Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

dead battery.....part II

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray

i posted last friday after finding my car dead in the garage...(was not used for 4 days....05 545...3 months old...) BMW assist came to jump the car...YES and it made a bunch of lights stay on on the dash...active steering and seatblet and airbag....active steering went away.....
took the car in this AM to dealer...they called and said it was ready....

he claims that it's my CELL PHONE CHARGER....that i leave plugged into the charger in the back seat...(the phone is not plugged in when i leave the car AND the light on the charger is not on...) but he "claims" that by leaving it plugged it does not allow the car to "go to sleep" ....it sounds "logical" but i am SOOO skeptical that the charger was the scapegoat.......anyone have this issue...
Old 06-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

There is actually a Service Measure out on it, Dated April 2005

Here it is

Subject

Dead Battery caused by MPM

Complaint

The vehicle had a dead battery.
When carrying out energy diagnostics, the MPM (Micro power module) was identified as a possible cause.

Vehicles affected: E60/E61 (5 Series), E63/E64 (6 Series) produced up to September 2005.

Cause

Accessory plugged into the cigar lighter / power supply causes a back-feed of voltage into the vehicle electrical system when the ignition is switched off. This causes the MPM to stay awake, and the vehicle battery to discharge.

Measure

In case of customer complaint, verify that the customer uses the power supply for an accessory with an internal battery (cell phone with charger, MP3 player, radio equipment etc.) and that he leaves the accessory plugged in when the car is switched off.

Do not replace the MPM.

As a short-term fix, ask that the customer does not leave the accessory plugged in when the car is switched off. A programming solution is being developed and will be included in a future CIP version.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by nappyjack' date='Jun 27 2005, 04:55 PM
i posted last friday after finding my car dead in the garage...(was not used for 4 days....05 545...3 months old...)? BMW assist came to jump the car...YES and it made a bunch of lights stay on on the dash...active steering and seatblet and airbag....active steering went away.....
took the car in this AM? to dealer...they called and said it was ready....

he claims that it's my CELL PHONE CHARGER....that i leave plugged into the charger in the back seat...(the phone is not plugged in when i leave the car AND the light on the charger is not on...) but he "claims" that by leaving it plugged it does not allow the car to "go to sleep" ....it sounds "logical" but i am SOOO skeptical that the charger was the scapegoat.......anyone have this issue...
[snapback]143573[/snapback]

I've had it happen in my last two cars - the green charger light stayed lit when the car was off. Did it too often and whammo - dead battery. I don't leave chargers plugged in anymore.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

Does'nt make that much sense, a little phone plug causes that much trouble. I pluged my phone in my other vehicles and left them on plus having aftermarket alarms and still not killing the battery for days.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Originally Posted by jta00r1' date='Jun 27 2005, 07:27 PM
Does'nt make that much sense, a little phone plug causes that much trouble. I pluged my phone in my other vehicles and left them on plus having aftermarket alarms and still not killing the battery for days.?
[snapback]143605[/snapback]
They didnt have the sophisticated BUS SYSTEMS that the new BMW's have

Its amazing how many computers are in the car, and how they talk to each other

But if they dont go to "sleep" they drain the battery
Old 06-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: on order:06 530xi orient blue, gray leather, premium package, cold weather package, HUD, steptronic, shades, PDC, active cruise, heated rear seats, split rear seats, illuminated sills, wood/leather selector

My wife leaves her Nextel charger plugged in to the front receptacle all the time on her 03 X5, no problems to date.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by E60Speed' date='Jun 27 2005, 06:31 PM
[quote name='jta00r1' date='Jun 27 2005, 07:27 PM']Does'nt make that much sense, a little phone plug causes that much trouble. I pluged my phone in my other vehicles and left them on plus having aftermarket alarms and still not killing the battery for days.?
[snapback]143605[/snapback]
They didnt have the sophisticated BUS SYSTEMS that the new BMW's have

Its amazing how many computers are in the car, and how they talk to each other

But if they dont go to "sleep" they drain the battery
[snapback]143607[/snapback]
[/quote]

I assume this means the device needs to be plugged in as well, not just the power cord. I always leave my V1 power cord plugged in but take the device out and have never had an issue with the battery.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Senior Members

The V1 doesn't have it's own battery inside.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Jun 27 2005, 06:43 PM
The V1 doesn't have it's own battery inside.
[snapback]143613[/snapback]
Yes I understand that, but the initial complaint was about leaving the charger cord plugged in but not the actual phone (with the battery) itself. My point was I don't see how a static power cord plugged could cause a drain. With the phone attached as well, yes. Nappyjack clearly describes the situation as the cord only. Now unless there is something different about his cellphone power cord that causes a steady drain, then that is what I'm trying to understand.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray

kscarrol you understood correct......i NEVER leave the actual phone plugged in....when i leave the car, JUST the phone charger......you are correct in your confusion just as i am......i just don't understand how/why leaving a phone charger plugged into the outlet WITHOUT the phone plugged in is causing my car to "stay awake"......there is no power being drawn from the charger.......

i'm sure MANY of you leave a phone charger plugged into the outlet at all times (overnite, while parked at work etc)........

Quick Reply: dead battery.....part II