Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Depreciation blues

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 04:23 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my car from the dealer when it was 3 months old with just over 350 miles on the clock. It lost ?7k in that period.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

OMG!!! That is a lot of money they took off!!!! The car you bought was brandnew 350 miles is nothing!! Was it a democar of the dealer or somebody traded it in after 350 miles (for example Jeremy Clarkson??)?
Old 07-29-2004, 04:30 AM
Senior Members

First of all you have to take everything said on TG with a grain of salt. The cool wall most times has little to do with the vehicle, but more about their opinions of the moment. Much of it is also about stirring controversy.

As for your trade-in, I'm not so sure it's based on the E60 as much as it is with your dealer or BMW in general when it comes to trades. I was recently looking to trade in my wifes Aug 03 Audi A2 and was offered approximately 60-70% of what the current market value is.

After that, I know how you feel about being insulted, although, I am surprised BMW would value their own product so low.

530E60NL, you can catch the current series of TG on Sunday nights at 9 on BBC2. The series shown on Veronica is older though.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Jul 29 2004, 06:30 AM
530E60NL, you can catch the current series of TG on Sunday nights at 9 on BBC2. The series shown on Veronica is older though.
Didn't know that, Thanks!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 04:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Jul 29 2004, 06:28 AM
OMG!!! That is a lot of money they took off!!!! The car you bought was brandnew 350 miles is nothing!! Was it a democar of the dealer or somebody traded it in after 350 miles (for example Jeremy Clarkson??)?
I believe it was a company car. The owner might have been sacked and only drove it for a very short period or never even drove it.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Jul 29 2004, 06:28 AM
That's what I thought. What a bargain for a "brand new" car. The options e.g. comfort seats don't hold their value well, so that's about ?4k gone already.
I believe it was a company car. The owner might have been sacked and only drove it for a very short period or never even drove it.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:51 AM
Members

I go back to my earlier posts and reckon that 90% of the options you add to a car suffer 90% depreciation as they leave the showroom. If you're looking at depreciation, then you need to focus on a 'base' model. For a BMW my idea of a 'base' model means one with the extras that you really need to have to consider it a bmw. i.e metallic paint, leather, and err.... that's about it.

Second hand buyers tend to take what they are offered in the way of extras, but they won't pay extra for them. The sunroof and cd changer on my car are 'nice to have' items, but I wouldn't have paid an extra ?100 for them!

Also, delaers and punters tend to go by Parkers or Glass's guide books which I believe don't take extras into account.

Depreciation figures in 'What Car' magazine aren't too bad for the E60. 60-61% for all models except..... the 545 SE which only retains 47% ...ouch!

Those 60% figures (if accurate) compare pretty well with most other bmw series.
3-series = 55% average
3-series tourin = 59%
M3 = 63%
5-series touring (old) = 50%
6-series = 46%
7-series = 45%
X5 = 66%

They also have a figure of 78% retained value after 1 year.

Not sure we are so far out of whack when you exclude the extras.

James
Old 07-29-2004, 07:31 AM
Members

Maybe we should just be grateful we don't own Vauxhall Signums -
Retained value after 3 years ..... wait for it ........... 28% !!!! They lose 55% of their value in the first 12 months!
Old 07-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Members

ISUK (AKA RAGDUDE),
Take solace in the fact that your car looks fantastic ( Black with auburn is a great combination ). Just add the sport bumpers and side skirts and think how much you will have saved over swapping to a new 5 series. I think that in another year the depreciation curve will have levelled out to an acceptable level -if not it could be the ultimate cure for car regular car swapping!!
By the way how is your old man getting on with his 7 series?
Mark-Yorkshire
Old 07-29-2004, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

Does anyone have an idea about expected depreciation in the USA? (Sorry to highjack your thread, mate!) I'm trying to decide if I should wait for my yet to be delivered recalled 545 or order an 05.

Quick Reply: Depreciation blues