Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

BMW Maintenance Programs remains core part of BMW's strategy

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam530' post='283990' date='May 17 2006, 09:21 PM
I purchased the Factory Extended Warranty and Maintenance Program to 100K miles. Why won't my dealer (Bob Smith BMW Calabassas, CA) cover a simple software upgrade? I brought my car in after 50K miles and the dealership declined it, then BMWNA Customer Relations verified that it was NOT covered. What good is an extended warranty that doesn't even cover software upgrades? Are you sure you're from BMWNA Cust. Relations?

I am well within my warranty and I cannot just go in and request a software upgrade. Not sure how it was done with you before, but I can assure you that it's not common practice. Anyway, if it was a problem related issues, I can understand your irritation, but if you just want to do it because it's cool, well I can see their why they're saying what they are.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

Originally Posted by Chorethorious' post='283998' date='May 17 2006, 09:55 PM
I am well within my warranty and I cannot just go in and request a software upgrade. Not sure how it was done with you before, but I can assure you that it's not common practice. Anyway, if it was a problem related issues, I can understand your irritation, but if you just want to do it because it's cool, well I can see their why they're saying what they are.

What is "cool" about an upgrade? It was an I-drive warning message (active steering fault) and the dealership/BMWNA both explained that if the repair consisted of a software upgrade to fix (no actual part being replaced) that it would NOT be covered under extended warranty.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Senior Members

Here in South Africa it's called Motorplan by BMW. It's been around for years.
You get 5 years or 100000km which ever comes first.
If the CBS indicator shows that one item needs attention eg. front brakes and one of the others is not far behind but not yet indicating, then they will do both at the same time.

They are however very strict as far as the indicators are concerned. And if you insist on the items being dealt with before time then you must pay.

Nice thing though is that wipers, car battery etc. are all aslo covered.

It's great peace of mind driving knowing that it wont heart your pocket regardless of what goes wrong anywhere in the country.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by sam530' post='284000' date='May 17 2006, 10:07 PM
What is "cool" about an upgrade? It was an I-drive warning message (active steering fault) and the dealership/BMWNA both explained that if the repair consisted of a software upgrade to fix (no actual part being replaced) that it would NOT be covered under extended warranty.
This is one of the reasons I can't see spending money to extend my factory warranty. Too many software related bugs/fixes, and if software is excluded from coverage, what good is that? I feel your irritation.....
Old 05-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Maintenance intervals on motor vehicles have conventionally been specified based upon accumulated mileage. However, the type of driving conditions has a major influence on routine maintenance requirements.

The advanced technologies at BMW have led to the development of the unique BMW Service Interval Indicator System which computes the actual optimum maintenance requirements. This is based not only upon the accumulated mileage, but taking into account important factors such as engine coolant temperatures, high or low engine speeds, short or long trip driving, and number of vehicle starts.

Further information is available in your Service and Warranty Information Booklet. The Service Indicator lights will notify the proximity of the next maintenance (oil service / inspection.)

If you have additional questions regarding engine oil change or the BMW Maintenance System, please contact us at (800) 831-1117 or at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200613801159 so that we can help you more efficiently.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations' post='284253' date='May 18 2006, 12:18 PM
Maintenance intervals on motor vehicles have conventionally been specified based upon accumulated mileage. However, the type of driving conditions has a major influence on routine maintenance requirements.

The advanced technologies at BMW have led to the development of the unique BMW Service Interval Indicator System which computes the actual optimum maintenance requirements. This is based not only upon the accumulated mileage, but taking into account important factors such as engine coolant temperatures, high or low engine speeds, short or long trip driving, and number of vehicle starts.

Further information is available in your Service and Warranty Information Booklet. The Service Indicator lights will notify the proximity of the next maintenance (oil service / inspection.)

If you have additional questions regarding engine oil change or the BMW Maintenance System, please contact us at (800) 831-1117 or at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200613801159 so that we can help you more efficiently.
Are we talking with a robot? Is there a camera on in here?
Old 05-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='284289' date='May 18 2006, 11:01 AM
Are we talking with a robot? Is there a camera on in here?
I does sound a bit "canned" doesn't it?

I would like to hear a response to the software exclusion from warranty/service plans.........
Old 05-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sam530' post='284000' date='May 17 2006, 10:07 PM
Wow, I cannot believe they skipped that part in the warranty spiel. I got it and I didn't even get the extended warranty, the spiel that is. I'm sorry about your situation. Hopefully you get it resolved.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Now with all that said. can you offer me a free in between oil change?
Old 05-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='284329' date='May 18 2006, 12:17 PM
Now with all that said. can you offer me a free in between oil change?
LOL, that would be useful. I have never heard of going 15k miles between oil changes.. but they say you really don't need to with these newer engines.. I just dunno

Quick Reply: BMW Maintenance Programs remains core part of BMW's strategy