Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

A couple of questions before I pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they will give you the latest s/w which works for your car when it is in for service.
they are obliged to give you the latest when an internal bulletin is published.

on the other hand, i have a feeling that the dealer is somewhat hesitant to do it, cause each time when they upload s/w there might exist unknown outcome.
took them 3 days to do mine last time cause they cannot get bmw assist to work.

either because of its complexity or the existance of bugs, which explains some s/w update takes significantly longer than others.

the rule of 'if it does not cause a problem don't fix it' applies.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Members

My Ride: Currently a 2000 540i 6spd

I just got back from a test drive and on the door sill it said it was a June/04 production date. Is this far enough along to guarantee bluetooth?

My salesman was trying to tell me no BMW's have bluetooth... and then went on saying CDMA and bluetooth don't work together. (Which confirmed my suspicion he has no idea what he's talking about). Is there a way to find out the software version within the car itself through iDrive?
Old 02-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Members

Do Canadian's get Active Roll Stabilization? I cannot find it anywhere on bmw.ca's site.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by dean' date='Feb 20 2005, 09:24 PM
I just got back from a test drive and on the door sill it said it was a June/04 production date.? Is this far enough along to guarantee bluetooth?

My salesman was trying to tell me no BMW's have bluetooth... and then went on saying CDMA and bluetooth don't work together.? (Which confirmed my suspicion he has no idea what he's talking about).? Is there a way to find out the software version within the car itself through iDrive?
[snapback]92637[/snapback]
Dean, the salesman was correct in so far as if your Cell phone service is with Bell,
Bell is on CDMA service and they do not have any Bluetooth enabled phones.

You would have to switch to Rogers/Fido or perhaps Telus.

Then of course the 545I would also have to support Bluetooth and from what I hear late July/August 2004 production cars started to have bluetooth.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gabman' date='Feb 20 2005, 07:38 PM
Dean, the salesman was correct in so far as if your Cell phone service is with Bell,
Bell is on CDMA service and they do not have any Bluetooth enabled? phones.

Then of course the 545I would also have to support Bluetooth and from what I hear late July/August 2004 production cars started to have bluetooth.
[snapback]92647[/snapback]
I'm willing to change carriers.. no problems there.

He had no idea what cell phone I had as I didn't say. The point he was trying to get across was that bluetooth couldn't work on CDMA...
Old 02-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by dean' date='Feb 20 2005, 10:15 PM
[quote name='gabman' date='Feb 20 2005, 07:38 PM']Dean, the salesman was correct in so far as if your Cell phone service is with Bell,
Bell is on CDMA service and they do not have any Bluetooth enabled? phones.

[snapback]92647[/snapback]
I'm willing to change carriers.. no problems there.

He had no idea what cell phone I had as I didn't say. The point he was trying to get across was that bluetooth couldn't work on CDMA...
[snapback]92663[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have also heard that Bluetooth does not work on CDMA although I have read about a couple of CDMA Cell Phones that have Bluetooth? From what I am reading on this forum about bluetooth it would seem that the cell phone must have a smart card and CDMA phones do not have smart cards. So if anyone out there in the know can confirm that Cell Phones using CDMA technology are Bluetooth compatible, would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Senior Members

bluetooth and CDMA are two different technologies.

www.bluetooth.com

so far only GSM (fido/rogers) phones have bluetooth capabilities. i think this is because over whelming cell phones in the world are GSM, or GSM has the rights with bluetooth, either way this is going to change.
though very limited, bluetooth enabled CDMA phones will be coming to the market, but be aware that they are very limited.
under BT, the idea is as long as they are paired it should work. on the other hand since BMW did not test ( or will not test in the future) CDMA / BT phones, there is a chance it will not work or cannot function as fluidly as GSM BT phones.

unfortunately mobile wireless communication technology is very far advanced in europe and asia than here in north america.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dean' date='Feb 20 2005, 07:35 PM
Do Canadian's get Active Roll Stabilization?? I cannot find it anywhere on bmw.ca's site.
[snapback]92642[/snapback]
To answer my own question, it would appear that ARS is renamed to Dynamic Drive in Canada.

Correct?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Members

I'd just like to thank everyone here again for all the help!
Old 02-21-2005, 02:40 AM
Senior Members

There is nothing inherently incompatible between CDMA and bluetooth.

CDMA takes more battery power than GSM and bluetooth also takes extra battery power. This is the only "obstacle"

Given that Telus has the v710, there is no problem with BMW bluetooth. I use a CDMA phone with bluetooth.

Quick Reply: A couple of questions before I pull the trigger