Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dealers and loaner car

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 530 in for service for a day and they loaned me a 325i. Anyway half an hour after I returned it and drove away, the service lady called me saying that there is a scratch/scrape on the bumper that happened under my care. Now I didn't do any inspections before or after i was given the loaner because I figure it was for a day only ... I didn't park by any curbs and couldn't recall any situations that would've caused the damage (not saying that its impossible that it was me, just unlikely). Anyway now they want me to take care of the repair of it, and with no way of verifying it myself I don't think I have a choice here in the matter.

My question is whether the dealer's service department lie about it? (say, maybe it is previous damage that they're making me pay for?)
Old 02-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by omi7' post='247469' date='Feb 28 2006, 02:33 PM
I had my 530 in for service for a day and they loaned me a 325i. Anyway half an hour after I returned it and drove away, the service lady called me saying that there is a scratch/scrape on the bumper that happened under my care. Now I didn't do any inspections before or after i was given the loaner because I figure it was for a day only ... I didn't park by any curbs and couldn't recall any situations that would've caused the damage (not saying that its impossible that it was me, just unlikely). Anyway now they want me to take care of the repair of it, and with no way of verifying it myself I don't think I have a choice here in the matter.

My question is whether the dealer's service department lie about it? (say, maybe it is previous damage that they're making me pay for?)

Since bmw has free maintenance etc. Thats just a way for the dealer to make money lol
Old 02-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

I realize you did not do an inspection before you drove away, but did you initial anywhere saying there was no damage to the car? If you didn't, have them prove to you that it wasn't there when you picked it up.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Contributors

Not so funny..sorry you learned that hard way. From now one me going to take pictures of any car they lend me. Just in case!
Old 02-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

Since they inspected the car after you left, when you were not present, how do you, or for that matter, how do they know it did not happen after you dropped off the car. They should have inspected the car while you were still there, just like a car rental company does.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by silver530sportwagon' post='247517' date='Feb 28 2006, 06:54 PM
Since they inspected the car after you left, when you were not present, how do you, or for that matter, how do they know it did not happen after you dropped off the car. They should have inspected the car while you were still there, just like a car rental company does.
Exactly, I would tell them that if they expect to hold you responsible now/in the future, then they would have had to/will have to inspect the car before you leave.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Members

Yeah I wasn't careful about the whole thing at all. The service rep did a look around the car before i drove off and noted no damage, but since no pictures are taken her inspection report is the only source of information.

Concerning my driving off before they inspect, again i was careless as I had a meeting soon. So when she said to leave the loaner in the spot and go pick up my car I just went ahead and did that, assuming everything will be taken care of with the same quality and efficiency as the engineering of the car itself. I think she did the inspection after the line of cars in front were moved, and hence there was no movement of the car after I parked it at the service center.

Learning is good, I will take a good look before and after from now on. Still love my car though!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by omi7' post='247528' date='Feb 28 2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah I wasn't careful about the whole thing at all. The service rep did a look around the car before i drove off and noted no damage, but since no pictures are taken her inspection report is the only source of information.

Concerning my driving off before they inspect, again i was careless as I had a meeting soon. So when she said to leave the loaner in the spot and go pick up my car I just went ahead and did that, assuming everything will be taken care of with the same quality and efficiency as the engineering of the car itself. I think she did the inspection after the line of cars in front were moved, and hence there was no movement of the car after I parked it at the service center.

Learning is good, I will take a good look before and after from now on. Still love my car though!
Very simple, get the sales rep invloved. If she noted no damage and there is actually a report (I don't care if there are no pictures), I don't see how they can hold you responsible. It then becomes her word against the word of whoever drove the car after you. Either she was careless in inspecting or the valet/service tech who took the car after you caused the damage. Sounds like they sould be responsible for the damages. IMHO!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Members

Closure: The service rep just called me and apparently the damage came off after a polish so I will not be charged afterall. The world is a beautiful place once again.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm definitely going to be more observant next time.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by omi7' post='247548' date='Feb 28 2006, 07:26 PM
Closure: The service rep just called me and apparently the damage came off after a polish so I will not be charged afterall. The world is a beautiful place once again.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm definitely going to be more observant next time.
Good news! I think we all learned a little lesson from this thread, I know I'll be more careful when taking delivery and dropping off my next loaner...

Quick Reply: Dealers and loaner car