Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

E60 Price Increase in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waschbaerbauch:

I am also waiting for the Particle filter. I hope that the Swedish taxation system changes as well so that we can get a lower tax for the cleaner new car!
Old 01-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Members

My Ride: E90 330i Sport & E46 323Ci

Originally Posted by ky_soldier' date='Jan 18 2004, 12:07 AM
That's crap.? I remember BMW on CNBC about six months ago, bragging about how they were hedged, and that they were so proud of themselves for setting up the plant in the US (Spartanburg, SC) and that they could handle currency fluctuations.? As far as I am concerned, all they did was give the dealers a little more margin or perceived discount to the customer.? NO corporation that large that does business internationally should be falling asleep at the wheel (pardon the pun!) when it comes to currency fluctuations.? They pay the largest finance companies in the world to manage that stuff.

That having been said, I am taking Euro delivery of an Oxford Green 525i on March 17th (St Patrick's Day!).? Also, I didn't pay the increase, even though it supposedly applied to all vehicles delivered after 1 Jan 04.?

To that extent, why would the Z4 or X5 have any price change, since they are built in the US (I know there are a bunch or European parts, but still)?

Unfortunately, BMW cannot hedge forever.

If they were able to protect themselves indefinitely from changes in the exchange rate, they would quit making cars and go into trading currency futures. Its not a matter of falling asleep, its being able to predict how far out in time you think the Euro is going to outpace the dollar. It can also become quite expensive to keep buying what can only be extremely large denominations of these future contracts.

Also, when they 'bragged' about being hedged, they DID mention that they were only protected until mid-2004. That means if the Euro continues to increase after that time has passed, we can only expect even more of the same price increases that are still on their way.

Finally yes, building some vehicles in the U.S. helps but, those are not a huge percentage of total unit car sales for BMW and more importantly, many of those are also sold here, which nullifies a lot of the U.S. currency advantage they get when building here.

R.R.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ky_soldier' date='Jan 18 2004, 12:07 AM
As far as I am concerned, all they did was give the dealers a little more margin or perceived discount to the customer.
the dealer said to me that they no have 9% margin instead of 11% margin due to economy changes. i think thats a crap...isn it?
Old 01-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Members

I might be overly skeptical, but, again, why would they raise the X5 and Z4 prices as well, part costs?

And when the Euro falls against the dollar, BMW will lower it's prices back down, right?

Uh huh...that's why they are full of it. You watch, the dollar will rebound some, the economy will improve, and they will hold the line on prices and discounts and be even more profitable! Supply and demand.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Members

kysoldier;
I agree. BMW certainly won't lower prices as they have not done that historically when the dollar was strong.

B.T.W.; I am not bashing BMW and of course all European manufacturers are affected by this. It just pains me to know that their product is currently out of my reach and may not have been if it wasn't for this currency crap. Hopefully, my savings rate will outpace their price increases.

R.R.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Members

It just upsets me that this 5 series was already higher than it should have been from the start. To cry "we can't hedge" does not seem right. Time will only tell if they can actually hold the line with these prices. Best of luck.....Eric
Old 01-27-2004, 03:49 AM

What is a bit sly about this is that we punters are penalised if we want to order cars with options not currently available. For example, I've ordered Navigation Professional. As this is not available until March build, I will be paying an extra 3% on the whole car for the privelege.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:42 AM
Members

Or if we decide to wait for any OTHER changes, like more powerful engines for example. Regardless of option choices, hats off to those who took the bold step in ordering as soon as possible because it doesn't look like BMW will be stabilizing prices anytime soon.....

Courtesy: Bloomberg News:
Euro Surges as German Confidence Gains; Yen at Three-Year High

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=e...id=aAIOHsAvzlPg

R.R.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:22 PM

RichReg why don't you post on Roadfly anymore?
Old 01-28-2004, 05:04 AM
Members

<_<
Well, I could answer that question but apparently, I am at a loss.

You know my name, but I don't know yours....
Do you post on Roadfly?

R.R.

Quick Reply: E60 Price Increase in the UK