Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

BMW buyback car purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone ever bought one of the cars that has been a BMW buy back?

My girlfriend is looking at a loaded 2006 330i sport and after I talked to the dealer they told me it was a buyback because of some kind of "steering noise." It has about 30K mile and they say it's now been fixed and of course the car is priced to sell with the full remainder of manufacturer's warranty...etc

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this, good or bad.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

You should seriously factor in that the vehicle was a "buy back" when negociating on your price only after you have fully prepared yourself to assume someone else's headache.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Wouldn't this be the very definition of "buying someone else's problem"...? There is no way I would buy a car that was so problematic that BMW agreed to buy it back.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525

run
Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Members

My Ride: Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown Dakota Leather | Bamboo Anthracite wood trim | Premium Package | Adaptive Xenon Headlights | Sport Package | Active Steering | STEPTRONIC automatic transmission | Power rear sunshade with rear manual side window shades | Park Distance Control |18" Star Spoke 124 | IPod® Interface Adapter. Single CD player that plays MP3z | 5% Tint

My previous 7 was a buy back I was the 3rd owner and the 2nd owner was the one that bought it after it was a buy back @ a reduced price with full manufacture warranty. He never told me this and I wouldn't have bought it if I knew. It went lemon after all so I don't want you to be in this situation in the near future. Good luck
Old 02-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Members

thanks for the responses.. I honestly didn't know they ever sold these cars again once they were "bought back"... I just figured they turned into permanent loaners, rentals...whatever.

I was surprised and curious... think I'll stay away.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Contributors

depends on many factors :

1. are you leasing or owning?
2. why was it bought back? there are mechanical issues which will be noted on as a "legend" or "disclaimer"on the car. then there are satisfaction reasons. (I bought 1 a couple years ago, original owner ordered with rear multimedia package. care came in without it. I'll take those anyday.
3. the discount involved.

I wouldn't buy one without leasing because resale value is shot, regardless. You can potentially save $7000 or more if and when you can find these. many dealers don't even get involved with them.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

i wouldn't even consider it...these cars are very temperamental so they may have fixed the initial problem, but that may have caused another issue to go wrong with the car. You and your g/f will have more headaches than satisfaction and enjoyment out of the car. that's just my .02
Also, some dealerships may not even take in as a trade when you guys decide to change it in a few years...something to think about.
GL.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wassy' post='794032' date='Feb 16 2009, 11:16 AM
depends on many factors :

1. are you leasing or owning?
2. why was it bought back? there are mechanical issues which will be noted on as a "legend" or "disclaimer"on the car. then there are satisfaction reasons. (I bought 1 a couple years ago, original owner ordered with rear multimedia package. care came in without it. I'll take those anyday.
3. the discount involved.

I wouldn't buy one without leasing because resale value is shot, regardless. You can potentially save $7000 or more if and when you can find these. many dealers don't even get involved with them.
1. Owning...

2. I just double checked, it was bought back because of brake and steering "noise." They are saying that mechanically it was always "fine" but that the owner complained of noisy braking and noisey steering at low parking lot speed...

3. They are asking 18.5K.. completely loaded '06 330i sport w/ 30K miles...

I would in no way just crash carelessly into this deal, I meticulously searched for months before I bought my 545i, however I always like trying to find a deal if one is to be had.

This is just news to me that buy backs are re-sold.

I'm skeptical of this, naturally, but wanted to play devil's advocate here:

As much of a headache as this car was for the prior owner, I imagine it was likewise quite a headache for the dealership... If I'm the dealer, and I put this thing back on the streets, I would want to be damn sure it was functioning properly so as not to hear version2.0 of the bitching about this same car...
Old 02-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Members

Make sure it's not now titled as a "lemon law buyback" or else once you own it- you'll never be able to sell it

Quick Reply: BMW buyback car purchase...