Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dunlop Runflat noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Well... let me start of by saying, I now know what some of you mean! I've always thought you guys were too picky or full of it with this runflat noise issue but ....

Well .. today I took off my winter wheels and put back the 124 dunlop summer wheels and holy sh*t, the noise is crazy. But I didn't notice it before? I also didn't notice the noise "go away" when I put the winter tires on in the fall but I sure as hell notice the new noise after taking off the winter tires.

I'm going to push for a 100% credit and furthermore I'm going to push for a non-runflat replacement with me convering the cost difference, namely the good year GS-D3 tires. I doubt non-runflat tires will fly but we'll see. I put about 7000 miles on the runflats with about 9000 total miles on the car now. 2000 on the winter tires. I doubt the dealer will even believe my winter tire story but ... we'll see what happens in respect to that too!

Boy this is really something. Sorry to re-hash such an old issue but it was one of those "ah-ha" moments for me this evening.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Apr 6 2005, 08:12 PM
Well... let me start of by saying, I now know what some of you mean! I've always thought you guys were too picky or full of it with this runflat noise issue but ....

Well .. today I took off my winter wheels and put back the 124 dunlop summer wheels and holy sh*t, the noise is crazy. But I didn't notice it before? I also didn't notice the noise "go away" when I put the winter tires on in the fall but I sure as hell notice the new noise after taking off the winter tires.

I'm going to push for a 100% credit and furthermore I'm going to push for a non-runflat replacement with me convering the cost difference, namely the good year GS-D3 tires. I doubt non-runflat tires will fly but we'll see.

Boy this is really something. Sorry to re-hash such an old issue but it was one of those "ah-ha" moments for me this evening.
[snapback]112223[/snapback]

Interesting comment, as all I have ever had were the RF's and I find them fairly loud, but I didn't know if I was just being my typical "high standard" self. Would you mind posting a few pics of your treadwear, I am interested in seeing if there are any similarities. I have about 6K miles on mine.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

sorry to hear that it happened you...good for you on getting them replaced. I go in next week to get mine replaced with bridgestones and i started hearing the noise at about 9000 miles also. I've got 16,500 miles now and im ready for the new shoes 100% replaced by BMW. I know, I know...the horse is dead...good luck!
Old 04-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Jet Black, Black, Sport, Prem Sound, PDC, Rear sunshades, integrated phone, Sirius, Huper Optik tint, Euro Reflectors

Welcome to the club, Mark! Maybe we should start another E60 group for the hard of hearing. Good luck on the replacements. I've got about 2000 miles on my replacement Bridgestones and so far so good.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Lomag hits the 7000 mile "magic number!" Don't worry about the dealer "believing you" about the winter tires. Just tell them the truth -- why wouldn't they believe you used winter tires for the last few months? Just tell them you have 7000 miles on the Dunlops and the noise is unacceptable.

Also, if your dealer says they're unaware of this issue, I'm sure you already know to tell them to open a PUMA case with BMW. If they won't do that or are still confused, print the following thread and show it to them:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=6223

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2005, 04:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004- 545, sports package, 6 speed manual, active drive

I live in Montreal and drive a 545 with thet sp and got 17100 km on my rf, i mentionned the noise to my sa , they had a look at it. they told me that noise came from having they thread not even. The phone bmw and decided to change my tires free of charge.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:11 AM
stu
Members

is there anyone in the ul who has experienced this from their dunlop dsst's?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, SMG, Silver Grey, Black leather w/anthracite trim, Premium, Sport, Cold, Rear Fold Down Seats, Rear Seat Heating, Xenons. Mods: 545i chrome grill, Euro Red Reflectors and 20% window tint. Coming Soon: Dual LCD monitors w/DVD and Subwoofer install.

Before I got mine replaced, I could not hear the turn signal clicking noise when enabled. That might not seem like much, but that level of noise made conversation with my son in the back seat very tough.

My car feels like a different car now.

Had to get runflats again though (some new version of the same tire) so we'll see in another 6000-8000 miles.

Matt
Old 04-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004- 545, sports package, 6 speed manual, active drive

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Apr 6 2005, 08:12 PM

I'm going to push for a 100% credit and furthermore I'm going to push for a non-runflat replacement with me convering the cost difference, namely the good year GS-D3 tires. I doubt non-runflat tires will fly but we'll see. I put about 7000 miles on the runflats with about 9000 total miles on the car now. 2000 on the winter tires. I doubt the dealer will even believe my winter tire story but ... we'll see what happens in respect to that too!

[snapback]112223[/snapback]
my car always had the noise and i didnt realise it till i put my winter tires on. So i complained to BMW Canada and within the next week there supposed to take in my car and give me a new set FFFFFFRRRRRRREEEEEE!!!