Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Buy used M5 or keep 535d and chip it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 04:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Went to a friends party yesterday and a guy turns up in his stunning recently purchased 64k Intergalagos Blue M5 with all the toys. He took me for a blast and let me drive back. If you've never been in one all I can say is its a fantastic car , if you have then you know how good it is.

I can get a used model for around 64k similar to the one I drove and have my wifes backing, however I'm not in a position to just simply write out a cheque, I would need to part chop my 1yr old 12,000 mile 535d sport, which I believe is worth about 35k as a part chop (it was a few months ago when I enquired after an M5) then I would need to put down about 20k cash and have the balance on a 2 yr PCP leaving a fcuking huge final payment.

I can already hear some members saying "No Brainer" get the M5! but before I finish this thread I have to say the M5 turned out to be exactly as I expected, very very quick, great sound, butch looks, superb interior quality/colour, novelty to drive with HUD, paddles etc. etc. The dream turned to reality. "BUT" in the real world I need to run my car as a business tool and in terms of running costs i.e. 12mpg, at least double my current insurance premium, bigger deprieciation by percentage and servicing I'm saying to myself is it worth it? Not just in terms of the extra cost but the massive extra cost involved? The car is fast and as we did over 100mph in what seemed like nano seconds I thought to myself if I had this car I would risk jail every time I tried out its full ability so whats the point.

My other problem is that my 535d is a fabulous car, only 12 months old and the best car in the real world in terms of performance/economy/comfort.

So in a nutshell do you guys think its worth the extra cost based on my circumstances to get an M5? Or should I keep mine and have it DMS'd?
Old 04-03-2006, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='263951' date='Apr 3 2006, 07:29 AM
Went to a friends party yesterday and a guy turns up in his stunning recently purchased 64k Intergalagos Blue M5 with all the toys. He took me for a blast and let me drive back. If you've never been in one all I can say is its a fantastic car , if you have then you know how good it is.

I can get a used model for around 64k similar to the one I drove and have my wifes backing, however I'm not in a position to just simply write out a cheque, I would need to part chop my 1yr old 12,000 mile 535d sport, which I believe is worth about 35k as a part chop (it was a few months ago when I enquired after an M5) then I would need to put down about 20k cash and have the balance on a 2 yr PCP leaving a fcuking huge final payment.

I can already hear some members saying "No Brainer" get the M5! but before I finish this thread I have to say the M5 turned out to be exactly as I expected, very very quick, great sound, butch looks, superb interior quality/colour, novelty to drive with HUD, paddles etc. etc. The dream turned to reality. "BUT" in the real world I need to run my car as a business tool and in terms of running costs i.e. 12mpg, at least double my current insurance premium, bigger deprieciation by percentage and servicing I'm saying to myself is it worth it? Not just in terms of the extra cost but the massive extra cost involved? The car is fast and as we did over 100mph in what seemed like nano seconds I thought to myself if I had this car I would risk jail every time I tried out its full ability so whats the point.

My other problem is that my 535d is a fabulous car, only 12 months old and the best car in the real world in terms of performance/economy/comfort.

So in a nutshell do you guys think its worth the extra cost based on my circumstances to get an M5? Or should I keep mine and have it DMS'd?
That's a tough question & one to which only you know the answer.

As an all-round car, the 535D can't be faulted & believe me the DMS re-map makes a huuuuge difference, however i love the M5 & if i wasn't saving furiously for my dream car in March 2008, then i'd have seriously considered aquiring one again.

I ordered one of the early E60 M5's whilst i had my modified RS6, but after driving one it was not quite special or quick enough compared to my Audi (my priorities have changed since) to warrant the extra ??'s plus the dealer offered me ?6K to take my slot so it was a no brainer to let it go.

If i was in the market today for a performance saloon, the E60 M5 would win hands down, as nothing else comes close (my RS6 was a little bit special) so i'd defo take one, but the running costs right now scare me, the small fuel tank & general daily useability are things that generally turn me away from the M5.

So horses for courses, if you want a capable, rapid & stunning 4 door saloon, then the M5 is the way to go, but keeping a sensible head on i'd stick with the 535D & spend a few hundred on the DMS re-map to satisfy your performance urges.

All IMHO.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Media Package, Bluetooth, Bi-xenon headlamps, adaptive headlamps, auto dimming interior mirror, heated folding door mirrors, electric front seats with drivers memory, heated front seats, extended light package, sun protection glass, electrically adjustable steering column, automatic air conditioning.

If it were me I would go for the M5, but I reckon it depends a lot on how much mileage you will be putting on it, a high mileage 535d will be a lot easier to sell than a high mileage M5. The only reason I got rid of my old car (a Merc C43) is that I was doing a lot of mileage (I was spending about ?600 a month on petrol )
Old 04-03-2006, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

m5 running costs would be extortionate, i would really stay with the 535d unless you are having your mid-life crisis already
Old 04-03-2006, 06:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='263951' date='Apr 3 2006, 01:29 PM
my 535d is a fabulous car, only 12 months old and the best car in the real world in terms of performance/economy/comfort.
Answered your own question Merv?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='263951' date='Apr 3 2006, 01:29 PM
Nice problem to have !

Remember that, no matter what car you get - you'll still always want more.

I've just got my 530d and am already thinking - should I have got something less sensible or faster.

I don't think you'd have that much more fun on the road in the M5 than in the 535d (especially if you have it DMS'd)

M5's going to cost you big. This might be worth it to have the ultimate, but how long before you start thinking about an M6 (it goes on and on).

If this is a business tool, then you couldn't really have chosen a better car than the 535d.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Saloon. Silver Grey. Black leather.

It would be the 535D and a DMS job for me..in fact that's exactly what I am doing next week.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

If you have to stop and calculate the added costs of an M5, it's not right for you. And that doesn't include the cost of "I told you sos" for the next X years from your indulgent wife.

Stay put,
Ray Hull
Old 04-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

True, tough choice, but for all practical purpose keep the 535d and get yourself some M5 mirror's to go with the M-pack and sweeten your ride even more
Old 04-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is DMS?

Can I have this done to my 2006 525i

Thanks

Quick Reply: Buy used M5 or keep 535d and chip it?