Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

CHANGING SUSPENSION AND WARRANTY

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Hello All,

I just slapped on some 20s on my car today and the M-tech kit. Almost done! (pics to come soon!)

On Monday I am planning to get H & R sport springs installed.

Couple of questions before I do?

1) Does changing the suspension void the factory warranty. I have three years left and after I install the H & R I wanted to go to BMW dealership to have them just check out if my car was treated well during installation. God knows I don't want them to see the aftermarket installation and say... warranty void!

2) I searched this but couldn't find a good answer. I am just planning to get the Springs installed, but I see people on the forum recommend Koni shocks as well? Is that really necessary and make a big difference?

Thanks everyone!

-james
Old 06-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Couple of questions before I do?
1) Yes...Good-Bye suspension warranty whether it's springs or coilovers! Do NOT take it to the dealership afterwards to show them what you did! Once it's on record with BMW, that's it! But if something goes wrong without their knowing about it, you can have the old springs put back on prior to taking it in to the dealership....then warranty will still exists, assuming they can't tell it's been messed with.

2) No and Yes...coilovers (the full shock, springs, etc.) make for a better, adjustable ride, whereas springs alone with OEM struts will cause a more harsh, slightly bumpier ride. The OEM strut/AFTER-Market springs weren't really meant to work together as a unit, therefore causing some "bounce" to exist as well.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

hmm.. what if it were only the springs?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: alpinewhite's ride

Doc is right about warranty. However, if you do change it, the ride changes significantly. Handling is much better and more fun.

You got to pay to play
Old 06-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='592854' date='Jun 1 2008, 09:15 AM
1) Yes...Good Bye suspension warranty whether it's springs or coilovers! Do NOT take it to the dealership afterwards to show them what you did! Once it's on record with BMW, that's it! But if something goes wrong without their knowing about it, you can have the old springs put back on prior to taking it in to the dealership....then warranty will still exists, assuming they can't tell it's been messed with.

2) No and Yes...coilovers (the full shock, springs, etc.) make for a better, adjustable ride, whereas springs alone with OEM struts will cause a more harsh, slightly bumpier ride. The OEM strut/AFTER-Market springs weren't really meant to work together as a unit, therefore causing some "bounce" to exist as well.
thanks for the good advice.

now i am really thinking about doing the suspension. maybe i will just let it be until the warranty expires.

Last thing I want is something to wrong with the suspension and have to pay out of pocket to fix it.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by bmwpwr' post='592900' date='Jun 1 2008, 12:45 PM
thanks for the good advice.

now i am really thinking about doing the suspension. maybe i will just let it be until the warranty expires.

Last thing I want is something to wrong with the suspension and have to pay out of pocket to fix it.
Do you have BMW sport or non-sport suspension?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='592903' date='Jun 1 2008, 10:50 AM
Do you have BMW sport or non-sport suspension?

06 non-sport 530i.

does that matter>
Old 06-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

members vegastrashed, alpinewhite, imsort0fabigdeal, r1racer have ran with H&R sports springs only with stock shocks, as a few others have as well. +1 the ride will change significantly, but i guess is depends on personal opinion on how the ride is.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='592920' date='Jun 1 2008, 11:31 AM
members vegastrashed, alpinewhite, imsort0fabigdeal, r1racer have ran with H&R sports springs only with stock shocks, as a few others have as well. +1 the ride will change significantly, but i guess is depends on personal opinion on how the ride is.
the ride will change significantly in a good way or bumpy way?
Old 06-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

honestly i cant comment on H&R sports, but with my eibachs and stock shocks the ride is not bumpy at all.

Quick Reply: CHANGING SUSPENSION AND WARRANTY