Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

dead battery.....part II

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 09:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Now in fairness, I also drive my car every day, so maybe the cord does prevent some component from going into sleep mode, very slowly draining the battery. Not really sure how, but then I don't pretend to understand all the computer hardware/software systems in this car.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Contributors

I keep my charger plugged in (phone not connected) and whenever I open the door in the morning, the car 'wakes up'. Not sure I believe the charger drains or never lets the car sleep. I leave my car in the garage or at the airport for days.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

my charger is always plugged in.....havent had any drain problem yet.... but i can seee if the phone was plugged in that it may drain the battery.... oh yeah wussp nappyjack ... long time no see..... seeeya around the L B C..
Old 06-28-2005, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Jun 27 2005, 09:17 PM
[quote name='zippers525' date='Jun 27 2005, 06:43 PM']The V1 doesn't have it's own battery inside.
[snapback]143613[/snapback]
Yes I understand that, but the initial complaint was about leaving the charger cord plugged in but not the actual phone (with the battery) itself. My point was I don't see how a static power cord plugged could cause a drain. With the phone attached as well, yes. Nappyjack clearly describes the situation as the cord only. Now unless there is something different about his cellphone power cord that causes a steady drain, then that is what I'm trying to understand.
[snapback]143627[/snapback]
[/quote]

A cell phone car charger is not a simple, passive 'cord'. It contains some minor circuitry to regulate the voltage and current draw. This cicuitry is "noticed" by the car's electrical system because it is a 'complete circuit, even when a phone is not connected. I think the Apr '05 Service Measure indicates that it is enough to keep the MPM awake (and drawing down the battery).

Its good that it can be fixed with a CIP upgrade, and demonstrates the advantages (bugs can be fixed with software), and disadvantages (bugs can be created with software) of having computers control so much of our automobiles.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by Magneto' date='Jun 28 2005, 11:27 AM
[quote name='kscarrol' date='Jun 27 2005, 09:17 PM'][quote name='zippers525' date='Jun 27 2005, 06:43 PM']The V1 doesn't have it's own battery inside.
Yes I understand that, but the initial complaint was about leaving the charger cord plugged in but not the actual phone (with the battery) itself. My point was I don't see how a static power cord plugged could cause a drain. With the phone attached as well, yes. Nappyjack clearly describes the situation as the cord only. Now unless there is something different about his cellphone power cord that causes a steady drain, then that is what I'm trying to understand.
[/quote]

A cell phone car charger is not a simple, passive 'cord'. It contains some minor circuitry to regulate the voltage and current draw. This cicuitry is "noticed" by the car's electrical system because it is a 'complete circuit, even when a phone is not connected. I think the Apr '05 Service Measure indicates that it is enough to keep the MPM awake (and drawing down the battery).

Its good that it can be fixed with a CIP upgrade, and demonstrates the advantages (bugs can be fixed with software), and disadvantages (bugs can be created with software) of having computers control so much of our automobiles.
[snapback]143823[/snapback]
[/quote]

That may be true...but the fact is...the cigarette lighter adapters in the e60 are switched outlets with no power going to them when the car is turned off. The TSB also specifically states this is an issue when there is a battery operated device attached to it that may send a backflow of voltage. So, I don't see how an unconnected power cord can do this despite having some circuitry inside, it has no way to send a backflow of voltage. Sounds to me like the dealer doesn't really know and is looking for an easy explanation that blames the customer (wouldn't be the first time we've heard of that one!). My prediction...this poster will again have a dead battery even if he follows the dealer's advice.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

I think certain things prevent the car from going to sleep, ie some chargers might be fine others arnt

The car checks if anything is connected to the powers sockets to see if it can go to sleep, certain types of devices cause a "back voltage" making the car think something is pluged in and needs to stay on, so the car doesnt sleep.

When the car doent sleep certain of its control units ( there are many in the car) keep drawing power, and cause the battery to drain over a while
Old 06-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Jun 28 2005, 01:50 PM
[quote name='Magneto' date='Jun 28 2005, 11:27 AM'][quote name='kscarrol' date='Jun 27 2005, 09:17 PM'][quote name='zippers525' date='Jun 27 2005, 06:43 PM']The V1 doesn't have it's own battery inside.
[/quote]

[snapback]143823[/snapback]
[/quote]

That may be true...but the fact is...the cigarette lighter adapters in the e60 are switched outlets with no power going to them when the car is turned off. The TSB also specifically states this is an issue when there is a battery operated device attached to it that may send a backflow of voltage. So, I don't see how an unconnected power cord can do this despite having some circuitry inside, it has no way to send a backflow of voltage. Sounds to me like the dealer doesn't really know and is looking for an easy explanation that blames the customer (wouldn't be the first time we've heard of that one!). My prediction...this poster will again have a dead battery even if he follows the dealer's advice.
[snapback]143834[/snapback]
[/quote]

I predict you are right! I leave my charger for my Motorola V1 plugged in ALL THE TIME. It's plugged into the front outlet in the passenger footwell. I usually only drive the car on the weekends, so it easily sits for 5 or 6 days with no use. I just looked at the car, and it is definitely asleep, and no green light is lit on the charger - if I open the door, the car will click and make it's noises and wake up!

The last time I had my car in for service, the regional tech told me that it would drain the battery. What a load of BS!! It took me 5 calls back to the dealer to locate my phone charger, as I thought someone had stolen it. It was under the rear bench seat! They had the rear bench seat out to listen for rattles I was compalaining about. Apparently he had tossed my charger in the back with the seat out and then of course he put the seat back in on top of my charger.

Anyways, I personally also think this a major BS story if you ask me - it's a SWITCHED OUTLET! That's it!
Old 06-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60Speed' date='Jun 28 2005, 01:50 PM
I think certain things prevent the car from going to sleep, ie some chargers might be fine others arnt

The car checks if anything is connected to the powers sockets to see if it can go to sleep, certain types of devices cause a "back voltage" making the car think something is pluged in and needs to stay on, so the car doesnt sleep.

When the car doent sleep certain of its control units ( there are many in the car) keep drawing power, and cause the battery to drain over a while
[snapback]143835[/snapback]
A charger without any kind of battery powered device on it can not send a back charge to anything. You need power to send a back charge. A charger without a phone attached to it can not magically make power to send back through the car. Sorry, just thought i'd point that out.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by E60Speed' date='Jun 28 2005, 11:50 AM

[snapback]143835[/snapback]
The car has no way to check if something is connected to the cigarette lighter outlets. Please don't state this as a fact if you are just speculating. Take it apart and see for yourself if you like (I have)...no sensor exists on the outlets, just a postive and negative lead which are OFF when the car is off. In fact the TSB clearly states the issue is with back voltage from a battery device being left plugged in.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Green-Crayon' date='Jun 28 2005, 12:22 PM
I keep my charger plugged in (phone not connected) and whenever I open the door in the morning, the car 'wakes up'.? Not sure I believe the charger drains or never lets the car sleep.? I leave my car in the garage or at the airport for days.
[snapback]143804[/snapback]
I also leave my V3 car charger in the lighter socket too, no problem up today. I only drive the car 3 days a week. The other 4 days, it is sitting on the driveway.

Quick Reply: dead battery.....part II