Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Checking out a used 545i, few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm going to check out a certified 05 545i manual with 13k miles this weekend. I do not have any experience buying used cars. Do you have any suggestions for what to look out for, during the visual and driving inspection? The car has most of the options I want except for the sports package. I know that's a big one to not have but finding a used manual is not that easy. From my understanding the sports package has sport seats, suspension, wheels and steering wheel. The salesman said that it has 20-way comfort seats, is that the same as sport seats? I don't mind missing out on the suspension and wheels because I was planning to modify that anyways. Is there anything else I'm missing with the sports package? The asking price is 56k and he said that there is some room to wiggle so I'm thinking the certified edmunds price of 53k is fair.

Any thoughts and/or advice? Thanks much.

Scott
Old 03-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by sshu930' post='249373' date='Mar 3 2006, 11:50 AM
Hey guys, I'm going to check out a certified 05 545i manual with 13k miles this weekend. I do not have any experience buying used cars. Do you have any suggestions for what to look out for, during the visual and driving inspection? The car has most of the options I want except for the sports package. I know that's a big one to not have but finding a used manual is not that easy. From my understanding the sports package has sport seats, suspension, wheels and steering wheel. The salesman said that it has 20-way comfort seats, is that the same as sport seats? I don't mind missing out on the suspension and wheels because I was planning to modify that anyways. Is there anything else I'm missing with the sports package? The asking price is 56k and he said that there is some room to wiggle so I'm thinking the certified edmunds price of 53k is fair.

Scott
To get a 545i without the sports package, IMO is a bad call. The sport package is active roll (big item) possibly active steering (another good option), larger brakes as well as the staggered 124 rims.

Look on the internet and you will find what you are looking for. You may have to drive a bit as you are right about finding a manual, but I would not get one without the sports package.

Other than that, a factory certified is definately the way to go on this car. You are covered up to 100k or x years (forget which) and that is a great thing.

As long as the car has not been abused from interior or paint, you are in good shape with the warrenty. Really, a dealer will not sell a factory certified car that is not in good order (i.e. if it has been significantly crashed).
Old 03-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by sshu930' post='249373' date='Mar 3 2006, 02:50 PM

Scott

Hi Scott and Welcome. First, I think the price is high, maybe VERY high. However, sticks are scarce, even though it is not the sports package. When I was shopping online, a dealer on Long Island had a new 05, 6 speed (but not sports pkg) on the floor and his opening bid on eBay was $53K. He didn't get any bids, and I called him and he told me he had a deal going on it (read: for less). This was last October. So, figure from there.

If you could get him down to the $50ish neighbohood, that would be more reasonable; the certification extended 100K warranty is probably worth about $2300--about the value of the sports package used. He is NOT going to have an easy time of selling a stick without the sports package, so you may just want to wait and see.

Should you get it, and invest in high performance wheels and tires, I would suggest that they should get you probabaly 70 percent of what the sports package offers in terms of handling. You avoid the Active steering and suspension. But my experience with German cars indicates that tires and wheels will do a LOT for it. Heck , the first MB (CLK?) coupe that had a sports treatment to it, consisted of ONLY sport tires and wheels, and I couldn't believe the difference it made. So, if you are just a normal commute driver and not a track star, you'll be fine. In fact, just high performance tires should make a 60% difference. The improtant part is still right there under your right foot.

Good luck,
Ray Hull
Old 03-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

The comfort seats are better than the sports seats IMO--at least they are a pricey option beyond the sport-package level. If you like the car, then I would not hesitate to get it because it doesn't have the sport package. And, as you say, manuals are not all that easy to find. I would get a BMW dealer to read the car's key and get info about its repair history and whatever else is shown.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

im sure that comfort seats are way better than sports seats....they are desgined to provide the same grip the sport seats have and them impove it by providing comfort...i think the only thing that may be kinda sad is the sport steering wheel which i think is much better than the regular one...and the suspension, well i have recently riden in a non-sports pack 540 and i think that the ride is so so much quiter and softer, than the sports pack and the steering is also much lighter......i think its gonna be a really nice car as long as u like the color...seems like a nice car, but im not so sure about the price
Old 03-04-2006, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

Originally Posted by madoon' post='249639' date='Mar 4 2006, 05:07 AM
im sure that comfort seats are way better than sports seats....they are desgined to provide the same grip the sport seats have and them impove it by providing comfort...i think the only thing that may be kinda sad is the sport steering wheel which i think is much better than the regular one...and the suspension, well i have recently riden in a non-sports pack 540 and i think that the ride is so so much quiter and softer, than the sports pack and the steering is also much lighter......i think its gonna be a really nice car as long as u like the color...seems like a nice car, but im not so sure about the price
In 2005/06 the sport pckg did not feature a different steering wheel, the 3 spoke 'sport' wheel was only standard on SMG equipped cars, so basically what you missing is:
1. Black shadow trim
2. Active steering (was a part of the sports pckg on '05)
3. Active roll thing
4. 18" 124 Wheels

the comfort seats are better (and more comfortable...) than the sport seats though and became part of the sports pckg since MY '07.

GL!
Old 03-04-2006, 06:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

The sports pkge is critically important. My suggestion would be to check out the BMWUSA website for CPOs w/ your requirements. You will see all that's in your area for on-site comparisons plus get a good idea of the price range for the vehicle you are interested in.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

A manual 545i without the sport package is a very wierd combination of options. I wouldn't buy it. It's like having the face of cindy crawford and the body of rosanne barr.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

In 04 at least in the us, manual always came with sport. I say $53K sounds high.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='249742' date='Mar 4 2006, 10:35 AM
A manual 545i without the sport package is a very wierd combination of options. I wouldn't buy it. It's like having the face of cindy crawford and the body of rosanne barr.

Manual with no sport is VERY weird. Person probably turned it in once he discovered his error. Even if you get a decent price ($53K still seems to high for this combo), you are going to be very sorry when you try to resell it as the market for this combination has to be very limited.

Quick Reply: Checking out a used 545i, few questions...