Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dunlop run flat problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Aug 04 530d in Silver Grey

Hi everyone,

After lurking on these forums for a few weeks and finding lots of useful information, I have decided to make my first post.

I have been able to find from these forums that I am not alone in having problems my Dunlop 17" Run flats on my August 04 530d. When I found the TSB that some members kindly posted I was delighted, as I thought that BMW UK would not be able to avoid the issue. Even though the TSB was for North America, to me it provided clear evidence that these particular tyres are defective, and also dangerous. My car has 15,000 miles and the fronts are in a disgraceful condition, and the backs are not much better.

However, I have spent most of today fighting with my Local dealer, followed by at least 1 1/2 hrs on the phone with BMW UK Customer service. The dealer has let slip that they have had issues with these tyres, but BMW UK can only say "not that we are aware of" when I put it to them that there is a known problem with the tyres. Even when I fax the North American TSB to them they can only say that "This is the UK, not America" Even after this, they will not admit to the problems.

After wasting a lot of time today, they ended up offering me no other option but to spend ?700 on 4 new tyres, and the possibility that Dunlop might make a goodwill gesture after the defective tyres are sent for analysis. This is pathetic - as far as BMW UK are concerned, the problem is to be sorted out between me and Dunlop, with the assistance of my dealer!!! In America you guys get 4 new tires!!

Is there anyone on here from the UK that has encountered this problem, and if so how did you get the issue resolved? Needless to say I am absolutely livid, and am refusing to pay up, but this leaves me with an unsafe car until this issue is resolved.

Any ideas where I stand? Am I being unreasonable or are BMW?

Anyway, it is good to have joined this forum.

Ian
Old 03-02-2006, 12:25 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

No good news I am afraid.

Consumer protection for car buyers in the US is on a different planet to here in the UK.

Tyres are not warrantied other than if 'suffering from manufacturing defect'.

The fact that Dunlop make crap tyres is not a defect, they are just crap !

+ the tyres are 18 months old, even though the mileage is not high.

I think you will just have to bite the bullett and pay for your own. I am guessing that your tyres are 225/50/17, so Michelin PS2's are out. You should be able to get Continental SC2's for about ?500 or Goodyear GS D3's for a bit more.

Good Luck.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

The best action would be to put the details in writing to BMW UK with print-outs of the notices on this site. Then inform BMW UK other UK buyers will be viewing the post and doing the same thing. BMW are resposible for specifiying the tyres on their cars and therefor should shoulder resposibility along with Dunlop. If numbers are sufficient and this is backed up by similar complaints they will be complelled to react. Letters to Autocar(I sometimes think Haymarket are a division of BMW anyway) and Auto Express that get published also will prompt a responce from BMW GB as they definately dont like bad publicity.

A fact of life is car manufacturers are powerful and individuals are weak a fact they prey on.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='248731' date='Mar 2 2006, 09:25 PM
No good news I am afraid.

Consumer protection for car buyers in the US is on a different planet to here in the UK.

Tyres are not warrantied other than if 'suffering from manufacturing defect'.

The fact that Dunlop make crap tyres is not a defect, they are just crap !

+ the tyres are 18 months old, even though the mileage is not high.

I think you will just have to bite the bullett and pay for your own. I am guessing that your tyres are 225/50/17, so Michelin PS2's are out. You should be able to get Continental SC2's for about ?500 or Goodyear GS D3's for a bit more.

Good Luck.
Indeed, 15k miles on the Dunlops is 1k more than I got! Changed to PS2's and I'm 100% happy - hopefully, they'll last more than 20k miles...
Old 03-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by colejl' post='248808' date='Mar 2 2006, 10:46 PM
Indeed, 15k miles on the Dunlops is 1k more than I got! Changed to PS2's and I'm 100% happy - hopefully, they'll last more than 20k miles...
The fact the tyres are 1 1/2 years old and you have done 15k miles on them means I bet you get nowwhere.
18k miles is the most I have ever got from any set of tyres and I usually change them after 12k miles on the wheels that are driving the car and ususally get half as much again on the others.

