Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Anyone received a 545 built after ECU/DME issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545iA Titanium Silver/Gray, Poplar----Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Audio, Heated Rear Seats

Given that some of us are waiting for cars languishing at VPCs awaiting a new ECU, I wonder if production since July 6 is being delivered on schedule, or if all subsequent V8-V12 production has been delayed.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Contributors

Mine was built the last week in July and is sitting in the driveway right now.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Titanium Silver/Gray, Poplar----Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Audio, Heated Rear Seats

Thanks, Ultra.

That tends to support my assertion that lack of ECUs is not the reason for delays being experienced by some of us in the US with cars which have remained at VPCs for 3 weeks and more.

Enjoy the new ride.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Tim C, while it lends some support, keep in mind that these modules are likely (though I don't know for sure) built especially for the E60 and the manufacturer just may not have the ability to meet the added demand of the relacement modules on top of the regular production demand. If that is the case, then the real argument is whether BMW should take some of the modules destined for the production line and use them to fix the cars that folks have already paid for! I can only imagine how frustrating it is to know your new baby is sitting there at the VPC, so close, yet so far...
Old 08-10-2004, 04:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Aug 10 2004, 02:14 PM
.... take some of the modules destined for the production line and use them to fix the cars that folks have already paid for ....
I think that is what Tim C is trying to find out with his original question. Are they diverting parts to fix cars already sold or continuing with production as scheduled?

That's how I read it anyway. Kind of stinks but I guess you will PO fewer people in the long run and not have a bunch of factory workers sitting around on their hands.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:32 AM
Members

Exactly, Ultra. If BMW can place good ECUs in vehicles built during the last week in July, why are vehicles built in June and early July still waiting for this part?

The only answers I can think of are that they lack sufficient labor at the VPCs to replace the modules in a timely manner; or if they do not have enough good ECUs at hand, they are unwilling to alter factory production schedules by diverting parts for the older builds.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I understand the options, my point (poorly made) was that there were a limited supply of the DME modules and that BMW had chosen to not alter the factory production schedule to get the DME out to those older cars waiting for parts. I personally think this is a mistake as they are obviously making buyers angry and, as TimC discussed in another post, if folks start walking away from 2004 cars awaiting parts, BMW N.A. is going to be stuck with a bunch of cars to sell.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

Or worse yet, going to another manufacturer. The only reason I am sticking around is I want a manual tranny and MB and Audi doesn't offer them with the V-8 in the US.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Aug 10 2004, 09:44 AM
I understand the options, my point (poorly made) was that there were a limited supply of the DME modules and that BMW had chosen to not alter the factory production schedule to get the DME out to those older cars waiting for parts. I personally think this is a mistake as they are obviously making buyers angry and, as TimC discussed in another post, if folks start walking away from 2004 cars awaiting parts, BMW N.A. is going to be stuck with a bunch of cars to sell.
It would be interesting to know how many vehicles are waiting for ECUs at the Prep Centers. I believe the BMW NA recall included 5, 6, 7 and X5 (V8s & V12s) models to the tune of several thousand units. How many were at the VPCs at the time, plus how many arrived thereafter is the big question.

I have yet to hear of anyone getting an ordered car held at the VPC for this recall. Anyone?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

I agree, no one here has one that has been delivered. What kills me is my dealer has some DME's and the VPC doesn't.

Quick Reply: Anyone received a 545 built after ECU/DME issue?