Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Deal or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='216003' date='Dec 27 2005, 12:32 PM
Oh, ok, I see now.
What's a CPT 9000 phone? Never heard of it.
Anyway, I don't think this will be a big problem, since I barely use my phone anyway....
Even though I finally got one with bluetooth and it would be nice to have this little gadget in my car... :-)

Thanks!
CPT 9000 is a phone made by Motorola jointly with BMW. It was the phone used in the 3, 5 and 7 series cars prior to the intorduction of BT. It is "hardwired" through a plug as opposed to the BT wireless connection.

I don't know that the phone is even stocked by BMW anymore. You may find one on ebay or for sale by another BMW owner in the classifieds.

BT is great. I drive my car for business and it is nice to have the fully hands free available to you. Somewhat safer than driving holding a phone to your ear while trying to shift a MT.

PS - welcome to the best BMW forum on the net. The knowledge and enthusiasm of the members here is the best.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the warm welcome, I already enjoy the forum and will continue to enjoy it in the future, I hope.
I'm going to talk to my lender today, and hopefully, tomorrow I will be an owner of E60. Wish me luck.
:-)

PS: The car comes with Sirius and CD changer pre-wire.
Here is the description from delaer's website:

ONLY 9930 MILES ONE OWNER. FULLY LOADED WITH SPROT PREMIUM PACKAGES AND POWER FRONT SEATING WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AND POWER GLASS MONROOF, ADAPTIVE LIGHTING, XENON LIGHTS, WHITE TURN SIGNALS, CD CHANGER PREP AS WELL AS SATELLITE RADIO PREP, SHIPPING PACKAGE AND SMOKER'S PACKAGE OPTIONS AND BATTERY SWITCH.

Btw, what is shipping package and battery switch?
Old 12-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

That refers to equipment required for transatlantic shippping. Most of it is disconnected and abandoned by the dealer during PDI. Switches are provided to disconnect the battery from the car electrical system so no drain can occur during the trip over from Germany. Shipping blocks are installed in the springs so that the car rides higher while on the boat (prevents bottoming out on the ship's and delivery truck's ramps).

Let us know how you make out!
Old 12-27-2005, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

Will do!
Shipping blocks? So, shipipng pkg means the car comes with shipping blocks?
Old 12-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='216036' date='Dec 27 2005, 02:34 PM
Will do!
Shipping blocks? So, shipipng pkg means the car comes with shipping blocks?
It was prepared at the factory for shipping including spacers in the spings (shipping blocks). Included are temporary windhsield wipers, application of a liquid shipping wax, and for some models, wrapping in a protective shipping "condom" among other items. All of these items are removed during PDI.

This is different than cars within Germany or other parts of the EU as these cars would normally be trucked to dealers within a few days of production. Remember, it takes a long time to get a car from Germany to the West Coast, four or five weeks on the water and then another couple of weeks to get them to the dealer. That's why the disconnect the batteries.

Here is a link that gives a great description of what happens at the Vehicle Processing center (VPC) prior to delivery to your dealer.

http://www.e90post.com/vpc/index.asp.htm
Old 12-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

You really know your stuff!!! Will my new 550 come in a condom to saskatoon?
Old 12-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='216070' date='Dec 27 2005, 04:34 PM
The 5'ers do not get the condoms, only shipping wax and plastic film that is installed over portions of the body in Halifax after the wax is removed. There are protective cushions installed over exposed portions of the car. It's quite a feat to think that, depsite the large number of cars that get shipped, very few sustain any shipping damage.

On the other hand, when things go wrong, the really can go wrong!!!!

http://www.tricolorsalvage.com/pages/home.asp

The Tricolor was carrying 2,871 or so BMW's, Volvos, Benz's etc. when it went down three years ago. Many of the cars were European Delivery vehicles being redelivered to their owners in the US.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='216077
The 5'ers do not get the condoms, only shipping wax and plastic film that is installed over portions of the body in Halifax after the wax is removed. There are protective cushions installed over exposed portions of the car. It's quite a feat to think that, depsite the large number of cars that get shipped, very few sustain any shipping damage.

