Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Collected my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E60_530D,

I didn't bother with adaptive headlights as I believe that the bi-xenons offer more than enough lighting power. I ordered my car on the 20th August and it was delivered to my dealer on the predicted date of 22nd October. As for tyre noise from the rear I have to say that it isn't an issue with the 18" alloys. i used to have the same thoughts as you about auto boxes but after having had steptronic on my X5 I wouldn't be without it now as it makes driving so effortless particularly when stuck in traffic congestion.

My spec is: -

Auburn Dakota leather
Automatic gearbox
Star spoke style 124 18" alloys
Auto dim int & ext folding mirrors
Auto air con
BMW Hi-Fi speaker system
Bi-xenon lights
6 disc CD
Extended interior light package
Grad tint windscreen
Heated front seats
Sports seats (electric)
Sport suspension
Sport steering wheel
Bluetooth phone prep
Business navigation system

SPEUK,

Thanks for the info on the software glitch. I had noticed that the car was inching forward a bit when coming to a stop. I thought it was just the tightness of the new drivetrain. I'll monitor it to see if it goes away ask my dealer to keep me posted on the fix.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:31 AM
Members

ISUK,

That was a brave order before launch, so you hadn't driven one before you ordered it. Did you get a preview at the end of August as I did ?

My spec is very similar except

Mystic Blue
Grey Dakota
Universal Remote
Poplar Wood
Through Load
Adaptive H-lamps
Logic 7
Comfort Seats

Didnt order
Auto
Sat Nav

Otherwise all the same

I try and avoid congestion, hence the emphasis on headlights. Is BMW sat-nav really good, Jeremy Clarkson gives it a good slagging off in Top Gear magazine this month. I normally use the train if I go to London, and spend the rest of my time travelling very early or late to places I know really well. I really enjoy a cross country drive to my office through the Cotswold every couple of weeks, hence the desire to stick with a manual. I probably would have ordered the professional sat-nav should it have been available, but still doubt I would have had my monies worth for the type of driving I do.

Why the change from the X5 ?
Old 10-27-2003, 08:13 AM
Members

Hey ISUK

I thought that was you on roadfly. You previous post was almost the same as the one you put here so I guessed their had to be a connection. I post on roadfly occasionaly as Shonuff . I have an alter ego

Not to worry about our cars ever meeting because I live in the US. To be a little more specific I live in New York. Hold on a minute I am still upset over the Yankees . I have considered several exterior colors but I am pretty sure I want the auburn interior. Is it more Brown or Orange? Needless to say I like it but I am waiting for the 535i witch will not be here for at least another year. That will give me a little time to decide. Has anyone seen the Ovilin green with the auburn interrior? Happy Motoring
Old 10-27-2003, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

E60_530D,

Q. Why change from X5 to E60? A. Gordon Brown!!

I did order the car before launch but was confident that everything would be ok. I had seen lots of pictures on the internet coupled with some road test movie clips. At first I thought the car looked awful but over a period of time it steadily grew on me. I got rid of the X5 back in February before the April tax changes kicked in and replaced it with an Audi A4 cabriolet. I chose this car on the basis of it's looks but was seriously disappointed by it's handling (or rather lack of it) so I quickly sold it on. When I then looked for a suitable alternative I came back to BMW. I briefly toyed with the idea of another X5 but long waiting lists, the prospect of the facelift for this model and the silly tax bill put me off. I considered the E63 6 series but would have wanted a 630i and my dealer couldn't tell me when that model would be launched. From there it was a relatively simple decision to go for the E60 530d.

I did get a dealer preview of the E60 at the end of August and the car on display was in sapphire black which helped me make up my mind on my colour choice.

If you thought that decision was brave I ordered my Z4 14 months before launch when I had only seen photos of heavily disguised prototypes. The first time I drove it was when I went to pick it up!

As to the satnav I can't fault it. It has picked up some very small villages that are local to me and guided me there without a hiccup. I nearly didn't bother with this option but changed my mind at the 11th hour and am very glad I did so. Maybe Clarkson doesn't like it because it doesn't have enough pictures on it for him!
Old 10-27-2003, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

reckamech,

The auburn interior is more like a burnt saddle tan colour if that makes any sense to you? In strong sunlight it looks like a dark orange. I have seen the Olivin green on a dealer demo car and cannot imagine that it would look good with the auburn interior. IMHO this combination would be a BIG no no.

I would only recommend auburn with either titanium silver, silver grey, solid black, or sapphire black. At a push it may go with titanium grey but this colour has a strong hint of green in it in direct sunlight which may not look too good against the auburn.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:39 AM
Members

ISUK,

Ah, our old mate Gordon Brown. For years I have run my own relatively small business, and have felt that I could not justify an M3 or M5, which I have wanted for most of my adult life. At long last I decided I could justify buying one, even tested one back to back with the 530D, but Mr.Brown has decided that I can't have one, as the tax situation starts to make you feel like a financial maniac. In reality because of his other money spinner the "Safety Camera", my license is probably better off without one, but I do feel cheated. Like you I have wised up to the fact that it will only get worse, I can see the 35% max limit rising in the not too distant future, and where to then.

They won't be happy until we all have electric Lupos limited to 30mph and controlled by satellite, and as for company cars, well our children will be asking "what were company cars ?". But when they have all gone where will the money come from then. (electricity tax ?)

Enjoy your torque while you can, at this tax busting rate !!
Old 11-06-2004, 04:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SPEUK' date='Oct 27 2003, 03:43 PM
Congrats on the new motor, I have had mine since the UK launch on Sept 18th and I am still highly delighted with the diesel. If you have not seen my post under problems encountered then you may find that the change down from 2nd gear to first is as BMW GB put it "rough". This is only noticeable as you bring the car to a standstill and the auto box makes its final change down. BMW are working on a software fix which they have promised by December.

Re timing from build to delivery my 530d was built in the first week of September and delivered to me on the 18th, my dealer did put some pressure on Thorne to get the PDI done. The car was still at the GB distribution centre on the morning of the 18th and delivered to me via my dealer by 3.00pm the same day!! Cars built after Sept 1st also have door handles matching interior trim... poplar/ maple etc.

Happy motoring
[snapback]1268[/snapback]
I have just taken delivery of a new 525d with Bi-Xeons and adaptive headlight - but I have noticed that the Xeons are only on in dipped beam (outer lights) when I put the full beam on the inner lights switch on (which are normal halogen). The Xeon dont seem to get any brigher. Is this normal ?

Thanks
Jay