Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Alpha Full Coverage - AAAutoWarranty.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:31 AM
WJM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WJM' post='830541' date='Mar 30 2009, 11:01 AM
I am probably going to make a decision within a week of so. AA Auto has my attention because of the price and duration(125k miles).

I will be calling Fidelity and some others to check their prices and coverage for my newly purchased '06 530xiT with 57k miles.

Pls share any lead that you have.

THX

Here is another link that I found.

http://www.autowarrantyguide.com/extendedwarranty/
Old 03-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jagbagri' post='831437' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:40 AM
The reason I said that because I did not know anybody explicitly put iDrive coverage in writing, the best you can get is electrical is covered BUT when it comes to idrive, they refuse to cover it, like BMW's own CPO coverage. At least that's what I have gathered here, no direct experience. And if you can find some company put out idrive coverage in writing it is bound to be more expensive than others. The question is do you really want to have your idrive covered that badly?

Having said all that. I do NOT have any direct or indirect experience with any of the 3rd party or BMW warranties.
As a matter of fact I will be looking for getting coverage for myself. Warranty is expiring in August of this year and want to get one before that happens.

NOW, drawing from your experience, which one of the few you mentioned above, would you rate better than other and still being reasonably priced. How do you get the Toyota to extend the BMW warranty. Where do you get one. I have a family member work for Toyota plant, so I might be able to get some discount from Toyota if they sell it. Who do you contact?

Thanks.
Facts, opinions, thoughts, etc:

1. BMW does not cover IDrive after original 48 months.
2. Inclusionary warranties do not cover IDrive, unless, perhaps, you pay an extra premium.
3. Therefore, if you want coverage on IDrive, go with an exclusionay warranty.
4. Visit several car dealers (F&I dept) and ask which of their warrs are exclusionary.
5. Ask which of their warrs require physical breakage.
6. Ask which warrs refuse to cover any items that have had a TSB on them. That is well hidden in the contract.
7. Be aware that many warranties will not cover worn or noisey parts.
8. Be aware that many warrs will not cover pre-existing conditions.
9. In other words, if mechanic says that this thing looks like it has been failing for 2 years, that part(s) will not be covered.
10. Re pricing: give them your car date of service, end of warranty date, current mileage, etc.
11. Re pricing: Decide on deductible and length of warranty (miles and months).
12. Re best warr, ask F&I person which of their products has more complaints.
13. Quietly go back to service mgr and ask him which warr is better, in his opinion.
14. Is deductible per repair or per visit. You can have 2 or 3 items per visit.

Selecting a good warranty can take significant time and effort. Need to ask a ton of questions. Need to research the companies on the internet. Need to identify the financial backer of the warr co.

Keep in mind that about a dozen warr cos go bankrupt each year. Coverage immediately stops.

15. My best recommendation is that you take the actual contract and read the detail. Get a hi-lighter and use it to note anything that catches your attention.

I have had a couple of Toyota warrs on 2 different oldsmobiles. No problems.
I have a GMPP on a CTS; never used it. I have great confidence in it.

I expect to buy a warr within next few months--my car is still in warr for one more year. I will likely buy a warr this year to beat price increases, and I have a great working relationship with some local family owned dealerships.

My parameters for selecting a warr company?

1. financial stability.
2. I want 4 to 6 years of coverage from the time I start the new contract.
3. I want an additional 60,000 miles on top of current mileage.
4. I want an exclusionary warranty, and one that covers the IDrive.
5. I want a warr that covers worn parts, not just parts that break.
6. I want zero deductible.
7. Approx lowest price that I have seen: $1400.
8. Approx highest price: $2100.
9. Range of prices: $1400, $1600, $1800, $1900, $2100.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='831792' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:20 PM

1. BMW does not cover IDrive after original 48 months.
2. Inclusionary warranties do not cover IDrive, unless, perhaps, you pay an extra premium.
3. Therefore, if you want coverage on IDrive, go with an exclusionay warranty.
4. Visit several car dealers (F&I dept) and ask which of their warrs are exclusionary.
5. Ask which of their warrs require physical breakage.
6. Ask which warrs refuse to cover any items that have had a TSB on them. That is well hidden in the contract.
7. Be aware that many warranties will not cover worn or noisey parts.
8. Be aware that many warrs will not cover pre-existing conditions.
9. In other words, if mechanic says that this thing looks like it has been failing for 2 years, that part(s) will not be covered.
10. Re pricing: give them your car date of service, end of warranty date, current mileage, etc.
11. Re pricing: Decide on deductible and length of warranty (miles and months).
12. Re best warr, ask F&I person which of their products has more complaints.
13. Quietly go back to service mgr and ask him which warr is better, in his opinion.
14. Is deductible per repair or per visit. You can have 2 or 3 items per visit.

