Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Am I getting a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.do your home work here
2.research invoice price from internet
3.plugs information into Excel to make analysis what's reasonable that you should pay for it.
4. brings data with you
5 done deal within 20 minutes.
that's how I did
Old 09-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ornament' date='Sep 14 2004, 08:10 PM
Another question is for pros & cons of customer order. Most likely I will not pick up a car from the dealer's show window or inventory but order thru some of the picked up dealer. The salesman said that I can order my own 545 by just depositing a few k$ with no obligation. If I do not want to buy it when I will see it, they will reimburse me with no penalty. Is it true? Or do I have to negotiate all of the conditions and prices upfront and write a note with them? I think this is the alohalc's advice above. correct? What if another dealer will give me a better deal after ordering from the 1st dealer, can I swap and get the original one?
i personally think the pros for customer order is the car is yours. means no other dealers can touch it even if they see it in the computer. unlike a lot other car dealers, bmw has no obligation to buy policy which is always good. the cons are you have to go back and ask or even beg for your money back if you don't want the car. in fact, bmw is confident enough when you see the car, you'll take it. what i did is tell them order my car, didn't even want to waste time to talk about the numbers at that day, have them call me when the car is here, went back and talked about the price, signed everything and took the car home. i think it's better to talk about the price when the car is in the lot. not only you have more time to shop around and do more research. also they have an extra car sitting in the lot and need to get rid of. they want to sell the car to you and have everything done the very moment. if you find a better deal from another dealer, don't worry, tell the first dealer and they are willing to match or beat the better price. especially they have the car sitting there. if not, just walk out and get the car from the better price one. good luck .
Old 09-15-2004, 12:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NS545i' date='Sep 14 2004, 08:27 PM
I got mine (BMW 545i steptronic) around $2100 below invoice. The dealer in my local town here was actually much nicer than the dealers close to Chicago and Indianapolis that I dealt with. They were willing to knock off substantially more on a 530i, but were not as comfortable discounting the 545 because of its availability.
are you trying to say $2100 below msrp, not invoice, right? i wouldn't mind to get anything $2100 below invoice .
Old 09-15-2004, 12:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ornament' date='Sep 14 2004, 08:32 PM
1.5k over the invoice comes from '04 545i. I am not sure it is still good for '05 model since I cannot get any on-line quote of '05 cars yet.
no online quote is ok. just look up the phone book and find all the dealers that you are willing to travel to. call them up and have them give you quotes. it works the same as online quote except you have to do the works. i think 1.5k over the invoice is ok for the '05 models.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Originally Posted by ornament' date='Sep 15 2004, 12:32 AM
[quote name='alohalc' date='Sep 14 2004, 05:13 PM']
no, its 1.5k off msrp not 1.5k more than invoice
i'm referring to the quote that he got from carsdirect.com .
1.5k over the invoice comes from '04 545i. I am not sure it is still good for '05 model since I cannot get any on-line quote of '05 cars yet. [/quote]
As I said earlier in the thread, I could easily get the recomended $1,000 above invoice, but I don't want a 2004. I want a 2005. I would rather spend $1,200 more for a care which will not depreciate $5,000 to $10,000 the first day I drive it off. A 2005 will not depreciate like a 2004 does buying it at the end of the year.

Next time look at the big picture when buying a car. There is much more to think about than the magical $1,000 off invoice.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Sep 15 2004, 01:45 AM
what i did is tell them order my car, didn't even want to waste time to talk about the numbers at that day, have them call me when the car is here, went back and talked about the price, signed everything and took the car home. i think it's better to talk about the price when the car is in the lot. not only you have more time to shop around and do more research. also they have an extra car sitting in the lot and need to get rid of. they want to sell the car to you and have everything done the very moment. if you find a better deal from another dealer, don't worry, tell the first dealer and they are willing to match or beat the better price. especially they have the car sitting there. if not, just walk out and get the car from the better price one. good luck .
Hello alohalc, your advice clears all of my hesitation to go to the next step. Infact, I wanted to rush to the dealer and order, or even grab a car sitting in their lots. But, I want to order my own specs since I have nothing to lose for this deal. I will obviously visit my closest dealer and order my specs in coming weekend. On the other hand, I will keep researching another dealers to get better $$. Thanks a lot!!
Old 09-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I will obviously visit my closest dealer and order my specs in coming weekend. On the other hand, I will keep researching another dealers to get better $$. Thanks a lot!! [/quote]
You should be able to give a $1,000.00 refundable deposit to order your car.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ornament' date='Sep 15 2004, 09:53 AM
Hello alohalc, your advice clears all of my hesitation to go to the next step. Infact, I wanted to rush to the dealer and order, or even grab a car sitting in their lots. But, I want to order my own specs since I have nothing to lose for this deal. I will obviously visit my closest dealer and order my specs in coming weekend. On the other hand, I will keep researching another dealers to get better $$. Thanks a lot!!
you are very welcome . please let us know how it goes .
Old 09-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Sep 15 2004, 02:59 AM
As I said earlier in the thread, I could easily get the recomended $1,000 above invoice, but I don't want a 2004. I want a 2005. I would rather spend $1,200 more for a care which will not depreciate $5,000 to $10,000 the first day I drive it off. A 2005 will not depreciate like a 2004 does buying it at the end of the year.

Next time look at the big picture when buying a car. There is much more to think about than the magical $1,000 off invoice.
i totally understand and agree with you but $1-1.5k over invoice applies to all new cars, even '05 models. of course some more and some less.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Sep 15 2004, 04:48 PM
you are very welcome .? please let us know how it goes .
Of course I will. Thanks for all of your advice.

Quick Reply: Am I getting a good deal?