The tyres on mine were changed at 18k, what sort of life do you expect to get from them?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

My Dunlop runflats were barely legal after 11000 careful miles. I too contacted my BMW dealer & mailed customer services about the problem ( so they do know about it, despite denials ). I got the standard response, contact Dunlop UK. I did & spoke to tyre expert there who also had not heard of the excessive wear/noise problem before!!. Sounds like a conspiracy. Dunlop would look at the tyres if I sent them off, but I felt I would have to jump through so many hoops it was not worth the stress.
I was in dealers the other day, new E60 had Bridgestone tyres. I wonder why.
If you are going to stick to Dunlop then may I suggest you shop around, my 18'' were ?150 approx from local tyre company ( Bracknell tyres ) compared to ?225 from BMW ( I had 2 changed on insurance due to punctures ).
I am going to change to non-RF soon & will never use Dunlop again as I have no confidence in the product or aftersales support.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d M sport auto, Carbon black, Beige leather, Light poplar trim, Media pack, Extended voice control.

Have just taken delivery of new 530 d M Sport Auto and I am dismayed to hear about your tyre problems.

I have just traded in a 3 year old 325 Se Auto which still had the original tyres (stil legal, just!) and had completed 49,000 miles. I know I won't get that level of performance from the 530 but does anybody have a realistic expectation of life of the Good Year NCT Eagle 5 fitted as standard?
Old 03-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d M sport Touring Titanium Silver Media Package Privacy Glass

Originally Posted by Nige Nige' post='249244' date='Mar 3 2006, 04:12 PM
Have just taken delivery of new 530 d M Sport Auto and I am dismayed to hear about your tyre problems.

I have just traded in a 3 year old 325 Se Auto which still had the original tyres (stil legal, just!) and had completed 49,000 miles. I know I won't get that level of performance from the 530 but does anybody have a realistic expectation of life of the Good Year NCT Eagle 5 fitted as standard?
Wear levels on my nct5 run flats so far seem pretty good but like with a lot of owners i'm about to change the tyres premeture as the ride is appualling.

There are some good deals around and i'm changing my 245/40/18's for Eagle F1 gsd3's for just over ?500 all in.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Members

My Ride: Aug 04 530d in Silver Grey

Thanks for the replies everyone, but I am dismayed that so many of you feel that I should just accept the situation. To me this is the reason why the UK is known as "Rip-off Britain", as consumers in America would not stand for this type of treatment. I visit America nearly every year, and have always found the differences in customer service are staggering.

In response to some of your comments -

Keith Farrow
"Tyres are not warrantied other than if 'suffering from manufacturing defect'.
The fact that Dunlop make crap tyres is not a defect, they are just crap !"

Surely the TSB (http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B360205g.htm) makes it pretty clear that they are actually defective. Do you think the American dealers would replace all 4 tyres, even if only one has a visible problem?

colejl
"Indeed, 15k miles on the Dunlops is 1k more than I got! Changed to PS2's and I'm 100% happy - hopefully, they'll last more than 20k miles... "

14K!!! Does this include your fronts? If so do you think that was acceptable?

gIzzE
"The tyres on mine were changed at 18k, what sort of life do you expect to get from them?"

I previously owned a 328i, and got 30K out of my fronts and 19K out of my rears, and I must add that I also drove it a lot harder than my 530d. So I find 15K on my fronts to be absolutely unacceptable - this to me proves that the compound is defective.

BMWJIMT
"I am going to change to non-RF soon & will never use Dunlop again as I have no confidence in the product or aftersales support."

Do you not think that BMW have some responsibilty in this issue? Although Dunlop made the tyres, BMW sold you the car - tyres, gearbox and all.

Here is a good analogy - Imagine you bought a DELL PC and it stopped working. DELL inspect it and find the processor is faulty. Can you imagine DELL telling you to contact INTEL yourself? This would just not happen, but this is what BMW UK are doing. They are taking no responsibilty for this issue whatsoever, and people should not be standing for this sort of treatment. Unfortunately a lot of people do accept this treatment, and this is why BMW UK can get away with this sort of scandal.

Thanks again for you contributions.

Ian
Old 03-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

You're clearly not using the 530d's power that much !
Don't think I have ever got more than 12k miles from a set of tyres

Set a record on a rare Peugeot 405 Mi16, absolutely superb balanced handling. But got through (company) tyres every 5-6,000 miles. Can't remember the exact calculation, but it was several pence per mile just for rubber. (Though almost never have any wheelspin as hate this as unprofessional).

Quick Reply: Dunlop run flat problems