Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dealer service scam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Well today was service day Took the car in for the annual MOT test plus brake fluid and 'vehicle check' as idrive euphamistically calls it!
Couple of hours later I get a call; MOT all ok and passed BUT .....and the conversation went something like this.

SA: 'The 'vehicle check' has thrown up air mass meter fault and glow plugs'. (Yep it is a diesel!).
Me: ?? WTF. (well thats what I was thinking! ) 'Er! right ...and....?'
SA: 'Well you've obviously had problems starting?'
Me: 'No, not at all, starts first time, no problem at all'.
SA: 'Well there must be a problem driving, no?'
Me: 'Nope, it drives fine, pulls extremely well and gives excellent mpg!'
SA: 'Oh...but...' (tails off as I rudely interject!)
Me: 'Exactly which glow plugs?'
SA: 'All of them....and the controller!'
Me: 'Funny that! I had some of the glow plugs replaced under warranty, they cannot have failed already!'
SA: 'Oh! Er!... And the gearbox has an oil leak from the sump'.
Me: 'Right! Now we have an oil leak from the gearbox, all six glow plugs are u/s AND the controller plus the airmass
meter?'
SA: 'Er! I'll get the technician to clear the fault codes.'
Me: 'Thats much more sensible, and if it gives trouble I'll bring it back' (Yeah right!!! )
Me: 'You can fix the oil leak, although I haven't seen it drop any.'
SA: 'I'll call you tomorrow.'

Now I won't even go into the ipod software upgrade they cannot do! It appears that the software cannot be upgraded without the CD changer being installed.
Does anyone here know the facts regarding ipods, the interface and the software?
I had the software upgraded for the CD changer but didn't have a changer installed. They had a senior moment when the bluetooth telephone failed and they didn't realise that the fibre optic has to see a complete circuit in order for certain other units to function. (An extra 24 hours in the shop to sort that one!) So I'm still sans an ipod installation
Old 05-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

Arrow

** Sign
Old 05-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Which dealer was that Daven ?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Members

Talking

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='875916' date='May 12 2009, 09:33 AM
Which dealer was that Daven ?
Sytner!!!
What bothers me though someone else might not have questioned it and just said go ahead and do whatever is 'needed'
Old 05-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Members

Ok! update. Just collected the car and asked the SA about the MAF, glowplugs and controller. They cleared all the latched 'fault msgs' and they never reappeared.
Still had my wallet raped though!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by daven' post='875962' date='May 12 2009, 05:40 AM
Ok! update. Just collected the car and asked the SA about the MAF, glowplugs and controller. They cleared all the latched 'fault msgs' and they never reappeared.
Still had my wallet raped though!
That really irritates me (and everyone else, I am sure). Time for a new dealer. You might want to interview the service mgr and cashiers at another dealer. I always ask about the service writers. My specific question to cashier is: Whom should I avoid?

You can professionally approach new service mgr at another dealership and ask which is the sharpest service writer. No need to go into great detail about prev experience. Take him/her a cup of Starbucks or a couple of tacos. "Will these tacos get me an answer?" That always breaks the ice. Good luck on new dealer (or service writer)!!