Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

BMW Maintenance Package Blows

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically here is the deal.

I bought a 2004 530 in perfect condition about 45 days ago. Since then I have had nothing but good things to say about the car. However, the problem I have is with seriously annoying brake squeaking. Sounds bad. The guys at the dealer last week said it was normal and that I had brake pad / rotor meat left. The other thing I found out is that you can't have any maintenance done on the car "for free" with my BMW Maintenance package unless the car says its "ok" to do so.

So the previous owner braked hard apparently and now that I will probably have to change the brakes in 7,000 miles instead of 12,000 (like the car says), I'll most-likely be stuck paying for the entire brake job out of pocket.

What good is the fuckin maintenance package then eh? /vent off
Old 07-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530.sport,premium,cold weather:2005 545,sport,cold weather.logic 7 sound,Dinan Stage 3

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='634172' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:56 AM

I bought a 2004 530 in perfect condition about 45 days ago. Since then I have had nothing but good things to say about the car. However, the problem I have is with seriously annoying brake squeaking. Sounds bad. The guys at the dealer last week said it was normal and that I had brake pad / rotor meat left. The other thing I found out is that you can't have any maintenance done on the car "for free" with my BMW Maintenance package unless the car says its "ok" to do so.

So the previous owner braked hard apparently and now that I will probably have to change the brakes in 7,000 miles instead of 12,000 (like the car says), I'll most-likely be stuck paying for the entire brake job out of pocket.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530.sport,premium,cold weather:2005 545,sport,cold weather.logic 7 sound,Dinan Stage 3

Actually there are sensors in the brakes that will tell you when a brake job is needed.It does not go by milage.If you have a squeak in the brakes there is a spray they can put on to take the noise away.What do you mean when you say you have to wait until 12,000 mile mark to have them done? My wife has a 530 with a maintainance/warranty and everything was taken care of.Talk to your service advisor.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='634172' date='Jul 28 2008, 07:56 AM

I brought mine in for a routine service and mentioned to them that my passenger front brake was squeaking. They ended up replacing all pads and rotors under the warranty I can't remember what mileage that the service reminder said I had left, but it was a long way away.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525I/TITANIUM SILVER METALLIC/GREY LEATHER INTERIOR/EURO RED REFLECTORS/20% TINT/EURO STICKER/BMW CCA STICKER

I have a little squeaking as well. The spray will work. I have to get some of it. Its true...the senors will tell when the brakes need replacing....thus the CAR will be saying I need new brakes. They will replace them when that happens.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White '04 530i

Actually, there is a SIB for this problem. Do a search here and you'll find it. Something about "incorrect wear geometry" or something like that. I had the same problem and brought in the SIB and they replaced pads/rotors under the SIB even though I was not due for a brake job for another 10k miles or so.

UPDATE: I had saved the SIB as a PDF to my computer....just had to find it. This info originally came from this site.
Brake_Squealing_Service_Bulletin_for_E60.pdf
Old 08-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 550i - Sport, CWP, Logic 7

Brake squeaking??

I know it is annoying. But c'mon. Brakes pads are super easy to change and don't cost a lot. You'll go through a set in one track day.

But as I digress, I totally understand your POV.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='634172' date='Jul 28 2008, 10:56 AM

When I first bought my car i noticed the exact same squealing...brought it to the dealer and they changed all the pads without question...said that the stock pads were known to make noise so they replaced them with new sets - for free.

I also purchased the maintenance plan.