Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

BMWFS Leasing Spreadsheet

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Although I've never leased a car, I've helped a few friends negotiate deals on their cars, some of which have included leasing. If you think negotiating the purchase price is fun, wait until you try to lease---it's like a shell game. So I decided to create a spreadsheet which mimics the BMWFS leasing system, so I could easily keep track of all the moving pieces. The attached spreadsheet calculates the monthly lease payment exactly the same as the BMWFS system does, so you can't get a snow job from your friendly dealer. Once you have a view of all the important variables, it makes the conversation with the dealer so much easier.

Lease Spreadsheet
Old 10-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Members

My Ride: Acura MDX 2003 (Nav, Rear DVD) "The Kids Mobile" BMW R1100RT 1996 (motorcylce) BMW 550i or M5 coming soon....

Very good spreadsheet. I have a very similar one that I have used your years that gives the same payment results. It is a great tool, especially when I bring my laptop to the dealer and start negotiating.

My only question on your numbers is that I noticed you had a down payment of $3,050. Did you put this down payment when you leased your car? Did you considered not putting any money down. I am also planning the lease a new 550i and I thinks that it might be better not to put any money down. What do you guys think?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by enieves' date='Oct 23 2005, 09:38 PM
Very good spreadsheet.? I have a very similar one that I have used your years that gives the same payment results.? It is a great tool, especially when I bring my laptop to the dealer and start negotiating.

My only question on your numbers is that I noticed you had a down payment of $3,050.? Did you put this down payment when you leased your car?? Did you considered not putting any money down.? I am also planning the lease a new 550i and I thinks that it might be better not to put any money down.? What do you guys think?
[snapback]187850[/snapback]
As I said in my post, I've never leased a car--the example in the spreadsheet was for a car I helped a friend buy. She wanted her total drive away to be $5K, so the ~$3K cap reduction was not a conscious amount.

How much (if any) down payment (cap reduction) is one of those questions that doesn't have a right answer. Some people would rather have no down payment (which causes higher monthly payments, all other things being equal), while others might be trying to get to a certain monthly payment and use the down payment to achieve that.