Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Collected UK 530D today - pics and review!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stu, Congratulations !!!!!!! What a beautil ride. But then I'm kinda partial to the black.
Have fun
PB
Old 04-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six
Talking

Nice details the leather color and the aluminium aplications.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:02 AM
stu
Members

Hi Everyone,
Mark , Thanks for the post . Don?t be too hard on youself ? there is always something else in life you want ? better to focus on the things you do have ? a fabulous car ! The cloth seats are sometimes less ?sweaty ? in the Summer too.

Thanks for all the other comments! For those that asked - it?s Titanium II trim and Sapphire Black outside.
I had expected a few negative observations about the Auburn!
It?s really not as orange as it looks in the photos! ?
I?m finding the seats hard to adjust ? partly because the smaller sport wheel obscures the top of the Speedo and rev counter ? and the electric motors are a bit fast making fine adjustments difficult.

The radio part of the I drive is not very intuitive ? I couldn?t store stations without getting the book out.
I would have loved either of the Nav options and will be watching closely over the next year to see if it?s possible to retro fit Nav or BT ! ( not holding my breath though !)
The gearbox shifts very smoothly ? but in manual mode ? still does it?s own thing ? eg put it in M6 and it soon shifts itself back to M4 ? why?
PS Still only getting 31mpg running it in !
Attached Thumbnails Collected UK 530D today - pics and review!-cayman_032.jpg  
Old 04-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Members

Great car Stu, can you tell us if your climate control fan is controlled automatically or if you have to adjust it manually even if auto is on.

Cars up to now have all had the manual fan but one forum member has reported getting it upgraded so it works automatically so just wondering if your new build is auto.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six
Talking

" The gearbox shifts very smoothly ? but in manual mode ? still does it?s own thing ? eg put it in M6 and it soon shifts itself back to M4 ? why?"

Stu,

When you use the gearbox in the manual mode and if you drive the car at a low speed and revs in 6th gear, the gear box will check if the revs are to low for the car to increase speed/revs without compromising the mechanic.

If you that you can notice that the gear box automatically changes down for the 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, the gear that it's right for speed/revs at the moment.

You can try:
put it on manual mode and then when you are in 6th at 80 Km/h and you breake almost to stop (20 Km/h). Acelarate again, you will check that the car isn't any more in 6th gear but in 2nd or 3rd.

That's the way it works, it's not a fully manual mode.
The car is always checking what you do to avoid damage in the transmission/engine.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:44 AM
Guest_guest

Hi Im Stuarts girlfriend

Just wanted to set everyone straight!!! I think you guys are soo over enthusiastic that youre all telling each other everything is dandy!! Firstly the car from the outside is much better than i expected. In black it looks great. The inside interior in auburn is very orange especially in sunight- would definately go for another colour interior. The radio gadgets etc do work well- better than i expected. Whilst driving the car it is difficult sometimes to see around bends as the A pillar is huge. Although the side mirrors have no blind spots. The 124 wheels look great from the outside but the run flat tyres feel like youre riding on flat tyres. The boot etc is very spacious and great for families. All together it is a great car but be careful if you have a short wife as the dash board is huge. Also lumbar support is a bit odd at first and not adjustable if you are short. Im 5ft 9 and just about feel comfortable. Also not a car for driving around city centres as it is extremely difficult to find a space to park!!! Hope this doesnt sound like im moaning!!
sarah
Old 04-04-2004, 04:55 AM
Senior Members

Go Girlfriend! Actually, I think it's excellent to get a bit of balance to all this testosterone flying around! Keep us updated on your thoughts on the car.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:48 AM
Guest_eggz

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the closeup pic of the dash. I've ordered titanium II on my E60 as well...looks great so no regrets....

So, what does Sarah think of titanium II vs wood trim?

eggz
Old 04-05-2004, 01:29 AM
Senior Members

Stu,

That car looks strangely familiar - I had to go outside to check and see that mine was still there Still they do say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Enjoy!
Old 04-05-2004, 04:12 AM

ISUK - Yep!! , the photos of yours (on another forum) really made a big impact on me. I had no doubt that this was the best looking combination - I'm delighted with it . I probably would have bought a Cayenne V6 if it was not for those pics! ( Glad I have the 530 now)
Mind you - had to forgo some essentials ( such as a 6 disc changer !!!) to afford those 124 style wheels.

Browellm - have you collected yours yet?

Back to BMW - you will get straight pipes ( and an EU4 compliant engine) Mine was a privete purchase - no tax savings - and I couldn't really afford the extra ?900 for the EU 4 engine. )
Garry F - yes disappointingly , the auto control on the air con seems to do bugger all! Fan is entirely manual - and I'm suspicious that the air distribution is entirely manual too.

Tuga - I still seem to get "unecessary" changes in the ordinary driving range when in M mode - does anyone actually bother with manual mode ? Please tell me more....

Quick Reply: Collected UK 530D today - pics and review!