European Delivery. I am picking up my car next month. And it will probably be March by the time I get it back here.

I went to 3 different BMW dealers in my area and bought the car from the dealer that gave me the best price on ED.

I decided on Silver/Gray with a Beige interior.
[snapback]71199[/snapback]
OMG!

We have very, very similar tastes in cars and in the same situation. . IMHO, Audi owners know classy designs. I completely agree that the A6 nose just doesn?t do anything exciting. I keep telling myself I?m missing it, and then convince myself the side and rear look good enough. Shouldn?t have to do this. The A4 is by far better looking and it was love at first sight. While A6 interior is excellent in finish and layout, it?s just too flashy and not handsomely understated like the A4s. I like my A4 CVT 3.0, just wish it was more reliable, bigger and handled with less roll and bounce.

As for the E60, the silver gray exterior looks great, which is probably why it appears prominently on the main brochure. The lighter colors allow you to see the various curves and flowing creases on the body. It makes the car look bigger too. Silver is nice, albeit very common without the unique and expensive look of the silver gray. My issue is that I haven?t seen a silver grey sport yet and non-sport cars versions look real plain and dark. White is nice too, I just haven?t seen one with 18?s. I think the beige offers the most contrast and warmth to the cabin. I?m generally not a beige guy. Too bad BMW can?t offer the amaretto color of the A6, as the Auburn is not for the subtle types like me.

Your option list, except the sunshades, is what I?m thinking of. Of course why not load it. While I?ve haven?t driven the 545i yet, I think more power is needed when shelling $60K for a dream car. The 530 was nice but was not any faster than my A4. The BMW handles better than the A6 in terms of steering and feels lighter and more agile. The A6, both the 3.4 and 4.2, felt heavier and some bumps actually caused rattles in the cabin. This was a big surprise!! The 530 sport was tight, quiet and no rattles. The engine-tranny combo is not as smooth as a CVT, but smoother than Quattro by far.

ED looks good. When did you have to pay for your car? I?d hate to pay in full 2 months prior to pickup and then wait another 2 months for delivery. That?s like making payments without the car.

Off to take the A4 in for more service. Noise in the steering. Just had the power steering pump replaced. Darn it.

By the way congrats,

PS I?d put the chrome trim back on, like Katmai?s 545i. LOL

CVT Benhogan

Quick Reply: European Delivery