On the other hand, when things go wrong, the really can go wrong!!!!

http://www.tricolorsalvage.com/pages/home.asp

The Tricolor was carrying 2,871 or so BMW's, Volvos, Benz's etc. when it went down three years ago. Many of the cars were European Delivery vehicles being redelivered to their owners in the US.
[/quote]

what exactly is shipping wax? And can you tell me if you tracked your order and how long the process was? I test drove a 530xi msport in regina which had both front and rear bumpers trashed from shipping damage! Then the dealer tried to lie to my face and tell me that the new parts would come painted right from Germany. Wow...uh huh suuuuure they will. Once I get a production number will I be able to track the car? I read about all the tools available to US customers, but here in Canada can we track it as well?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='216222' date='Dec 28 2005, 03:18 AM
what exactly is shipping wax? And can you tell me if you tracked your order and how long the process was? I test drove a 530xi msport in regina which had both front and rear bumpers trashed from shipping damage! Then the dealer tried to lie to my face and tell me that the new parts would come painted right from Germany. Wow...uh huh suuuuure they will. Once I get a production number will I be able to track the car? I read about all the tools available to US customers, but here in Canada can we track it as well?
Cars crosing the Atlantic are given a coat of a liquid wax to protect them while they are in the bowels of the ship from the salt in the environment. the stuff is pretty thick and does not provide any protection to the paint once it is stripped (as shown in the pictures in the link I posted).

Some parts do come prepainted. I know for a fact the bumpers are painted here.

We have no way to track the car in Canada through BMW Owner's Circle. The system in the US is not that great however as it is manually updated every few days. There have been many people tell us that Owner's Circle is telling them that their car is awaiting tranpsort and they have it parked in their garage.

Your dealer can get real time information over the net through BMW AG's computer database through your delaer. It can tell you the status for your car at any time in the production process. They need either a production number or the VIN (once it assigned) to get the information. Get the VIN from them as soon as it's available for the reasons below.

Once your car has finished production, you can track the shipping by going to the WW website, selecting auto cargo under the customer service menu and entering the VIN.

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/productsServic...eanServices.jsp

This will tell you on what ship your car has been booked and when it is due in port. After that it sits in Halifax for a few days clearing customs and going through the VPC before it is loaded on a train. You can then track it via CN's website by entering the VIN.

Isn't it easier to find one in stock and take delivery sooner rather than going though this anguish??

If you are slightly impatient (as I am), this process makes you (and most of the people around you) nuts.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='216335
Cars crosing the Atlantic are given a coat of a liquid wax to protect them while they are in the bowels of the ship from the salt in the environment. the stuff is pretty thick and does not provide any protection to the paint once it is stripped (as shown in the pictures in the link I posted).

Some parts do come prepainted. I know for a fact the bumpers are painted here.

We have no way to track the car in Canada through BMW Owner's Circle. The system in the US is not that great however as it is manually updated every few days. There have been many people tell us that Owner's Circle is telling them that their car is awaiting tranpsort and they have it parked in their garage.

Your dealer can get real time information over the net through BMW AG's computer database through your delaer. It can tell you the status for your car at any time in the production process. They need either a production number or the VIN (once it assigned) to get the information. Get the VIN from them as soon as it's available for the reasons below.

Once your car has finished production, you can track the shipping by going to the WW website, selecting auto cargo under the customer service menu and entering the VIN.

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/productsServic...eanServices.jsp

This will tell you on what ship your car has been booked and when it is due in port. After that it sits in Halifax for a few days clearing customs and going through the VPC before it is loaded on a train. You can then track it via CN's website by entering the VIN.

Isn't it easier to find one in stock and take delivery sooner rather than going though this anguish??

If you are slightly impatient (as I am), this process makes you (and most of the people around you) nuts.
[/quote]

well I tried to find one in stock in Canada or an amendable order that someone would give up, but no dice! I'm sorry but I never saw a link to pictures of the cars with liquid wax on them? Also how do you find out which ships are coming when? Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Deal or Not?