Selecting a good warranty can take significant time and effort. Need to ask a ton of questions. Need to research the companies on the internet. Need to identify the financial backer of the warr co.

Keep in mind that about a dozen warr cos go bankrupt each year. Coverage immediately stops.

15. My best recommendation is that you take the actual contract and read the detail. Get a hi-lighter and use it to note anything that catches your attention.

I have had a couple of Toyota warrs on 2 different oldsmobiles. No problems.
I have a GMPP on a CTS; never used it. I have great confidence in it.

I expect to buy a warr within next few months--my car is still in warr for one more year. I will likely buy a warr this year to beat price increases, and I have a great working relationship with some local family owned dealerships.

1. financial stability.
Exactly the same process I just went through.
You definately want an exclusinary service plan that covers all parts except the list of excluded items and you want it from a stable company. Best to get "wear and tear" coverage as noted in #5 above.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you read the alpha warranty contract. I think it only covers $300 for radio and $300 for nav if I remember correctly.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Originally Posted by WJM' post='784224' date='Feb 3 2009, 02:30 PM
I found this link that recommends WarrantyDirect.com and Nation Warranty Corporation.

How To Buy An Auto Extended Warranty & Avoid Scams
http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm

Still doing my research....

THX 4 comments.

Please let us know, and me in particular, what you have decided and what warranty company you went with. I?m in position to buy Extended Warranty as well and will be very interested to know. I did some research and have heard not very positive things about Fidelity Warranty.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='831792' date='Mar 31 2009, 10:20 AM

1. financial stability.
Thanks for some really great points to pay attention for.
All your parameters listed above are great.. but where do you get such warranty for about $2K? Sounds very reasonable, in-fact sounds great. You got to hook me up!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jagbagri' post='832219' date='Mar 31 2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for some really great points to pay attention for.
All your parameters listed above are great.. but where do you get such warranty for about $2K? Sounds very reasonable, in-fact sounds great. You got to hook me up!!!
Chevy Cadillac dealer in Ebensburg, Pa. Methinks it is Black Chevy Cadillac. Actually, their website for GMPP is gmoutlet.com. Charts there show the choices, mileage, months, retail, and wholesale prices. Also, Fitchner Chevy in Montana. Then I visited several dealerships, including Toyota, Audi, Buick, and Honda. Surprisingly, most of these were below $2000. 0 deduct for 4 to 6 years for less than $2000.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:16 AM
WJM
Members

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='832368' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:30 PM
Chevy Cadillac dealer in Ebensburg, Pa. Methinks it is Black Chevy Cadillac. Actually, their website for GMPP is gmoutlet.com. Charts there show the choices, mileage, months, retail, and wholesale prices. Also, Fitchner Chevy in Montana. Then I visited several dealerships, including Toyota, Audi, Buick, and Honda. Surprisingly, most of these were below $2000. 0 deduct for 4 to 6 years for less than $2000.

I called this dealership( Black Pontiac Cadillac's GMOutlet - 1-877-472-9550 ) and they told me that I needed to be under original factory warranty to qualify to purchase a warranty from them. I am at 57k miles and therefore out of BMW factory coverage which excludes me from purchasing their coverage.

BTW, Fidelity dealers said the same thing.

I am therefore leaning strongly towards AA Autowarranty. As far as I understand they sell exclusionary warranties.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='832368' date='Mar 31 2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I looked over the info on the gmoutlet.com website and am interested. How do I receive pricing? I followed the directions on this page but I don't receive an instant quote.

http://www.gmoutlet.com/2001gmpppricing$$.html

I will just give them a call and see what the price is.

Thanks for any info.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by WJM' post='832775' date='Apr 1 2009, 07:16 AM
I called this dealership( Black Pontiac Cadillac's GMOutlet - 1-877-472-9550 ) and they told me that I needed to be under original factory warranty to qualify to purchase a warranty from them. I am at 57k miles and therefore out of BMW factory coverage which excludes me from purchasing their coverage.

BTW, Fidelity dealers said the same thing.

I am therefore leaning strongly towards AA Autowarranty. As far as I understand they sell exclusionary warranties.
I called them as well this morning, and not only you will have to be under factory warranty but it has to be under 3yr/36000 miles to get the GMPP warranty. She said GM policy, no exceptions. So even if you are still under BMW factory warranty (which I'm) you can't get this. so GM is out. Next, I'll check with Toyota warranty.

GM's plan does seems pretty exclusionary and very reasonable, I wish I had done this six months ago. Thanks for the great info though.

Quick Reply: Alpha Full Coverage - AAAutoWarranty.com