Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Collected UK 530D today - pics and review!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stuart

The combination of the alu II trim and auburn looks good to my eyes, in fact it generally looks like a good quality premium motor!

I'm hoping that you can help me out!! I've been planning my spec for months, often with advise from this board (like not getting the spolier - thanks 530d-London) but I still haven't landed the interior. Exterior colour is defo silver grey and currently I'm settled on black dakota leather. But, I'm secretly harbouring a suspicision that auburn would look fantastic with silver grey.

Now - I need a balanced opinion, I'm ordering tomorrow, in the flesh what is the hue of the auburn, eg brownish, redish, orange, light, dark medium etc. I've not seen this in the flesh myself and would quite like to get away from boring black.

jonboy
Old 04-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Senior Members

jonboy, the auburn interior looks really brownish to me when seeying it in the flesh whilst in most pictures it looks more orange. To be honest I liked it a lot more when seeying pictures than when seeying it in the flesh. I was also strugeling with the same dilemma: getting boring black or something more special but I finally ordered black because I didn't like the auburn in the flesh that much and it will also leave some parts of the interior black which I really disliked (back of front seats, the doorhandles, etc).

If I can make one suggestion, don't order it until you have seen it in the flesh yourself otherwise you might end up with something that you do not like.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:56 AM
Senior Members

jonboy - have a look at truffle brown as well, definitely underrated imo (although I went for 'boring' black too). The beauty of Silver Grey is that it will take almost any available interior colour and still look the dog's.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:40 AM
Senior Members

johan - thanks for the advise, pictures can be quite misleading - problem is seeing one in the flesh is proving difficult. My dealer only seems to have the regular colours.

browellm - i did consider truffle, nice because the carpets are also brown, but when i mentioned this to my dealer he fell off his chair, he didn't seem to think that brown and silver grey would go. I think it may be more to do with re-sale, since anything off the beaten track is likely to put people off.

i'll probably go against the grain and get black - I hate the beaten track!!

jonboy
Old 04-09-2004, 04:08 AM
stu
Members

Hi jonboy.
on a different subject - ( if you are using your own funds to buy the car !) I believe a 6% discount is attainable ( so long as you don't order a basic car) .

I agree with the other comments above - a different trim may make the car hard to sell in the future. Black is best . You absolutely must see the combination you envisage buying in the flesh!
I love the Auburn though ! ( It's the only colour where the doors get the leather in a different colout to the trim , I liked the effect ) .

PS 124 style wheels are worth every penny!
Old 04-09-2004, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

jonboy - stuff the dealer, the car in the brochure is silver grey with beige (which is too yellow imo) interior so, how much more different can it be? Agree with stu though, search out your colour combos before taking the plunge, even it means a 50 mile drive.

stu - I think Ameythyst grey leather gives you contrast with the trim as well.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stu' date='Apr 1 2004, 10:21 PM
I think the 18 inch wheels help the handling The ride is superb even with the run flats ( don't believe everything you read !)- though I got far less than the expected 40mpg on the miles so far!!! May be it will improve with a few miles under her belt when run in!
Stu - don't forget that the book mpg for the auto is 36mpg combined. I'm getting around 30-31 at the moment.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

stu

i'm trading in an e46 m3 and plan on using bmw finance. i'll push for a 10% discount but am not expecting much! when it comes to negotiating for new cars i'm like a kid in a sweet shop!!

jonboy
Old 04-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

Careful jonboy, or you could get stiffed twice - once on the trade in value the dealer will give you on the M3, and once on the rubbish APR that BMW finance offer.

You may get a notional 10% off the 5, but they'll try and claw it back via the other two routes.

btw, OT: While I was getting my car, I played with the others in the showroom - sat in an M3 CSL. Thought it was complete cack! Much rather have a normal M3 + ?20k to play with.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

But you didn't drive the CSL, did you?

My impression is that the M3 CSL is BMW in a nutshell - Freude am Fahren!

-paasan

Quick Reply: Collected UK 530D today - pics and review!