Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Am I getting a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 08:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond! I just placed my order for a 2005 530i at $1,700 above invoice, down from the dealer's initial offer of $2,900 above invoice.

Maybe I could have done a few hundred dollars better, but I'm pretty happy with the deal I got, and am relieved to finally have my order in. Now the waiting begins.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ornament' date='Sep 16 2004, 05:15 AM
[quote name='alohalc' date='Sep 15 2004, 04:48 PM']you are very welcome .? please let us know how it goes .
Of course I will. Thanks for all of your advice. [/quote]
Old 09-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PeterK' date='Sep 16 2004, 06:53 AM
Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond! I just placed my order for a 2005 530i at $1,700 above invoice, down from the dealer's initial offer of $2,900 above invoice.

Maybe I could have done a few hundred dollars better, but I'm pretty happy with the deal I got, and am relieved to finally have my order in. Now the waiting begins.
so you've saved another $1,200...my consulting fee is $1,199 for e60.net fellows. tax included .
Old 09-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Members

I placed order today at my closest dealer. Just 5 min!! Talked to the salesman which options are needed, and he wrote down them on an order sheet, gave $1k check, he gave me back a copy of it, that's it. How easy to place such a big order !! (of course, I did not say any price matter at all).
Still I do not know our delivery, but I am very exiting about it. Now my real waiting begins..... but I want to enjoy this 2 or 3 months by ordering some of the goods at bavauto.com. Any suggestions?
Old 09-18-2004, 10:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ornament' date='Sep 18 2004, 07:40 PM
I placed order today at my closest dealer. Just 5 min!! Talked to the salesman which options are needed, and he wrote down them on an order sheet, gave $1k check, he gave me back a copy of it, that's it. How easy to place such a big order !! (of course, I did not say any price matter at all).
Still I do not know our delivery, but I am very exiting about it. Now my real waiting begins..... but I want to enjoy this 2 or 3 months by ordering some of the goods at bavauto.com. Any suggestions?
so you haven't bargained with the sales advisor yet, right?

for the accessories, i'd definitely get the red reflector, chrome grilles if you ordered 525/530, wood shifter and/or wood e-brake, all-weather rubber mats, wheels, cleaning products, etc. but don't order anything yet. you may want to talk to your sales advisor and see if he can throw some of them in for you and give you discount for the others . that was what i did .
Old 09-19-2004, 05:50 AM
Members

My Ride: (Expecting Oct. 2004) 2005 530i Sport package, premium sound package,premium package, xenon's, HUD, sat radio, cold weather package, navagation

I wanted a 545 but the 4 dealers I went to wanted MSRP they used the old supply and demand on it. So I decided on a 530I with all the options for $1700 over invoice. I think I am always going to wish i had the 545. we will see it should be here in october.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:50 AM
Contributors

I haven't read the complete 4 page thread, but enough to know, I have read many of the same on differant forums. Yes it makes one very happy to grind out the lowest possable price on a BMW,in light of what I feel is a slightly over priced 525/530 models. But, the big But, to me that isn't always the best way to purchase a luxury car.

Let me explain how I purchased my new 545i , in service date Aug.30, 2004, and when all was said and done I'm quite happy. Also let me say I'm not the keenest at hammering the lowest price, and this is the fourth new BMW I purchased from same dealer/same salesman.

In mid June I desided I wanted a new 545i, I had difficulty test driving one do to the DME problems and very few were on lots. I drove with my son to one dealer , I didn't have my drivers licence with me so I could'nt test drive , but my son did. My son is an airline pilot with a great sense of dynamics, and driving skills, but still not the same as being behind the wheel.

So while I waited for a test car to become available I drove many 525/530's , with differant options and new what I wanted. At my dealership the GM flipped me the keys to his loaded all black 530 with about 3500 miles, he said take it for as long as you want, if you like it I'll give you a nice deal on it, I wanted the 545 so no good deal would have worked for me.

Finally after months of calling around my dealer had three 545's arrive , all with less then 5 miles on them. Drove all three picked the one I liked best, it had 1.5 miles on it to start, before I signed the papers I test drove it for 44 miles. I got the model/color/options I wanted, recieved
a 4% discount from MSRP , approx. 2400.00, recieved the exact amount I asked for for my 330Ci
trade, in Ohio there is a 8% new car sales tax, so the trade saved me another 2400.00 in bottom line cost. I recieved rubber mats, a couple of key chains, and a cleaning kit, was treated
like a king , and left with a smile on my bearded face.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but some posters feel they need to Rizzo a deal, or post about 1000.00 over invoice deals, maybe some of these guys should just look to a less expensive car
brand if overall price is there driving force in the purchase.

DR.Z
Old 09-19-2004, 07:02 AM

It is amazing the disparity between dealers. My local (San Antonio) dealer refuses to discount anything on '05s while they have '04s on the lot. This is dispite going into them with five other offers from dealers willing to sell for $3K above invoice. Be it that the next closest dealer is about 50 minutes away. I know that others are getting better in other parts of the country. I am just amazed of the different selling strategy of differeny dealers some willing to discount and others trying to sell every vehicle for as close to full price as possible. Getting close to MSRP has been my local dealers strategy for at least the last couple years that I know of. Do others have similar dealers in their area?
Old 09-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Sep 15 2004, 02:47 AM
[quote name='NS545i' date='Sep 14 2004, 08:27 PM'] I got mine (BMW 545i steptronic) around $2100 below invoice. The dealer in my local town here? was actually much nicer than the dealers close to Chicago and Indianapolis that I dealt with. They were willing to knock off substantially more on a 530i, but were not as comfortable discounting the 545 because of its availability.
are you trying to say $2100 below msrp, not invoice, right? i wouldn't mind to get anything $2100 below invoice . [/quote]
Oops, yes, I meant 2100 below MSRP!!
Old 09-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Originally Posted by DR.Z' date='Sep 19 2004, 08:50 AM
I'm not trying to insult anyone, but some posters feel they need to Rizzo a deal, or post about 1000.00 over invoice deals, maybe some of these guys should just look to a less expensive car
brand if overall price is there driving force in the purchase.

DR.Z
It is nice to see there are others who realize there is more to buying a car than the price. I will pay to be treated like a King.

Quick Reply: Am I getting a good deal?